Random Music Talk CXIV: No more rock star deaths for a while please (not even Stapp)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I had to explain the fact that I couldn't sleep yesterday because I was listening to prog metal album with strangers online to my parents.

I've decided to finally try to get into Sonic Youth. Better late than never. What are the albums would you all recommend starting out with ?

I would recommend Sister or EVOL: both indicative of their classic sound but not as demanding a listen as Daydream Nation (just in terms of sheer length).

Random Music Talk CXIV: No more rock star deaths for a while please (not even...

Hey, this Eleanor Fried Burger album is pretty tasty.

I like it too. But I miss some of the energy of her first two albums. The melodies are pretty and some of the interesting lyrical content is still there, but I feel it lacks some of the ... grit? ... of her earlier work. She said it's a post-Brooklyn, upstate NY kind of record and it sounds like that. I just wish she would move back to the city.

Because I Asked You is my favorite song so far. Pretty solid follow-up to My Mistakes and Stare at the Sun.

I'm catching her show next week, really looking forward to it.

I would recommend Sister or EVOL: both indicative of their classic sound but not as demanding a listen as Daydream Nation (just in terms of sheer length).

Thanks man. I like the first song a lot!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am down to 1,238 CDs. :crack: That's still too many, but I honestly feel pretty damned accomplished. Now that I'm on a roll, I think I'll tackle my books next.

I was able to get rid of an entire CD rack, which is cool, since it was the one that didn't match the others. I got that sucker in the 90s.

Now to find boxes to cart the 400 or so CDs I got rid of to Easy Street or Sonic Boom to rack up a nice credit.

RE-visiting Godspeed You Black Emperor's "Asunder, Sweet and Other Distress" on this rainy southern California Sunday. This weather also makes me want several hot tottys.

This macbook I am using kept trying to change tottys to potty. Probably because I should have spelled toddy.

now I'm listening to Diamond Sea by Sonic Youth. I feel like i should listen to SY album other than Daydream Nation.

I just listened to the Deep Fried Burger record and none it made an impression on me at all. I've got her page open in Spotify so after the last track it went straight to I Don't Want to Bother You from her last record, and it's immediately better than anything off the new one..?

I finally decided to check out Massive Attack. their newest EP sounds pretty good and they may release new material? (not sure about that). what do you guys recommend?

They have a new EP?!

Mezzanine is an absolute masterpiece, so go for that first. Blue Lines, their debut, is probably my next fav, as it contains a handful of stellar tracks and is a bit more R&B influence. The next one, Protection, is probably their most cohesive work. Personally I find it a little boring and lacking in personality compared to Blue Lines and Mezzanine but there's no doubt it works great if you're just looking for moody background music.

100th Window I haven't heard enough of to judge, but it's better than its lowly reputation. I also really really enjoyed their last album, Heligoland, I thought it was really underrated.

yeah i wasnt too familiar with trip-hop as a genre (i don't know any genre anymore. what the hell is chillwave? or grindcore?) but i might like these artists. like semi-jazz and semi-electronica.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom