Random Music Talk CXVIII: Grabbing America By The...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If anyone gets an excuse for irrational fears and spewing garbage words like that... someone with PTSD gets a pass. Not condoning it, or the views, but I do feel bad for the guy.

Does he have PTSD? First I've heard of it. All I've seen is that he's a conspiratorial idiotic fuckwit.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Does he have PTSD? First I've heard of it. All I've seen is that he's a conspiratorial idiotic fuckwit.

Why is that even a question? I get that not every person who goes through a traumatic situation is going to have PTSD, but you almost pose your question with doubt.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...s-attacks-unfounded-baseless-accusations.html

I don't know any of their music. I don't agree with his political views. I don't care to listen to his music. But you weren't there. Have you experienced anything traumatic in your life? As someone who merely "thought about" going to pulse two days before a shooting, I still am traumatized. I get nightmares. Clubs make me uncomfortable. I can't even BEGIN to imagine how any of the survivors are haunted, that is so beyond your or my understanding.

He's known for spouting pretty crazypants stuff even before all this went down, but I'm also giving him a bit of a pass on the post-attack stuff.

That said, I don't blame the venue from saying "Yeah, we didn't appreciate that very much, so bye."

Never got into Shields, but Yet Again and Sleeping Ute are brilliant.

I want Grizzly Bear back.

You should listen to it again sometime, I'd forgotten how many other fantastic songs are on it aside from those two.

Leon Russell died.

I mean, I guess we're getting to a point where a lot of rock musicians are now reaching an advanced age for the first time, rock being a fairly new genre in the grand scheme of things, and its just the circle of life, but damn this seems like a lot this year.

I mean, I guess we're getting to a point where a lot of rock musicians are now reaching an advanced age for the first time, rock being a fairly new genre in the grand scheme of things, and its just the circle of life, but damn this seems like a lot this year.

This is what I've been realizing as well. We are entering a world of depression, it's only going to get worse.

Not sure why everyone is banging on about Kate McKinnon's performance of Hallelujah on SNL. It sucked. She's very funny but she can't sing.

Far greater was Chapelle and ATCQ.

Also I've been wracking my brains trying to figure out how I can get all my music easily accessible. Posted on an Apple forum yesterday and someone hit me back with the answer!!!! iTunes Match. I recall DB WOW telling me about it years ago but I wasn't worried as streaming services weren't that big. But now I can have my whole iTunes library accessible on my phone. For $40 a year, I think that's pretty damn good and solves all my problems.

I just got back from seeing Car Seat Headrest. The show was initially only $15 but sold out instantly. I wasn't about to miss them again, so Stubhub was my only option and I ended up spending about $75 a ticket.

No regrets. Not a single fucking one. That was one of the best rock shows I've ever seen. Great energy, amazing songs (which goes without saying; Will Toledo is one of the best young songwriters we have, right up there with Frank Ocean and Kendrick), absolutely fantastic pacing (the first handful of songs all flowed into each other seamlessly and even managed to fit in some Sweet Jane), everything was tops. Will read the crowd and kept the energy high, which was a great choice. This is one of the few times I've shouted out a song title and got it: "DESTROYED BY HIPPIE POWERS!!11" did the job.

There were plenty of highlights beyond that, of course. I typically dig Vincent on the album, it's a great song in general, but WOW does it fucking pop live. There were moments of this concert where I was really taken aback by how metallic and raucous it was because the album, while more muscular than his previous work, still sounds a bit homespun. It's not a rock star kind of album. But then you hear this and it's a huge surprise:

The show closed with a remarkable encore duo of Five Years (yes, that Five Years, and yes it was fantastic) and Connect the Dots, an effective bit of emotional whiplash that both lamented the current political climate and celebrated the future.

God, what a great show.

It's not a live clip, but if you haven't listened to any Car Seat Headrest, please enjoy this brilliant song, possibly my favorite of the year:

I hope you get this.

Five Years was awesome and a better fit for the vibe of the show, but holy shit I would have lost it.

Last edited:
Haven't listened to Holy Fuck, but yeah the Emma Ruth Rundle album is good. I prefer her work in Marriages though.

Also I've been wracking my brains trying to figure out how I can get all my music easily accessible. Posted on an Apple forum yesterday and someone hit me back with the answer!!!! iTunes Match. I recall DB WOW telling me about it years ago but I wasn't worried as streaming services weren't that big. But now I can have my whole iTunes library accessible on my phone. For $40 a year, I think that's pretty damn good and solves all my problems.

Match has been a godsend for me. It can be a pain in the ass sometimes with uploading, but on the whole it is well worth the price.

I loved the Marriages albums, and the last Red Sparrowes album with her on it was their best.

Are you still in NZ? Were you ever? Should I be worried about you?

The main problem with that last Red Sparowes album is that they ditched the absurdly long titles. :lol:

I've lived in Australia for the last 19 years (how has it been that long?!), but I'm from Wellington and go back to NZ a lot for work and to see friends/family. I was last there in April, when the ground was much firmer than the last couple of days! Everybody I know seems to be OK, nothing worse than minor damage, though some were pretty unnerved after the tsunami evacuation and spending the night in their cars on higher ground.

What do you guys think of Thrice ?

Not a big fan. People seem to think that because I like Thursday I'd like Thrice, but Thursday are a hundred times better.

Not sure why everyone is banging on about Kate McKinnon's performance of Hallelujah on SNL. It sucked. She's very funny but she can't sing.

Far greater was Chapelle and ATCQ.

I don't think that her vocals were what made people talk about that bit.

What do you guys think of Thrice ?

I never liked them, because I never liked that kind of emo. And then I thought they became hilariously bad when they turned into a stoner rock band. They're partly responsible for one of the worst shows I've been too (when they were on tour with the alkaline trio and rise against, and gaslight anthem opening before too many people knew who they were).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom