Random Music Talk CXVII: Leaked Emails Show Hillary Likes Both Kanye & Taylor Swift

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm starting to get bored with SiriusXM - my favorite stations play a lot of the same stuff, it seems like.

Between KEXP and this other little college-affiliated local ad-free station that has an eclectic, interesting mix, I actually listen to the radio quite a bit in the car these days.

you should all watch the live stream of the last tragically hip concert tonight if you can (830 eastern, it's free on cbc tv and youtube). it's going to be an emotional, intense show and they're no doubt going to play to go out on top.

I heard Green Day's Blvd of Broken Dreams this after noon on Southern California classic rock station K-Earth 101. That was weird.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Would you really consider k-earth as classic rock? I always had the impression they were like rock but not new music.... I suppose that would be classic.

Anyways they're one of my favorite stations.

I touch down at Big Duke Airport Saturday at noon, what are some halfway decent stations to set on the radio in the rental?

1) why aren't we hanging out?
2) Essential stations are 88.5 if you can get it to come in, 93.1, 95.5, 98.7 101.5 and I guess kroq for the experience of hearing how bad it's become 106.7. The other stations on LeMel's list are also programmed on my band but those are the stations I listen to most frequently.

I'm starting to get bored with SiriusXM - my favorite stations play a lot of the same stuff, it seems like.

Between KEXP and this other little college-affiliated local ad-free station that has an eclectic, interesting mix, I actually listen to the radio quite a bit in the car these days.

Speaking of rehashed conversations, I know I say this all the time but THIS.

The radio is also repetitive, but for my morning commute, especially, I really appreciate the news, weather, traffic, and amusing local stories I get from the radio. Never mind the fact that I like having a radio station shake up its variety pretty frequently.

I also just love listening to the classical station because those old guys trying to dj is hilarious.

I may have mixed it up with another station. Then I'm surprised to hear they're playing 2000s music as classic.

Sent from my SM-G935T using U2 Interference mobile app

I'm watching the encores. I imagine its got to be gut wrenching for the long time fans.

I'd be surprised if I'd heard more than ten minutes of the Tragically Hip before today, but I tuned in late in the main set. Holy shit that was something, what a powerful experience.

that was every bit as powerful as u2 at slane castle after bono's dad died.

i shed orders of magnitude more tears in the last 2.5 hrs than i ever did over my entire divorce. this is not a joke.

I guess this is the Canadian equivalent of Crowded House.

If there is ever a Crowdies/Neil Finn show like this, I will fucking bawl for the entire thing.

Basically, you know when Crowdies v1.0 wrapped it up with the Farewell to the World concert on the steps of the Sydney Opera House? Yeah, now imagine that Neil Finn was going to be dead within months. That's what we're talking about here.

I'm going to watch/listen to this show later, and I had really not heard of them if it wasn't for Dave C.

I'd love to watch it again - but CBC don't seem to have put it up for rewatching... Hopefully a DVD is on the way.

Alright someone give me the the rundown on Tragically Hip please.

These are good places to start:

Watching Canada’s Biggest Rock Band Say a Dramatic Goodbye - The New Yorker

How we will miss Gord Downie and the Tragically Hip

I just feel emotionally drained today, like I have a sadness hangover. That was joyful and inspiring and just fucking wrenching and devastating all at the same time. I can honestly say that no other concert has ever affected me the way that this one did.

It's very difficult to explain to those not aware, but I'll give it a go: for any Canadian with any music/cultural awareness from the past three decades, The Hip are huge, not only in a music appreciation way, but also in a cultural identity way. This is probably a lame cliche, but they really have provided the soundtrack to most of our lives.

the new yorker article explains it better than i ever could. i could give you youtube links but i really recommend just trying to find a stream of last night's show. failing that, listen to the album "yer favourites", it has all their best songs.

the new yorker article explains it better than i ever could. i could give you youtube links but i really recommend just trying to find a stream of last night's show. failing that, listen to the album "yer favourites", it has all their best songs.

Well put. Yer Favourites is a great compilation.
The Hip always takes me back to when I started high school and Fully Completely had just came out. It's crazy and sad that last night was their final time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is literally never heard of them - what's the go here

They are one of the most famous bands here in Canada and last night played their last show as a band due to health issues their lead singer, Gord Downie, is suffering from.
A lot of their material is down-to-earth and relates to Canadian heritage. They never really had an impact in the USA but here in Canada they are huge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

they are by far the most popular canadian band in canada, ever. rush is the only comparison you can make and even that isn't even a little bit close.

I'm unfamiliar with the band, but had I not been stuck in traffic (FUCKING TACOMA) on the way home from the ocean last night, I would have watched on CBC to check it out.

Oh well.

Back
Top Bottom