Random Music Talk CXIX: Donko Blocko

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was really glad to hear Love Drought, but Sandcastles (in the Sand) is boring af and brought the performance to a halt for me. Thought the visuals were great throughout.

I thought the GRAMMYs were a bit messy. Technical difficulties and cutting speeches galore.

Adele singing Fastlove for the George Michael tribute was an interesting choice. The arrangement got better towards the end, and she recovered well after stopping the song. Beyoncé's performance had great visuals, but was slightly boring (wasn't expecting a high-energy performance with twins in her belly). The Prince tribute was really good.

Swear to god, never even heard of this Lukas Graham kid.

Looks like it's actually a group instead of a person, from what I've read online (though the lead guy's name is actually Lukas). I've heard that "7 Years" song of his on the radio, but I had no clue what he looked like until his performance at the Grammys.

Oh my god, when they cut to the audience during The Time and those guys were doing the dance? That was awesome.

Yes! It made me want to dance with them.

Did not care AT ALL for the song choice or arrangement for the George Michael tribute. It was weird.

Agreed. So many other songs that would've better represented and honored George and his talent.

I felt bad for Adele with her whole "redoing the performance" thing-that'd be so nerve-wracking. She handled it well, though.

In other non-Grammy news, Metallica just announced a tour. Looks like I'll be seeing them in Seattle, they're the last of my bucket list bands to see, even though they're way past their live peak.

Does anyone know how to check ticket prices on the Ticketmaster app before tickets go on sale?

You should be able to see a small-print link on the page that shows "ticket prices" or "price range," something like that. It's not always specific until the actual sale, but should at least show the range.

Gaga is coming to Tacoma in August. I saw her there on the Monster's Ball tour but god I loathe that venue. I'd like to go, though. I might just wait until the week before and see if I can snatch up a screaming deal on StubHub in case demand isn't high. (Since I've already seen her, I won't feel bad if I don't go.)

That's my same strategy for Queen w/ Adam Lambert. Not dying to go but would like to, but not impressed with the ticket price options.

Overall it was great, but Q-Tip sounded pretty rough compared to his usual smoothness. And I can't blame that on the mix.
I agree. The performance was awesome, but didn't sound great.

I was jaw agape at Beyoncé's performance. I didn't care what song she was playing, that was mesmerizingly beautiful.

Also super dug Katy, Bruno, Metallica and the Prince Tribute as far as performances go. This Grammys was insanely fun to watch.

In other non-Grammy news, Metallica just announced a tour. Looks like I'll be seeing them in Seattle, they're the last of my bucket list bands to see, even though they're way past their live peak.

What was Metallica's live peak?

still absolutely love the song I Can't Help You by Cate Le Bon, but really struggling to get into the rest of the album (Mug Museum) now I've finally got round to listening it a few years later. really drives me mad when that happens. Can't even figure out what it is I don't like about it...just doesn't seem that great haha

Any fans here? Is it worth giving her other stuff a go?

That Eagles of Death Metal/Bataclan doc was gut-wrenching.

I sincerely hope that all involved, fan or band alike, has or will get the post-trauma help they need. I know Jesse Hughes has a history of WTFerry, but man, I just wanted to give him a big hug watching that.

A while ago I saw Yumi Zouma joking with people on Twitter about doing a full album cover of (What's the Story) Morning Glory.

Turns out they've actually done it. :lol:

The first single sounds nothing at all like their usual smooth, minimal synthpop. It's straight-up shoegaze: https://soundcloud.com/matthew-tk/yumi-zouma-shes-electric-oasis-cover-1

I don't expect this to have much replay value but I'm tremendously amused they've gone through with the joke. Now hurry up with that second album of originals!

That Eagles of Death Metal/Bataclan doc was gut-wrenching.

I sincerely hope that all involved, fan or band alike, has or will get the post-trauma help they need. I know Jesse Hughes has a history of WTFerry, but man, I just wanted to give him a big hug watching that.

Yeah it was a compelling and difficult viewing all at once.

I've recently smoked weed and heard the lead singles from both the new XX and Spoon albums and I like them both a lot. Thank you.

Midnight Oil just announced a world tour.

Tour Dates :: Midnight Oil

Playing LA a few days after Joshua Tree shows

Pretty stoked about this. I'm tempted to squeeze in one of their Europe gigs while I'm there in July, to enjoy a much smaller show than anything they're going to play here.

The prices for the new box sets is pretty nuts, though.

Yeah I'm pretty stoked as well. I never thought I'd see them again live. Denver is closest to me but it's 3 days after the Rose Bowl show.

I likely won't shell out for the box set. I already have a live version of virtually every song they've ever written

Back
Top Bottom