Random Music Talk CXI: W Sellin' VW To Me?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
corduroy/off he goes/down/rearviewmirror

4th place has a revolving door of about 10 different songs, but i'm pretty sure those first 3 to be set in stone so to speak.

Thinking about this little exercise reminds me that hardly any of Eddie Vedder's lyrics are above high-school-angry-poet level. I just like his Eddie Scream.

If we replace leash with daughter on cobbler's, we'd have my top 4 least favorite pearl jam singles. Leash is great though.

I saw Best Coast tonight, which despite my initial reservations ended up being a lot of fun. Bethany is super cool, though I think the guy resents her a bit for getting all the attention. The number of 20-somethings in the crowd completely losing their shit was bemusing and made me feel every bit my age.

This is disappointing to hear.

But it's alright, I'm in a better mood this year and too busy dancing on the Carly Rae hype train to get too down about what LDR is doing.

If you want a smooth, atmospheric album with lovely female vocals, one of the year's best albums comes out next week:

Reviews for Have You in My Wilderness by Julia Holter - Metacritic

It's on NPR right now and I can't recommend it highly enough. Holter is on an incredible streak right now.

Ehhhh, probably. But I couldn't walk in a straight line when I made them. What's your excuse?

;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Last edited:
That's a pretty lazy look at Vedder's lyrics Kieran. That can be applied eventually to a couple of songs from Ten and that's basically it. The mid-career albums - No Code and Binaural in particular - have excellent lyrics.

In any case (God Cobbler's Rushmore is incredibly lame):

Immortality/Black/Corduroy/In My Tree

Last edited:
Ok, my hasty take is based mainly on the early two or three albums, but I've always felt there's a bit of a sloppy back-of-the-envelope aspect to Eddie Vedder's lyric writing. To the extent that I like Pearl Jam (which is limited), it's not really for the words.

Or more presidents.

TrumpForPresident62415.jpg

Really digging this track:

I wonder if the full album will hold up, though. There's been a lot of great tracks in electro-pop this year.

That's a pretty lazy look at Vedder's lyrics Kieran. That can be applied eventually to a couple of songs from Ten and that's basically it. The mid-career albums - No Code and Binaural in particular - have excellent lyrics.

In any case (God Cobbler's Rushmore is incredibly lame):

Immortality/Black/Corduroy/In My Tree

Aww, did I make widdle djerdap mad?

I've got one of your songs in there, Elderly Woman is well-loved, Dissident has one of the best riffs ever and Leash is a great rocker (though admittedly that could rotate with a number of songs). (Also, I can never remember how like half of Ten goes and aside from one or two moments here or there can't recall any songs from other albums so maybe I wasn't the best person to start this)

i can't speak for djerdap, it's just that it's 3 of the 5 pearl jam songs i've heard far too many times to ever need to hear them again. (the other two being jeremy and daughter. better man i still like too much, but we could throw it in there too)

Back
Top Bottom