Random Music Talk CXVIII: Grabbing America By The...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Really? I found the title accurate: it deserves 3/5 stars. A few decent songs, nowhere near the quality of Voices, and a couple of absolute clunkers ("Barking Dog", "Calling All").

I'm a huge fan that's supported them since day 1 and even I think Three is a bit of a misstep. It's totally overproduced and the songs aren't really there.

They're still a great band though.

I liked it on first listen.

I also like the new Norah Jones. Jazzier than her recent albums.

I can't imagine I'll love the new Van Morrison, but I'd like to hear it, and it's not on Spotify. Boo.

The vp of our department is going on a family vacation to LA, and while they're there, they're seeing Van at the Hollywood Bowl. Jealous! I'd love to see him again, although I'm happy to have seen him at all.

Had the timing not been horrendous, I would have gone to Dublin early last November and seen him at the "whatever-arena-U2-played-at" arena a few days earlier than U2 played. There were tickets available, too. Boo.

I'm a huge fan that's supported them since day 1 and even I think Three is a bit of a misstep. It's totally overproduced and the songs aren't really there.

They're still a great band though.

Yep. I wasn't as big a fan of you at the start, though I've always liked "Mouthful of Diamonds" and Eyelid Movies has grown on me, but Voices is a fantastic album. I expected better.

I missed the release they put out last year under the name Big Grams. Have you heard it?

Yep. I wasn't as big a fan of you at the start, though I've always liked "Mouthful of Diamonds" and Eyelid Movies has grown on me, but Voices is a fantastic album. I expected better.

I missed the release they put out last year under the name Big Grams. Have you heard it?

I liked it very much, but YMMV...it's a hip hop record.

I have some thoughts on Do Ya Think I'm Sexy?

I'm SO torn about it. I fucking adore Rod Stewart's raspy, come-on vocals and the music for the most part is pretty great, fluid, seductive.

But those fucking synths. They're SO bad. So bad. They completely ruin the song.

Thoughts?

When MTV did the release for the Discoteque video, they played U2 videos all day. Later in the day they had some "new" thing where people could post thoughts and comments live about the songs / videos from the internet. I recall one of the comments stating that "Bono and Rod Stewart have the sexiest voices in rock and roll". Why do I remember this 20 years later? I have no idea.

The Cure's Seventeen Seconds album is required October listening. If you disagree, you're a poo poo head.

I have some thoughts on Do Ya Think I'm Sexy?

I'm SO torn about it. I fucking adore Rod Stewart's raspy, come-on vocals and the music for the most part is pretty great, fluid, seductive.

But those fucking synths. They're SO bad. So bad. They completely ruin the song.

Thoughts?

Why were you listening to Rod Stewart in the first place?

I hated Maggie May when I first listened to it. It's not my favorite Rod Stewart song, but it's decent.

"Yes" by Manic Street Preachers is an amazing song. I absolutely love the arrangement, building from a catchy riff to a huge pre-chorus, to an even bigger chorus. It sounds like a single, but it's still very complex.

The rest of that album is growing on me as well. I used to rank Everything Must Go as their best work, but I'm not so sure anymore.

Hi, I'm NSW.

Here is some information, please skip it if you hate reading posts from people who you hate reading posts from.

After living back in NYC for two years, I moved to Los Angeles for the 3rd time this past Spring. I was summoned back to LA by my employers, but, they did not have to twist my arm; I missed LA and was more than ready to return. The only downside was leaving family behind again, but, nothing is ever utopian, etc.

When asked by coworkers and friends if anything seemed to change in LA during the two years I was gone, I would first of all mention that I came back every other month for work, so, it's not like I was truly gone. But, I have noticed two things:

1 - Vape shops and the like are much more ubiquitous. I do not partake on any level but I see many more of them than ever before, at least near where I live and where I work.

2 - Uber/Lyft drivers. So many more of them on the road now than in 2015. No real opinion on this, just an observation.

I guess if I had to name one obvious negative change, it would be a little more micro. There's a specific canyon where I always liked to go hike or just sit and read/listen to music/think. It's also a spot where families come to visit with their young children, perhaps take them on a nice walk, show them nature at work, have a picnic, etc. It was a bit of a hidden gem and I enjoyed every single visit. But, not more than few weeks after I moved back, I saw something pretty disturbing there and it makes me wonder if I'll ever return, not to mention if I'm living in a society whose values and morals continue to diminish. While what I saw left me reeling and taken aback, I had the presence of mind to take a picture of it, and, I feel like I can share it with you all and you'll most likely agree with my reaction.

U2 related note -

Since seeing U2 8 times in 14 nights at MSG last Summer, I have not listened to them, at all, since the final show.

Professional note - September/October is a busy time.

Movie note - I am looking forward to seeing this:

Arrival Reviews - Metacritic

Book note - I am currently reading and enjoying this:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/24189224-city-on-fire

TV note - Westworld

Sports note - I enjoy the MLB post-season. Greatly.

That is all.

I hated Maggie May when I first listened to it. It's not my favorite Rod Stewart song, but it's decent.

That's basically my feeling as well. There are other songs I like by him more....this should shock no one.

The new Yuck album is REALLY solid. I am pleased.

I AM FINISHED WITH THIS BLUE HELL

KILL ALL FACEBOOK FRIENDS

TIME 2 B ADULT

:hug: Glad to see you back, NSW

While discussing Oktoberfest, I told some coworkers of that picture. They did not believe me, I will force them to believe.

I guess if I had to name one obvious negative change, it would be a little more micro. There's a specific canyon where I always liked to go hike or just sit and read/listen to music/think. It's also a spot where families come to visit with their young children, perhaps take them on a nice walk, show them nature at work, have a picnic, etc. It was a bit of a hidden gem and I enjoyed every single visit. But, not more than few weeks after I moved back, I saw something pretty disturbing there and it makes me wonder if I'll ever return, not to mention if I'm living in a society whose values and morals continue to diminish. While what I saw left me reeling and taken aback, I had the presence of mind to take a picture of it, and, I feel like I can share it with you all and you'll most likely agree with my reaction.

Oh the humanity.

The more some NSWs change, the more they stay the same. Good to see you around these parts, mate.

"Yes" by Manic Street Preachers is an amazing song. I absolutely love the arrangement, building from a catchy riff to a huge pre-chorus, to an even bigger chorus. It sounds like a single, but it's still very complex.

The rest of that album is growing on me as well. I used to rank Everything Must Go as their best work, but I'm not so sure anymore.

Yes.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom