Random Music Talk CXVIII: Grabbing America By The...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is England is fantastic.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Martha, are you a fan of the band Goat and if not, why not?

Their career path seems to follow Dungen's more closely with each passing album.

I will look into that this weekend. My weekend with nothing on my calendar. :hyper:

Also, the new Purling Hiss album may be his best. No lie. I'm even thinking of going to see him on a Tuesday night in November at a venue I've never been to in LA.

Martha, are you a fan of the band Goat and if not, why not?

Their career path seems to follow Dungen's more closely with each passing album.

I listened to some of Requiem on bandcamp, then went out and bought it today at Fingerprints. If I like it a lot, they have the other two albums in stock there and I can go get them this week.

Thanks for the rec!

I listened to some of Requiem on bandcamp, then went out and bought it today at Fingerprints. If I like it a lot, they have the other two albums in stock there and I can go get them this week.

Thanks for the rec!

Awesome, glad you liked what you heard. I think you'll love World Music in particular.

Saw a Bowie tribute show last night. At Hamer Hall, which is just a horrible venue for a rock gig. There's no atmosphere and we were constantly scowled at for singing and dancing. The highlight by far was Tim Rogers (an Australian rock legend) doing Lazarus. He was really the only Bowie who did him justice. Steve Kilbey was absolutely awful.

Rock Hall of Fame: 2017 nominees announced:

Pearl Jam
Tupac
Depeche Mode
ELO
Jane's Addiction
Janet Jackson
Journey
The Cars
The Zombies
Yes
Bad Brains
Chaka Khan
Chic
J.Geils Band
Joan Baez
Joe Tex
Kraftwerk
MC5
Steppenwolf

I could see PJ and 2Pac getting in. Would love to see The Zombies and Yes get in this time.

Pearl Jam and Tupac should be shoe-ins.

Knowing the "Rock" hall, I'd venture we also get:

Janet Jackson

Chic

Joan Baez

Well, the Hall since day one did induct acts that weren't really considered "rock".

The first three years of inductees included:

James Brown
Ray Charles
Sam Cooke
Marvin Gaye
BB King
Clyde McPhatter
Smokey Robinson
Muddy Waters
Big Joe Turner
Jackie Wilson
The Supremes

Well, the Hall since day one did induct acts that weren't really considered "rock".

The first three years of inductees included:

James Brown
Ray Charles
Sam Cooke
Marvin Gaye
BB King
Clyde McPhatter
Smokey Robinson
Muddy Waters
Big Joe Turner
Jackie Wilson
The Supremes
Most of those artists are in some sub genre of rock, aka blues, soul etc. I have no issue there.
I would have no issue with Joan Baez were she to get in this year..

I kind of take issue with straight pop artists like Madonna. I mean should we expect Ariana Grande to be part of the RnR HOF Class of 2038?

I kind of want Journey to get in just to see if Perry will show up to the induction/if they'll play together. I know it's one of those 'reunions that will never happen', but we all thought that about Axl and Slash and look how that turned out.

I've never liked hip hop artists getting in, personally.

I've got less issue with that as the genres do intersect a bit with many hip hop artists using rock samples, lots of collaborations etc. Hip hop is closer in my not so humble opinion to rock than a lot of the mainstream pop.

They should just rename the place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom