Random Music Talk CXVII: Leaked Emails Show Hillary Likes Both Kanye & Taylor Swift

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In my sensual journey through the Beatles' solo albums I've found that ALL THINGS MUST PASS is the greatest album of all-time.

I listened to All Things Must Pass just the other night. I don't know why I don't listen to it more often, it's actually a breeze if you throw out the third disc.

My Sweet Lord, What Is Life and Isn't It a Pity are incredible and get lots of love, but two favorites that are slightly less celebrated:

Yeah. Just on the desktop version though; I can view them fine on mobile.

I'm sure the higher ups will have this sorted out in 10-15 business days.

Peef was it you who sang the praises of Terrible Love alt version? I was listening to it in the supermarket today and I was struck by how much I loved it all of a sudden.

Have you played the game? Any initial impressions? The hype for it has been out of control.

I will probably check it out as I have 4 days off work. I finished "Inside" by a company called Playdead. That game was pretty amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Yes, I'm very anti-lo-fi so I much prefer it to the album take. I can actually hear a, you know, proper drum kit.

I'm guessing you don't like In the Aeroplane Over the Sea then? I've been listening to that album a lot lately, it's a fucking masterpiece of songwriting

Leonard god damn Cohen has a new f'n album coming out. 82 years old strong.

Yes, I'm very anti-lo-fi so I much prefer it to the album take. I can actually hear a, you know, proper drum kit.

I was just listening to the other day and yeah, you're right, it is better. Feels like it has far more agency to it.

I'm guessing you don't like In the Aeroplane Over the Sea then? I've been listening to that album a lot lately, it's a fucking masterpiece of songwriting

It is a masterpiece of utter shit, is what it is.

Leonard god damn Cohen has a new f'n album coming out. 82 years old strong.

Ooh, nice. I've liked his recent albums. If he tours again, I'm going. I'm very sorry I missed him when he was here a couple of years ago.

It is a masterpiece of utter shit, is what it is.

Heh. That's one of those albums whose adoration baffles me.

the thought of moving soon has me paring down my CD collection again. I've purged several times over the past year. I've gone from about 2100 to about 1100. I'm waiting for it to feel freeing.

That reminds me Pitchfork is doing this weird thing now where they review old albums out of the blue.

The more I listen to Sprained Ankle, the more I think it was a top five album from last year.

reissues make a very pleasant change from shithouse barren CD copies. until the reiussues most of the U2 albums available were unappealing, stock-standard Island copies with barely a booklet.

Why do people get excited about album 'reissues'? Is it the fancy booklet? The bonus never before heard songs? It's still just an album you presumably know inside and out, with extra bells and whistles to hoover up those sweet $$$$$$.

Yeah, I want the unreleased shit, and early Verve killed it live so I'm all over extra live content in this case. Plus, I don't own the originals anyway. I don't know if I'd be so keen to buy reissues of albums I already own physically, but I buy very little physical music and that can be divided into two categories: new albums by bands I really like/saw live and hit up the merch desk; reissues of long-time favourites that I previously only had in MP3 and wouldn't mind owning physically.

It's great because it's a triumph of songwriting. Mangum is a shitty singer, there's really nothing special about the instrumentation other than the horns, and most of the album is an acoustic guitar accompanied with a voice. But the songs are great and the lyrics are sublime, they're simultaneously vivid and vague and paint the weirdest fucking picture ever. It's an album that's distinguished by nothing else other than the songwriting and that's why I think it's so special.

Back
Top Bottom