Random Music CXXVI: The Woy Eet Eez - Page 9 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-03-2019, 11:37 AM   #121
Blue Crack Supplier
 
lazarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 39,650
Local Time: 10:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
i get your point but please also understand from our perspective how irritating it became to have biffy clyro shoehorned into damn near every conversation in this thread regardless of the topic. it was mildly amusing the first couple times, the 30th time not so much. you know as well as anyone else around here how we have a tendency to turn annoying posts into over-the-top jokes and memes (coughredhillcough).

anyways i hope you stick around.
Ding ding ding!

Honestly not here for the phony victim claims. Bands that get talked about, particularly active ones, frequently deserve a thread. Mikal was asked to create one and didn’t seem to care.

I don’t think it was a case of being singled out.

Having said that, as much as the posts annoyed me, I certainly didn’t want anyone leaving the forum over it.
__________________

lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 11:41 AM   #122
Blue Crack Supplier
 
lazarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 39,650
Local Time: 10:03 PM
Also, fight the real enemy (Australia):

This Vegemite-Toast-Flavored Liqueur Sounds Like a Dare
__________________

lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 12:02 PM   #123
Blue Crack Addict
 
Hewson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Your own private Idaho
Posts: 28,865
Local Time: 01:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
Also, fight the real enemy (Australia):

This Vegemite-Toast-Flavored Liqueur Sounds Like a Dare
The next big thing down under will be Outback Boilermakers, dropping a shot of that stuff into a big mug of Foster's, swilling it down then breaking the mug over your head while yelling "another mate" to the barkeep.
Hewson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 12:24 PM   #124
Blue Crack Addict
 
GirlsAloudFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Chicago
Posts: 25,863
Local Time: 12:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikal View Post
Sorry if my excitement over a band I recently discovered was annoying. Just thought I’d share my excitement over it in here because ummmm...that’s what people do in this thread.

But for a mod to start a thread with the intention of singling out and trolling a member of almost 20 years is probably one of the more childish things I’ve seen here. Diemen, is your intention was to lose yet another member, mission accomplished. Not going to be subjected to that kind of behavior.

There are a good number of you that I’m friends with on Facebook and you can find me there... and please keep in touch.
See ya.
GirlsAloudFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 01:14 PM   #125
Blue Crack Addict
 
DaveC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: illegitimi non carborundum
Posts: 19,400
Local Time: 01:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
Honestly not here for the phony victim claims. Bands that get talked about, particularly active ones, frequently deserve a thread. Mikal was asked to create one and didn’t seem to care.
yeah, frankly it's a little pathetic to act like this. it's one thing to be excited about a new band you discovered and share a few links and see if anyone else is interested. people may not like it or listen or care at all and if that's the case, then you move on and enjoy the tunes yourself, or if you really want a place to chat about them, there's about a million places on the internet you can go to talk with fans about any band that has ever existed. repeatedly spamming the band into totally unrelated conversations when you know by then that nobody else is interested, even to the point of straight up naming a *random* music talk thread after the band knowing full well that it'd irritate people, is flat-out trolling.

he was asked multiple times to create a separate thread if he wanted to talk about them so much and flat-out declined (gleefully, i might add, fully aware of the irritant he was being to the rest of us), so one was made for him. in that thread as of now there is no mention of him, nobody is attacking or mocking him, and it's a bunch of lighthearted joking around. but i guess somehow that's so insulting that he feels the need not only to leave the forums forever after 20+ years but also make a melodramatic "how could you do this to me" exit on the way out? please.

i'm not even going to get into the fact that, in terms of singling out and trolling, what he regularly gave to redhill was at least 10x worse than anything he's ever gotten back from diemen, or anyone else for that matter.
DaveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 01:43 PM   #126
Blue Crack Addict
 
mikal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Black Lodge
Posts: 25,462
Local Time: 12:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
yeah, frankly it's a little pathetic to act like this. it's one thing to be excited about a new band you discovered and share a few links and see if anyone else is interested. people may not like it or listen or care at all and if that's the case, then you move on and enjoy the tunes yourself, or if you really want a place to chat about them, there's about a million places on the internet you can go to talk with fans about any band that has ever existed. repeatedly spamming the band into totally unrelated conversations when you know by then that nobody else is interested, even to the point of straight up naming a *random* music talk thread after the band knowing full well that it'd irritate people, is flat-out trolling.

