Random Music CXXVI: The Woy Eet Eez

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I first became aware of him via that Last Waltz appearance, but have since enjoyed the sampling of his own discography I've explored (namely his first few albums). Definitely need to hear more.

One of a kind.

Reading his Wiki bio is a real trip. Not many musicians have their finger mangled by a gunshot and have to switch from guitar to piano, are arrested for drug dealing and running a brothel and serve time in a Federal prison, have a Muppet and music festival named after him, member of legendary sessions group The Wrecking Crew, and managed to play with Van Morrison (also producing his album A Period of Transition), the Stones, and Spiritualized.

Also, this is timely considering the recent demise of Leon Redbone:

So Madonna’s “Madame X” came straight out of left field. The 5 songs she previously released were, in my opinion, hardly an indication of what the rest of the album was going to be like - the most adventurous one in a pretty long time.

Also wanted to point out that “Crave” is such a great pop song and an early favorite.

Man, that new Bob Dylan documentary by Scorsese is a real trip and a half. So many great moments, and a real sense of, uhh, freewheeling playfulness that befits the tour itself as well as its eclectic group of personalities. I've seen Dylan's unreleased Renaldo and Clara film before, and there's definitely some material taken from there, but the majority of this was new to me.

I loved the candid moment between Dylan and Joan Baez that seems to be the most "real" peek behind the curtain at the former's rare on-camera vulnerability, and you can also see how close their bond is/was by the way they talk about each other in the present-day interviews, as well as the concert footage of their duets.

Another favorite section was when Joni Mitchell joins up with the tour, and a scene of her playing the just-written Coyote with Dylan accompanying on guitar put a smile on my face that was slow to fade.

A lot of great Allen Ginsberg footage as well, and a better look at violinist Scarlet Rivera than we've ever seen before; a real strange but hypnotic character.

Was lucky enough to catch this at a theatre but it's on Netflix as we speak for anyone to see. A nice companion piece to The Last Waltz.

I thought she overreacted to the NYT article (it wasn’t a bad piece). I assume she got mad because she thought it was going to focus on the album and her looking forward, but instead ended up focusing on something else.

I still admire her for not staying quiet, but I do wish her responses to these “controversies” weren’t as harsh or intense as they turn out to be. :shrug:

Yeah it's a fair complaint coming from her end, but Pitchfork doest make a point about the rarity of a pop star to be at her age and still part of the conversation and not going the easy listening route.

Listening to the album today, but I have been hearing reactions from some hardcore Madonna fans and some of them love it. So we'll see.

For me there isn't much uglier than an incredibly rich megastar who only surrounds themselves with people who say 'yes' complaining about criticism.

That lyric that's mentioned in the review "I'll be poor if the poor are humiliated" is worse than anything Bono has written in the past 20 years. How fucking tone-deaf.

Needless to say, however isolated U2 may be, Bono's ear is a lot closer to the ground than Madonna's is.

I found the album pretty enjoyable. Not that one should ignore the lyrics, but when it comes to pop my first judgment is based on whether or not the album sounds good, if it has any hooks, and if the performer's voice is in good shape, and I can say yes to all three re: Madame X. There are at least 4 tracks that I'd consider great and probably only 3 (out of 15) that are disposable.

And for what it's worth, the Metacritic score on this one (70) is her highest since Confessions on a Dance Floor, which means it's been rated higher than Hard Candy, MDNA, and Rebel Heart.
Not by much, but this isn't the disaster one might think just based on a couple prominent reactions.

Don't forget Pitchfork didn't think Carly Rae's Emotion was that great so they clearly don't know what the fuck they're talking about with pop a lot of the time.

I'm looking forward to new Hot Chip, Two Door Cinema Club and The Raconteurs albums on Friday

I'm looking forward to new Hot Chip, Two Door Cinema Club and The Raconteurs albums on Friday
Same here with the Raconteurs. I think I might have mentioned this recently, but Consolers of the Lonely is one of my favorite albums of the last 10 years or so.

Haven’t heard the lead singles from the new Two Door Cinema Club, so I’m looking forward to the 1st listen.

Man, that new Bob Dylan documentary by Scorsese is a real trip and a half. So many great moments, and a real sense of, uhh, freewheeling playfulness that befits the tour itself as well as its eclectic group of personalities. I've seen Dylan's unreleased Renaldo and Clara film before, and there's definitely some material taken from there, but the majority of this was new to me.

I loved the candid moment between Dylan and Joan Baez that seems to be the most "real" peek behind the curtain at the former's rare on-camera vulnerability, and you can also see how close their bond is/was by the way they talk about each other in the present-day interviews, as well as the concert footage of their duets.

Another favorite section was when Joni Mitchell joins up with the tour, and a scene of her playing the just-written Coyote with Dylan accompanying on guitar put a smile on my face that was slow to fade.

A lot of great Allen Ginsberg footage as well, and a better look at violinist Scarlet Rivera than we've ever seen before; a real strange but hypnotic character.

Was lucky enough to catch this at a theatre but it's on Netflix as we speak for anyone to see. A nice companion piece to The Last Waltz.

The Ginsberg stuff was maybe my favorite. I read his poetry in college, and loved it. But had never seen him on camera like this. He comes across as a very warm and endearing person. I immediately like him. I'd always assumed he'd be more of a rough character for some reason.

The Hurricane section is great, too.

Man, they got me good though. The fuckers. It took me over half the movie to even sense that something was off with the filmmaker Van Dorp and his story.

That lyric that's mentioned in the review "I'll be poor if the poor are humiliated" is worse than anything Bono has written in the past 20 years. How fucking tone-deaf.

Cannot wait for Bono to quote this approvingly in concert.

Just started listening right now and came into the thread, coincidentally.

Random meme talk: the "Nobody" thing floating right now is not funny. It is always forced and rarely makes any sense at all. Worst meme in quite some time.

Back
Top Bottom