Random Music Talk CXI: W Sellin' VW To Me?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bunch of my friends saw Billy Joel at Wrigley tonight. I said fuck that and watched a Magnetic Fields documentary.

August 2015 can fuck off and go straight to Hell.

Spoilered because it's not a bid for sympathy, just a vent of sorts.

I started the month with a very painful lower abdominal issue that has somewhat sorted itself out, but will probably require surgery before the year is over. I had to sleep sitting up for several nights, and I missed seeing Marriages in San Diego. Then Tuesday night I ate something really bad, lost consciousness standing in the bathroom, and woke up to the sound of my head hitting the bathroom wall. I hyperventilated so bad my hands formed into claws and my sweetheart called the paramedics. IWB, do they all wear wings and halos? These guys did. They were so nice and so kind. It was my first ambulance ride. At the ER, I managed to puke up my entire lunch and dinner, so I felt a little better after that. My 2 AM CT scan of my head was clear, so I was home by 3:45 AM. Fucking hell, what a fucked up month.

Music.

That's shitty. Yeah August can fuck of then. Glad your ok though.

No halos or wings here, but I'm glad the medics out there are nicer. :up:

I wasn't even aware that Jarvis Cocker had solo albums until recently. I got around to hearing the debut, Jarvis, and was really impressed with it. It has his characteristic subversive wit and self-effacing attitude with some great pop melodicism. I think those songs would have worked fine as a Pulp album proper.

I managed to get through two Beach Boys albums today in less than 50 minutes. After Pet Sounds, they really stopped giving a fuck about value and just put out whatever.

Friends is a very overlooked album BTW. Very few outright bad tracks and it has a very unique sound. Extremely relaxing and vaguely psychedelic.

Last edited:
I also discovered today that the Beach Boys beat us to Shuttlecock by over 30 years:

Match Point of Our Love

It's been a long, long while
Since we've been strung out on love
And there's no mask of a smile
That can hide what we're thinkin' of
From your heart I hear
Only distant echoes of empty love
I guess this must be the matchpoint of our love

Early in the game when you broke me
Just like a serve (matchpoint matchpoint)
We shoulda walked off the court
But we both didn't have the nerve (matchpoint matchpoint)
So we volleyed a while with small talk
And a smile and as push comes to shove
I'd say this must be the matchpoint of our love

No one ever held me the way you did
No one could ever love me the way you did
How could love slip away from me?

In life's lonely game love too often
Can let you down (matchpoint matchpoint)
And tho' no one's to blame
Love is stil the only game in town (matchpoint matchpoint)
When it's love's last play you can only say by the stars above That this
must be the match point of our love

Da da da, da da da da da da (matchpoint matcpoint)
Da da da da da, da da da da da da (matchpoint matchpoint)

(Oooooooooo)
(Oooooooooo)
(Oooooooooo)

In case you don't believe this is real:

Beach Boys - Matchpoint Of Our Love Lyrics | MetroLyrics

I enjoy the last few Flaming Lips records quite a bit, but some of their earlier stuff is just atrocious. Yeah Yeah Yeah Song, She Don't Use Jelly...I get that the guy is supposed to be all acid-fried and such, but the latter especially is like the worst Syd Barrett pastiche ever.

I lost interest in The Flaming Lips somewhere been Yoshimi Battles The Pink Fukkahs and At War With The Mystics... it just seems to me like they're about 80% filler, with maybe one or two really great songs to a record (and even those a little soft-centred for my tastes).

So yeah. Not a fan.

I also discovered today that the Beach Boys beat us to Shuttlecock by over 30 years:

Match Point of Our Love

It's been a long, long while
Since we've been strung out on love
And there's no mask of a smile
That can hide what we're thinkin' of
From your heart I hear
Only distant echoes of empty love
I guess this must be the matchpoint of our love

Early in the game when you broke me
Just like a serve (matchpoint matchpoint)
We shoulda walked off the court
But we both didn't have the nerve (matchpoint matchpoint)
So we volleyed a while with small talk
And a smile and as push comes to shove
I'd say this must be the matchpoint of our love

No one ever held me the way you did
No one could ever love me the way you did
How could love slip away from me?

In life's lonely game love too often
Can let you down (matchpoint matchpoint)
And tho' no one's to blame
Love is stil the only game in town (matchpoint matchpoint)
When it's love's last play you can only say by the stars above That this
must be the match point of our love

Da da da, da da da da da da (matchpoint matcpoint)

(Oooooooooo)
(Oooooooooo)
(Oooooooooo)

In case you don't believe this is real:

Beach Boys - Matchpoint Of Our Love Lyrics | MetroLyrics

Truly a dark day in Interference history.

I managed to get through two Beach Boys albums today in less than 50 minutes. After Pet Sounds, they really stopped giving a fuck about value and just put out whatever.

Friends is a very overlooked album BTW. Very few outright bad tracks and it has a very unique sound. Extremely relaxing and vaguely psychedelic.

I'll have to disagree here, there are a couple exceptions. Surf's Up is very good, Holland is legitimately great, and I think the additions of Blondie Chaplin and Ricky Fataar really gave them a new sound that's worth checking out.

I'll have to disagree here, there are a couple exceptions. Surf's Up is very good, Holland is legitimately great, and I think the additions of Blondie Chaplin and Ricky Fataar really gave them a new sound that's worth checking out.

By value, I just meant album length. The post-Pet Sounds, pre-MIU Album stuff is generally worth hearing in terms of quality, just bafflingly short.

I DO NOT like the first half of Surf's Up, but the second half is masterful.

Well yeah, that's because it sounds nothing like Syd Barrett. :lol:

It's like Syd Barrett in the whole "I'm out of my fucking gourd and writing these wacky lyrics about somesuch bullshit, isn't that precious???" sort of mentality.

The Flaming Lips are one of the most excruciatingly terrible bands I swear to god.

I disliked At War With The Mystics, but they redeemed themselves with Embryonic and The Terror.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I enjoy the last few Flaming Lips records quite a bit, but some of their earlier stuff is just atrocious. Yeah Yeah Yeah Song, She Don't Use Jelly...I get that the guy is supposed to be all acid-fried and such, but the latter especially is like the worst Syd Barrett pastiche ever.

Yeah Yeah Yeah Song is not even remotely early, it's not even 10 years old. Even She Don't Use Jelly was like 10 years into their career I think. And the album that comes from has a lot of other great tracks. I agree it's silly and somewhat perplexing with regards to its popularity but it's simple and catchy.

I love the band though so will always defend them even if Wayne Coyne has made them harder to like than ever.

Wayne isn't much of a singer, but it's hard to call them a terrible band because they have Steven Drozd. He is insanely gifted and talented and if they lost him they'd be done.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

New Foals album is really enjoyable.

Sent from my SM-G928P using U2 Interference mobile app

Back
Top Bottom