Random Music Talk CXI: W Sellin' VW To Me?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Going through that Pitchfork 200 list...glad Head Over Heels and Life's What You Make It made the cut, but Just a Friend over WOWY and Atlantic City is just atrocious.

Really good #1, tough to disagree with that. If I had any real complaint (besides Biz Markie's placement), it's that there isn't enough Peter Gabriel here.

No on both counts. The only Peter Gabriel song that made it was In Your Eyes at #163. In The Air Tonight placed higher, though no Genesis songs from the decade made the cut.

Going through that Pitchfork 200 list...glad Head Over Heels and Life's What You Make It made the cut, but Just a Friend over WOWY and Atlantic City is just atrocious.

Really good #1, tough to disagree with that. If I had any real complaint (besides Biz Markie's placement), it's that there isn't enough Peter Gabriel here.

Call me crazy, but as amazing as Purple Rain is, I would have preferred something a little more idiosyncratic like When Doves Cry in the top spot.

Did Sledgehammer make it?

I think Laz is on point too re The Police. Did they have any songs?

I think Gabriel's only appearance was with In Your Eyes.

Every Breath You Take was mentioned after some other song in a "see also:" annotation. Considering how huge Synchronicity was, one of its songs deserved a spot, and Every Breath You Take was the #1 song on Billboard for 9 weeks and it won 2 Grammys.

Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic and Don't Stand So Close To Me are certainly more worthy than much of what made the list. Did they really need to include Human Nature and P.Y.T. from Thriller?

Fuck Michael Jackson.

All that talk about critical consensus reminds me that it's not quite like scientific consensus. Well, maybe a little, but it can change an awful lot in hindsight. To take two non-musical examples, both Rembrandt and Shakespeare fell badly out of fashion for extended periods after their own lifetimes.

Call me crazy, but as amazing as Purple Rain is, I would have preferred something a little more idiosyncratic like When Doves Cry in the top spot.

Wanna Be Startin' Somethin' over Billie Jean is the one that has me confused. I can't think of any legitimate reason why those two shouldn't be flipped.

A little surprised that there's only one R.E.M. track on there. Nothing from Pageant or Document? Yikes.

I like the list, though. They picked my personal favorite tracks from a few artists there. Off the top of my head, the tracks they singled out by Dinosaur Jr and Stone Roses are my favorite songs by those two bands.

Yeah that's super weird about REM. indie darlings.

I've told Ryan dombal im tweeting him once a day until he tells me why Streets isn't in there.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Yeah, Streets is a massive song in the U2 pantheon, but I can't say it had as big an effect on the 'outside world' as, say, Pride or New Years Day.

Wanna Be Startin' Somethin' over Billie Jean is the one that has me confused. I can't think of any legitimate reason why those two shouldn't be flipped.

Those top two choices seem like trying to have it both ways: picking safe artists but somewhat oddball song selections. Also they managed to mention Kanye in both of the write-ups for the top two. They just can't help themselves with mentioning that guy every possible chance they get, even in places where he has no relevance whatsoever.

I wouldn't call Purple Rain as oddball as the MJ pick. It's one of his most loved songs. I feel like PR, When Doves Cry, and Let's Go Crazy are all pretty close in terms of popularity, while Billie Jean is significantly more played than Wanna Be Startin' Something.

I'm nowhere near a Prince aficionado, but I've never heard Purple Rain on the radio, whereas I can flip through random stations for 15 minutes and hear When Doves Cry and Little Red Corvette. Or 1999 for that matter. Granted radio isn't the only measure of popularity, but still.

I hear Purple Rain all the time. I don't hear Let's Go Crazy as much as I did in Chicago and on the South Bend stations. One SB station played it literally every day, I know because I had to listen to that radio station 8 hours a day every day while I worked for the licorice place. I hear When Doves Cry a lot as well.

The one song I don't hear nearly as much as I'd like to is Little Red Corvette.

Oh and fucking Kiss is ALWAYS on as well.

Alright, Laz, finally got a chance to listen to Stoned and Dethroned and you're right, it's definitely not exactly what they were doing on the albums prior, but it was very good, fits right in with the time it was released and is still pretty great today. I don't think it's my favorite of theirs, but definitely another great one. Unless I don't like Munki, they have no albums that I'd say aren't great.

Alright, Laz, finally got a chance to listen to Stoned and Dethroned and you're right, it's definitely not exactly what they were doing on the albums prior, but it was very good, fits right in with the time it was released and is still pretty great today. I don't think it's my favorite of theirs, but definitely another great one. Unless I don't like Munki, they have no albums that I'd say aren't great.

And their song with Hope Sandavol is a 2+ minute piece of heaven.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I saw JAMC on that tour, and Mazzy Star was opening. She had shit stage presence, but it was nice to see her do the vocal on that song live.*

*nowhere near as awesome as seeing Michael McDonald do backing vox for Peg when I saw Steely Dan for the first time in 20010.

Anyone want to help me win €2000+? Then please tell me from what song that extremely short fragment in the following link is. The songs listed are all wrong. There's also a tip: Madonna, Michael Jackson and James Dean. I don't think it's possible but maybe someone here has an incredible talent for this kind of stuff. The only thing I can think of is the beginning of There Is A Light That Never Goes Out. But it's not exactly the same.

Someone guessed Pride and I could definitely hear that. The last person guessed a Viet Cong song. :lol:

http://stubru.be/1000zonnenengitaren/raaddegitaarplaat

Anyone want to help me win €2000+? Then please tell me from what song that extremely short fragment in the following link is. The songs listed are all wrong. There's also a tip: Madonna, Michael Jackson and James Dean. I don't think it's possible but maybe someone here has an incredible talent for this kind of stuff. The only thing I can think of is the beginning of There Is A Light That Never Goes Out. But it's not exactly the same.

Someone guessed Pride and I could definitely hear that. The last person guessed a Viet Cong song. :lol:

http://stubru.be/1000zonnenengitaren/raaddegitaarplaat

Sounds like zoo station lol.

there's a popular dance track from the late 90s/early 00s that immediately comes to mind. but I can't think of what it is. This is going to annoy the shit out me. Of a similar ilk to tracks like If This Ain't Love by Spiller & Sophie Ellis Baxtor and Lady HEar Me Tonight by Modjo, but a bit faster.

It's not LAdy Hear Me Tonight but it's super similar to that.

Listen to 1:21, that's the part that comes to mind for me

also the title of the page when google translated says 'council guitar record'

Back
Top Bottom