Random Music Talk CXVIII: Grabbing America By The...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I gave it another listen today. Still awesome.

Cranes in the Sky has a reasonable claim to SOTY.

I couldn't tell if I was listening to a new Opeth album or either of the last two.

In one ear, out the other. If Opeth were a new band and these were their first three albums, I would have never listened to them. Retro prog is not my thing.

I listened to enough Pink Floyd already. Should I not check them out?

I think I wanna go to Almost Acoustic Christmas this year... But there's definitely crap to wade through.
Night 1: Blink-182, Kings Of Leon, Jimmy Eat World, AFI, X Ambassadors, M83, Grouplove, The Strumbellas

Night 2: Green Day, Beck, Weezer, Bastille, Andrew McMahon in the Wilderness, Phantogram, Bishop Briggs, The Head and The Heart

Is that everyone? Or just who you want to see? Because personally aside from not knowing who Bishop Briggs is, having no real opinion of the Head and the Heart, and finding X Ambassadors to be annoying, everything on there seems great. I'd even see blink as part of a lineup (would need to be convinced to see them minus Tom, as I don't think they're blink anymore).

That Day 2 is amazing though.

As always, if you took the best of both days and combined them, it would be incredible, but the nature of the festival means you have to sit through total garbage.

I think I wanna go to Almost Acoustic Christmas this year... But there's definitely crap to wade through.
Night 1: Blink-182, Kings Of Leon, Jimmy Eat World, AFI, X Ambassadors, M83, Grouplove, The Strumbellas

Night 2: Green Day, Beck, Weezer, Bastille, Andrew McMahon in the Wilderness, Phantogram, Bishop Briggs, The Head and The Heart

That's some solid lineup if you like pop punk

Just out of curiosity, which part is the garbage and which part is incredible to you?

If it was a day of Grouplove, Phantogram, M83, Weezer and Jimmy Eat World with Beck as a headliner, I would drop the cash in a heartbeat.

I've actually seen about half of this lineup already. Besides several of the aforementioned, Green Day was good when I saw them in 2010 but their last handful of albums has been pretty bad, so I'd be sitting through a lot of garbage. AFI is good live, but I don't go out of my way to listen to them. Blink was great for a while when they headlined Riot Fest it but turned into a snoozefest once they brought the newer material in. Kings of Leon was horrendous opening for U2 but I wouldn't be able to tell you what they sound like now.

Bastille and The Head and the Heart are poison in general.

Last edited:
:wave:

Between vacation and moving into my house, I feel like I'm totally out of the loop in good new music.

I do want to pick up the new Leonard Cohen. Still haven't listened to Lady Gaga on Spotify yet. Super excited for the REM reissue next (?) Friday. Anything new and awesome I should hear?

Two albums I listened to recently that are far better than I remember them being are Sufjan's Age of Adz and Antlers' Familiars.

If it was a day of Grouplove, Phantogram, M83, Weezer and Jimmy Eat World with Beck as a headliner, I would drop the cash in a heartbeat.

I've actually seen about half of this lineup already. Besides several of the aforementioned, Green Day was good when I saw them in 2010 but their last handful of albums has been pretty bad, so I'd be sitting through a lot of garbage. AFI is good live, but I don't go out of my way to listen to them. Blink was great for a while when they headlined Riot Fest it but turned into a snoozefest once they brought the newer material in. Kings of Leon was horrendous opening for U2 but I wouldn't be able to tell you what they sound like now.

Bastille and The Head and the Heart are poison in general.

Interesting. Andrew McMahon, phantogram, Bastille, and the Strumbellas strike my eyes first. Would also love to see Green Day finally.

I don't mind seeing acts multiple times. Sometimes I quite enjoy it. KoL I never saw but they aren't much my flavor. Though, I hear they're total dickheads. That usually turns me off. Watching The Neighbourhood open for The Temper Trap with their shitty lyrics, lame ass outfits, and douchy behavior was about the most insufferable thing I've ever had to sit through.

Two albums I listened to recently that are far better than I remember them being are Sufjan's Age of Adz and Antlers' Familiars.

How can you post this and not mention me. Let's have a gigantic fucking chat about how good Age of Adz is.

I don't dig Familiars all that much but Palace is easily one of the best songs of the this decade.

BS71C9TCQAAs3Mb.jpg

6a00e54efdf11288330120a5e8e71c970c-800wi

How can you post this and not mention me. Let's have a gigantic fucking chat about how good Age of Adz is.

I don't dig Familiars all that much but Palace is easily one of the best songs of the this decade.

I thought of you while listening to it. :) It's still a bit uneven to my ear, but the highs are glorious. The last two minutes or so of Impossible Soul also point firmly toward the sonics and themes of Carrie & Lowell.

Thanks, LeMel. I'll throw that on my Spotify playlist.

I did hear the Solage album, but it's not really up my alley.

Lady Gaga was very underwhelming. Boo.

i'm going to hang out in here. the election thread is making my stomach hurt.

I just discovered Bear In Heaven released an album in 2014. I don't remember anyone talking about it around here.

I really liked Beast Rest Fourth Mouth and I Love You, It's Cool. I'm going to go check it out.

i'm going to hang out in here. the election thread is making my stomach hurt.
i hear you. just watching the little bit of coverage i did was enough to turn my stomach. fym is too much.

to be on topic, umm...i never mentioned this but i randomly heard a carly rae jepsen song a couple months ago and ended up listening to emotion and the side b ep. pretty awesome pop music.

also, i'm pretty pumped about seeing aphex twin live next month. and other ppl but they're who i'm most excited to see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom