Random Music Talk CXVIII: Grabbing America By The...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I like it. It's probably her most accessible work. Started listening to her when Innocence Is Kinky was new and usually find a handful of great songs per album.

That Battle Is Over is my favorite song of hers.

I watched that 4 hour Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers documentary that's on Netflix last week. Really dug it and learned a ton about the band that I, as a casual fan, did not know.

The Swedes will have no idea what he's saying during his acceptance speech, and it'll have nothing to do with a language barrier.

Hi, I'm NSW.

Here is some information, please skip it if you hate reading posts from people who you hate reading posts from.

After living back in NYC for two years, I moved to Los Angeles for the 3rd time this past Spring. I was summoned back to LA by my employers, but, they did not have to twist my arm; I missed LA and was more than ready to return. The only downside was leaving family behind again, but, nothing is ever utopian, etc.

When asked by coworkers and friends if anything seemed to change in LA during the two years I was gone, I would first of all mention that I came back every other month for work, so, it's not like I was truly gone. But, I have noticed two things:

1 - Vape shops and the like are much more ubiquitous. I do not partake on any level but I see many more of them than ever before, at least near where I live and where I work.

2 - Uber/Lyft drivers. So many more of them on the road now than in 2015. No real opinion on this, just an observation.

I guess if I had to name one obvious negative change, it would be a little more micro. There's a specific canyon where I always liked to go hike or just sit and read/listen to music/think. It's also a spot where families come to visit with their young children, perhaps take them on a nice walk, show them nature at work, have a picnic, etc. It was a bit of a hidden gem and I enjoyed every single visit. But, not more than few weeks after I moved back, I saw something pretty disturbing there and it makes me wonder if I'll ever return, not to mention if I'm living in a society whose values and morals continue to diminish. While what I saw left me reeling and taken aback, I had the presence of mind to take a picture of it, and, I feel like I can share it with you all and you'll most likely agree with my reaction.

U2 related note -

Since seeing U2 8 times in 14 nights at MSG last Summer, I have not listened to them, at all, since the final show.

Professional note - September/October is a busy time.

Movie note - I am looking forward to seeing this:

Arrival Reviews - Metacritic

Book note - I am currently reading and enjoying this:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/24189224-city-on-fire

TV note - Westworld

Sports note - I enjoy the MLB post-season. Greatly.

That is all.
Who cares?

NSW comes back and Dylan wins a Nobel prize. Coincidence? I think not.

Corey Feldman is just misunderstood, a lot like Nirvana or Kiss.

Personally I'm glad he's thinking about America.

Peace

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Yes, but if they come out with memoirs about their childhood abuse in their industry, they're going to be free from mockery from me.

His album is one of the funniest things I've ever heard. Maybe not worth the time required to listen to it all the way through, a little goes a long way, but it delivers on the so-bad-it's-entertaining front.

Speaking of, I decided to finally finish off The Clash's discography and listen to Cut the Crap. Hahahahahaha what a fucking trainwreck. Pretty incredible that they failed to come up with a single good idea in 40 minutes. Every musical decision is bad, every instinct is wrong.

Last edited:
His album is one of the funniest things I've ever heard. Maybe not worth the time required to listen to it all the way through, a little goes a long way, but it delivers on the so-bad-it's-entertaining front.

I might understand the sympathy for Feldman if he hadn't (1) made the "angels" accompanying him sign a ludicrous and degrading contract and (2) crowdsourced the funding. If you're going to take money from ordinary people, you have some obligation not to use it to make a steaming pile of shit.

I get a payout, but it's an awkward amount of money (I realise this is insane privilege) because it is very, very difficult to get a job in my industry and I would chew through the payout pretty quickly. I could get redeployed in the business but it is absolutely not what I want to do with my life so I might as well take the money and run, go have a white Christmas with my girlfriend in Estonia and reboot in 2017. Who knows.

In music news Johnny Jewel (Chromatics) has just released a film score, which includes new Chromatics tunes. Just release the fucking album mate. Me 212 Mofo and Dep are dying for it. I bought the poster ffs.

The story of this band is one of the strangest I have ever heard. The father apparently bought into a tarot card prophecy that his daughters would form a band, and so forced them to write and record an album with little to no experience. This is the result:

I get a payout, but it's an awkward amount of money (I realise this is insane privilege) because it is very, very difficult to get a job in my industry and I would chew through the payout pretty quickly. I could get redeployed in the business but it is absolutely not what I want to do with my life so I might as well take the money and run, go have a white Christmas with my girlfriend in Estonia and reboot in 2017. Who knows.

good plan. it was a shock when it happened to me but (so far) it seems like a career change is just what i needed. hope it all works out for you man.

This Is England is decent.

But otherwise, yeah.

what phanan said. I like that song a lot, but I also like it a lot more when I consider it to be a Joe Strummer solo song and not actually The Clash. Then it just becomes depressing, and nothing else on that album has any redeeming qualities. But there was some straight up garbage on Combat Rock too, unnecessary stuff on Sandinista, and not every really early track was the pure greatness that their best stuff is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom