Random Music Talk CXI: W Sellin' VW To Me?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Alright, back in my coffee shop trying to read again and today they are blasting Born to Run. Clearly, it still reigns as my favorite Springsteen record but I was happy feel some love for BITUSA a couple of Saturdays ago in this same seat.

:up:

Remember laserdisc? I found this today for $25 sealed. I didn't buy it.

IMG_4850.jpg

I bought The Cure - Live At Orange on Laserdisc a couple of years ago because it has never been released on DVD.

I have an old Laserdisc player way back in a storage closet. Someday I will get around to ripping that disc.

Sent from my TI-99/4A using Extended BASIC

This is a long shot, but I wonder if someone can help me identify a song. It's one of those indie songs that turns up on every hipster restaurant playlist ever. The chorus is in a falsetto over a midtempo bass and synth line. I could have sworn it was MGMT from Oracular Spectacular at first, but I was wrong. It must be from 2010 or 2011.

We've probably all heard it a million times, but I can't find the damn thing and it's driving me nuts. I know this is vague as hell, but maybe someone knows it off the top of the head.

Edit: finally found it. Walking on a Dream by Empire of the Sun.

Walking on a Dream by Empire of the Sun?

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Things I learned from FYF day 1:

- Expo park is still not a place to hold a festival, BUT, they have fixed basically everything from last year, and I commend them for that. The new walkways eliminated the spacing between stages problem, and the arena was actually open and viewable. Plus of course, I got right in instead of waiting in line for 3 hours.

- Mikal Cronin are very fun live. Their drummer appears to be a 10 year old boy.

- Le Femme might be the most incredible live act ever. Or not, but they were enough fun that while I was walking over to see Tennis, I stopped the moment I heard their music and completely nixed plans to see an act I like very much.

- BADBADNOTGOOD are pretty sure they're in a rock band, and that's awesome.

- Perrier water is still terrible.

- I don't know when or how Run the Jewels got SO big, but their set was incredible. Joined on stage by Zack Dela Rocha, Travis Barker and Gangsta Boo for each of the songs they're featured on from RTJ2. Travis Barker might be the most incongruous member of a band ever, he's way too cool to be in Blink 182.

- !!! are required festival viewing. The lead singer of Future Islands got nothing on this guy, and their sound is just fantastic live. So much dancing, so many people having a lot of fun. Again, they're a perfect festival band. Also didn't realize they have a new album out this year.

- The first notes of "This Modern Love" still nearly make me cry every time I hear them, and that's OK. Second time seeing them. Even though I was right up near the stage and in the middle of an awesome pit, I think I narrowly preferred their set at Lollapalooza a few years back when I was a million miles from the stage. Song selection was better at that show, I think. Though I will say that the new song they played was a decent song, just a terrible Bloc Party song. They said they have a new album out next year, btw.

- YEEZY! He was great until the middle of his set, which I personally didn't like. I may have just been bitter because I chose to watch all of Bloc Party, so I missed No Church in the Wild, Stronger and Power, but had to sit through three full Cruel Summer tracks, and four-five seconds (which, granted, did have a Rihanna feature, but it was SO weird, like, she was just standing in the pit with a mic, she looked high out of her mind, like she had no idea where she was) and then missed the ten minute medley of hits he did in order to get to Jesus and Mary Chain in time. And to be honest, hearing 30 seconds of All of the Lights would've just pissed me off more. Except Travis just told me that Rihanna DID sing on All of the Lights as well and now my heart hurts.

- Jesus and Mary Chain were as good live as the first time, but I was disappointed by the Pychocandy set, because, as contentious an opinion as it may be, that is my least favorite album of theirs, but remember that I count them among my favorite bands. They also didn't play "April Skies" so fuck off there.

Anyways, FYF day 1 almost ended up being my favorite festival day ever. Just good music, good times, no stress, affordable food (God Pupusas are amazing). BUT once it got to the end of the day, their poor scheduling really did rear its ugly head in the choices I had to make and I missed a lot and that was a bummer. I'm still giving favorite fest day to the day of Lolla that I saw The Cure.

OH ALSO: RIDE IS COMING!!!!!! November 12th at the Wiltern. I don't know if this was mentioned, but I'm so FUCKING HYPED.

I got really sick to my stomach and missed most of JAMC, but otherwise I had an incredible time yesterday.

Spiritualized, D'Angelo and Morrissey today :panic:

Oh yeah and I'm psyched as fuck for Ride. Like many great shoegaze bands, I need to hear their EPs. I did not regret hearing virtually every note ever recorded by Slowdive.

Last edited:
I got really sick to my stomach and missed most of JAMC, but otherwise I had an incredible time yesterday.

Oh yeah and I'm psyched as fuck for Ride. Like many great shoegaze bands, I need to hear their EPs. I did not regret hearing virtually every note ever recorded by Slowdive.

