Random Music Talk CXI: W Sellin' VW To Me?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm enjoying the new HEALTH album. It's got a few surprisingly poppy songs on it that don't seem a bit jarring in contrast at first, but kinda fit for me now. I reaaaaaaally like the industrial sounding tracks though.

I'm enjoying the new HEALTH album. It's got a few surprisingly poppy songs on it that don't seem a bit jarring in contrast at first, but kinda fit for me now. I reaaaaaaally like the industrial sounding tracks though.

I enjoyed it quite a bit. Great headphones album.

Okilly-Dokilly.jpg

Meet the world's first Ned Flanders themed metal band - Rip It Up

I listened to it at work yesterday while I was doing the most mindless part of my job and the album barely registered with me at all, either. That's...not great, since I really didn't have anything else to focus my attention on. Maybe I just didn't know what I was in for, or what, but I just wasn't feeling it at all.

This happened to me too. Beyond registering that it was heavier than her previous work, I couldn't recall much.

I enjoyed it more on a second listen, but am yet to give it a third.

Together Alone is far and away the best thing Neil Finn or Crowded House ever did. Simply stunning.

In its way, this is the sound of three or four guys chopping down Woodface.

Last edited:
You won't hear any disagreement from me there. One of my favourite albums of all time. Neil Finn doing a beautiful solo version of "Catherine Wheels" is one of the best things I've ever seen at a concert.

You won't hear any disagreement from me there. One of my favourite albums of all time. Neil Finn doing a beautiful solo version of "Catherine Wheels" is one of the best things I've ever seen at a concert.

Even the token Paul Hester contribution, 'Skin Feeling' sounds awesome. I think someone was listening to a bit of Achtung Baby that week.

Together Alone is far and away the best thing Neil Finn or Crowded House ever did. Simply stunning.

In its way, this is the sound of three or four guys chopping down Woodface.

I've heard most of their output (maybe all of it by now) and haven't heard anything to contend with this.

Fun trivia; the extra member (Mark Hart?) they brought on fulltime for Together Alone later rejoined Supertramp, whence he came.

You guys, is there such a thing as a dvr that you buy at Target, plug into your TV and hook up to your cable, and then record stuff on?

Or do they all require some sort of subscription to some service?

/old

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

Even the token Paul Hester contribution, 'Skin Feeling' sounds awesome. I think someone was listening to a bit of Achtung Baby that week.

I recognise that Hessie was in large part responsible for Crowded House's live reputation, but I've never understood why "Italian Plastic" from Woodface is held in fond regard by a large section of the fanbase. It's a total dud and "Skin Feeling" is the track he should be remembered for writing.

And god I wish Crowded House hadn't broken up before finishing the fifth album they were recording in the mid-nineties. The tracks from those sessions that have been released - the new ones on the Best Of, and a few on Afterglow - are mostly great and I'm sure the album would have been a strong followup to Together Alone. I'm particularly fond of "I Am in Love" on Afterglow because it's the only studio recording of Crowded House rocking out the end of a song in the manner they always did live. If some of their studio takes more closely resembled the live versions, the "rock" part of their lazy "pop/rock" tag might get emphasised more than the "pop" part.

You guys, is there such a thing as a dvr that you buy at Target, plug into your TV and hook up to your cable, and then record stuff on?

Or do they all require some sort of subscription to some service?

/old

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

I have no idea, does this make me old too?

I recognise that Hessie was in large part responsible for Crowded House's live reputation, but I've never understood why "Italian Plastic" from Woodface is held in fond regard by a large section of the fanbase. It's a total dud and "Skin Feeling" is the track he should be remembered for writing.

And god I wish Crowded House hadn't broken up before finishing the fifth album they were recording in the mid-nineties. The tracks from those sessions that have been released - the new ones on the Best Of, and a few on Afterglow - are mostly great and I'm sure the album would have been a strong followup to Together Alone. I'm particularly fond of "I Am in Love" on Afterglow because it's the only studio recording of Crowded House rocking out the end of a song in the manner they always did live. If some of their studio takes more closely resembled the live versions, the "rock" part of their lazy "pop/rock" tag might get emphasised more than the "pop" part.

They certainly could rock like hell if they wanted to.

I was upset at the time when they called it quits, but to be honest, I felt the couple of new songs that made the best-of were nice but a bit generic. If that actually represented an album-that-might-have-been-in-progress, it felt like a bit of a step down.

I was so into Neil generally in the mid nineties that I was one of the three people that bought 'Finn' (on cassette). Damn good little record actually. Neil was on a hot streak there for a while.

They certainly could rock like hell if they wanted to.

I was upset at the time when they called it quits, but to be honest, I felt the couple of new songs that made the best-of were nice but a bit generic. If that actually represented an album-that-might-have-been-in-progress, it felt like a bit of a step down.

I was so into Neil generally in the mid nineties that I was one of the three people that bought 'Finn' (on cassette). Damn good little record actually. Neil was on a hot streak there for a while.

I prefer to believe that "Not the Girl..." doesn't exist, probably the only Neil song I outright detest, but "Instinct" and especially "Everything Is Good For You" are great songs. "I Am in Love", "You Can Touch", and "Help Is Coming" on Afterglow had potential and indicate some interesting new directions - or in the case of "I Am in Love" fit comfortably in my top ten Crowdies songs.

I think that Neil's first solo album, Try Whistling This, was even better than that first Finn Brothers album, though "Only Talking Sense" and "Suffer Never" are absolute Finn-related classics. Neil did a great version of "Suffer Never" back when he was touring Pajama Club a few years ago. It was the only older song he did from his back catalogue on that tour, and it segued into a cover of Gary Numan's "Are Friends Electric?"

I prefer to believe that "Not the Girl..." doesn't exist, probably the only Neil song I outright detest, but "Instinct" and especially "Everything Is Good For You" are great songs. "I Am in Love", "You Can Touch", and "Help Is Coming" on Afterglow had potential and indicate some interesting new directions - or in the case of "I Am in Love" fit comfortably in my top ten Crowdies songs.

I think that Neil's first solo album, Try Whistling This, was even better than that first Finn Brothers album, though "Only Talking Sense" and "Suffer Never" are absolute Finn-related classics. Neil did a great version of "Suffer Never" back when he was touring Pajama Club a few years ago. It was the only older song he did from his back catalogue on that tour, and it segued into a cover of Gary Numan's "Are Friends Electric?"

Not The Girl etc was certainly one that I was thinking of. I can't even remember Afterglow at this point.

The first proper Neil Finn solo album was very solid, very of its time too ('put some loops and shit under it'). I think he started to lose me around the time of One Nil (although in fairness I was very depressed at the time). I respect him and all, but yeah.

Back
Top Bottom