Random Music Talk CXIX: Donko Blocko

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Spoon released another new song from their upcoming album. It takes a while but gets good. It starts out sounding like Ok Go.

Dirty Projectors album released early.

It's self-titled, which is a pet peeve of mine, especially when it's not a band's first album.

Makes me not want to pay for it.

Dirty Projectors album released early.

It's self-titled, which is a pet peeve of mine, especially when it's not a band's first album.

Makes me not want to pay for it.

So you're just parodying yourself now, right?

The Other Place has been talking about non-first-self-titled albums for months.

I'm listening to Sunny Day Real Estate's final album from 2000. I haven't heard it in years. I forgot how at times it sounds like Rush. SDRE had a peculiar evolution in such a short time.

93f3d5ff_zpshpbwngk8.jpg

crazy, Foo Fighters are aparently announcing their Glastonbury headline slot by playing a surprise gig at The Cheese And Grain in Frome, Somerset.

Foo Fighters to play surprise gig marking Glastonbury 2017 headline announcement? - NME

Lovely little town, not far from where I'm from. It's a great venue! Imagine being a hardcore Foo Fighters fan living there. Can't imagine how fucking depressing it must be seeing them roll into town for the most unlikely gig the place has ever seen if you haven't got a ticket!!

Yawn. They were never destined to be one of the greats, even for this paltry era in rock music. Martin is a ponce and he/the band never had enough of a personality or distinct sound to make a resonant mark. The White Stripes are the band that will be remembered as the standout band of 2000-2010.

Yawn. They were never destined to be one of the greats, even for this paltry era in rock music. Martin is a ponce and he/the band never had enough of a personality or distinct sound to make a resonant mark. The White Stripes are the band that will be remembered as the standout band of 2000-2010.

And/or The Strokes

I used to esteem them about equally, back in 2007 or so, but Icky Thump was pretty forgettable and This Is Happening turned out to be one of my favorite albums of the 2010s, so that broke the tie. Murphy's excellent storytelling has helped their three albums hold up extremely well.

I'm not arguing personal preference.

But LCD Soundsystem didn't really gain traction until their second album with the 1-2 punch of Someone Great and All My Friends. So you really only have a 3-4 year period where they were in the limelight.

The White Stripes had songs/videos in rotation from White Blood Cells in 2001 and still put out 3 more albums after that, with Icky Thump in 2007. They were widely seen and talked about for a good 7+ year period and really dominated that decade in terms of rock and roll, especially when you consider Jack White's personality and ubiquity.

Arcade Fire would be another candidate but I still don't believe they were as big as the White Stripes or had as big an effect.

Magic was the last Coldplay song I liked enough to actively seek out, but it's been a good 8 years since their last really strong album.

I don't listen to the White Stripes much anymore, so maybe I've gotten some Jack White fatigue myself. De Stijl and Elephant will always be great albums though.

Back
Top Bottom