I'm sad we didn't see them with Eagulls, but fuck, I can't believe this is happening. I thought missing them earlier this year was going to be our only chance once they weren't on the FYF bill.

I was disappointed by the Pychocandy set, because, as contentious an opinion as it may be, that is my least favorite album of theirs, but remember that I count them among my favorite bands.

Right there with you. Psychocandy is certainly a landmark album, but it's too much of the same thing.

No comment on Kanye?

No comment on Kanye?

Incredible set...for a while. The first, I don't know, 15 songs were just one jam after another. Absolutely huge, stadium-sized versions of great songs. No Church in the Wild was a nasty opener and we didn't get it on the Yeezus tour, so that was a treat. All Day is a fantastic addition to the set. In fact, it sounds like he wrote the song just to have something else to throw in there. The momentum he builds up in the current setlist is breathtaking. When he says he's the biggest rock star on the planet, people laugh, but with a start like that, he really backs it up.

...but then he brought out Travis Scott and everything fell apart. The two(!) songs of his that they played were actually quite tolerable, but the vibe was ruined. Nobody around me knew the songs and it was awkward. Travis Scott tried to get the crowd hyped but it just didn't work. Then Kanye tried to get things back on track with Runaway, which was amazing, only to play FourFiveSeconds. Terrible sequencing right there. After that he played literally 1 minute each of his biggest hits. I must have heard five songs (Jesus Walks, All Falls Down, Touch the Sky, Gold Digger, All of the Lights) while I was walking to JAMC. He played a couple more that I missed, but I think I managed to hear all but five minutes of the set (Good Life and Only One were the tracks I missed, I think).

My issue is...he knew he was playing a festival. He went out of his way to mention the time constraints and that, despite Runaway being his favorite song to perform, it had to be cut short. So why showcase a shitty artist on GOOD and disrespect the songs that got him where he is today with only 75 minutes to work with? I don't get it. But he was incredibly energetic and most of the set was as good as I expected, maybe better. Demented, obscene, egotistical, very Kanye.

Last edited:
Darklands is so fucking good.

I still havn't listened to Stoned and Dethroned because I was saving it for a special occasion (since I only have that and Munki left before I've heard everything), so it looks like that'll be what I listen to at work tomorrow.

Stoned & Dethroned is probably my favorite, though it's pretty damned far from their trademark sound. Mostly acoustic, or more to the point distortion-and-feedback-free. Still a fair number of solos.

Like the debut, it's fairly homogenous, but the difference is that there's a bit more sophistication.

Munki is one of the best and most underrated swan songs I've ever heard. It's classic JAMC for the most part but there's also some fresh sounds. They definitely didn't limp out the door.

- !!! are required festival viewing. The lead singer of Future Islands got nothing on this guy, and their sound is just fantastic live. So much dancing, so many people having a lot of fun. Again, they're a perfect festival band. Also didn't realize they have a new album out this year.
Is that the guy from Deftones?

- The first notes of "This Modern Love" still nearly make me cry every time I hear them, and that's OK. Second time seeing them. Even though I was right up near the stage and in the middle of an awesome pit, I think I narrowly preferred their set at Lollapalooza a few years back when I was a million miles from the stage. Song selection was better at that show, I think. Though I will say that the new song they played was a decent song, just a terrible Bloc Party song. They said they have a new album out next year, btw.
:up: Looking forward to that album. Also, who does backing vocals now that the bassist has left?

I'm sad we didn't see them with Eagulls, but fuck, I can't believe this is happening. I thought missing them earlier this year was going to be our only chance once they weren't on the FYF bill.

Goddamn I wish I could've seen that Ride/Eagulls tour.

And come on Ride, you're going to Hawaii and Japan, how about some Aussie dates?

I can't believe they're still a thing.

Tomorrow's Modern Boxes was pretty underrated, I think. I still to a few of those tracks on the reg.

I've been hearing a hell of lot of Vampire Weekend lately, and I'm coming to the conclusion that they suck. For so long I was thinking I would grow to appreciate them, that there must be something there to justify the effusive praise. But all I'm finding is that every one of their songs is unbearably precious.

They're just so fucking odd as a music phenomenon. Like they're slightly off-kilter but in the most inoffensive way possible, so there's a vaguely interesting sheen that hides absolutely no depth whatsoever.

Read the pitchfork review of their most recent. It's like they made a high work of art but then you listen to it and you wonder what the writer was smoking.

Read the pitchfork review of their most recent. It's like they made a high work of art but then you listen to it and you wonder what the writer was smoking.

"The writer"? It finished #1 in their year-end poll. #3 on Stereogum, #1 on Rolling Stone, #1 on PopMatters, and #2 on Pazz & Jopp.

That's not one person smoking something, that's called consensus. You two are in a small minority.

The Dean is a big fan too, BTW. MVOTC got an A+.

Robert Christgau: CG: Vampire weekend

Suck on that.

Back
Top Bottom