he was asked multiple times to create a separate thread if he wanted to talk about them so much and flat-out declined (gleefully, i might add, fully aware of the irritant he was being to the rest of us), so one was made for him. in that thread as of now there is no mention of him, nobody is attacking or mocking him, and it's a bunch of lighthearted joking around. but i guess somehow that's so insulting that he feels the need not only to leave the forums forever after 20+ years but also make a melodramatic "how could you do this to me" exit on the way out? please.

i'm not even going to get into the fact that, in terms of singling out and trolling, what he regularly gave to redhill was at least 10x worse than anything he's ever gotten back from diemen, or anyone else for that matter.
I think your perspective is a bit jaded. I legitimately expressed my excitement about the band several times with good intentions that someone else might be influenced to give them a chance. Something similar has happened in my group of friends. Christ man, I wasn't trolling anyone. What bugs me is that I've posted about them yes, numerous times, but when you break it down, it's not like I'm doing it every day. I think the one where Laz was being Laz telling me to start my own thread was where I ranked their albums. There's nothing wrong with that. I also know that this forum is slow and starting a thread is pointless. The name of this thread is "Random". I've talked about several other bands here and have had good discussions over the years.

The other problem with your perspective is this "trolling" of Redhill you're talking about. Who didn't single out the guy who called everyone here "Grand Bitches". Whole different level man.

My main problem is with Diemen obviously creating a thread to try to single me out. I'm not trying to play a victim card here, just fed up with Diemen's crap that goes back throughout several years.

I know I said I was leaving, but your post was not consistent with reality so I felt the need to at least respond.

But whatever. Sorry that I wanted to share excitement about one of my favorite bands!
mikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 01:44 PM   #127
Blue Crack Addict
 
DaveC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: illegitimi non carborundum
Posts: 19,400
Local Time: 01:03 AM
okay then mister martyr. all the best.
DaveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 01:50 PM   #128
Blue Crack Addict
 
mikal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Black Lodge
Posts: 25,462
Local Time: 12:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
okay then mister martyr. all the best.
Good grief. I've never had a problem with you. Not sure what your deal is.

Anywho, I won't bother you guys with Biffy Clyro anymore but decided to stay. I had a bad/stressful morning and saw Diemen's thread. I've reported that and hope it can be closed and just carry on.
mikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 01:57 PM   #129
Blue Crack Addict
 
DaveC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: illegitimi non carborundum
Posts: 19,400
Local Time: 01:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikal View Post
Not sure what your deal is.
i wrote several paragraphs today explaining rather clearly what my deal is.

anyways i've more than said my piece, honestly i'm glad you changed your mind and i hope your day gets better.
DaveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 02:06 PM   #130
Blue Crack Addict
 
mikal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Black Lodge
Posts: 25,462
Local Time: 12:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
i wrote several paragraphs today explaining rather clearly what my deal is.

anyways i've more than said my piece, honestly i'm glad you changed your mind and i hope your day gets better.
I know. I read it.

I guess to give a more level headed response, I don't quite understand the backlash. If you go ahead and simply search for Biffy Clyro, it's not like I was posting about them every day, multiple times per day. The last time I posted about them and Laz snapped at me, it was simply me posting about my album rankings by them. My thought was that if maybe someone had thought about checking them out, they'd say "oh at least I have a good suggestion about what album to start out with". The idea that I was trying to troll or start shit is just completely false. I just want to set that record straight with you and everyone else who might have a problem with it. But considering my frequency about posting about them isn't consistent with what would be considered "trolling a forum", that's what led me to assume that I was being singled out. Hope that makes sense.
mikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 02:07 PM   #131
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator
 
Diemen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Somewhere in middle America
Posts: 13,436
Local Time: 12:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikal View Post
I think your perspective is a bit jaded. I legitimately expressed my excitement about the band several times with good intentions that someone else might be influenced to give them a chance. Something similar has happened in my group of friends. Christ man, I wasn't trolling anyone. What bugs me is that I've posted about them yes, numerous times, but when you break it down, it's not like I'm doing it every day. I think the one where Laz was being Laz telling me to start my own thread was where I ranked their albums. There's nothing wrong with that. I also know that this forum is slow and starting a thread is pointless. The name of this thread is "Random". I've talked about several other bands here and have had good discussions over the years.



The other problem with your perspective is this "trolling" of Redhill you're talking about. Who didn't single out the guy who called everyone here "Grand Bitches". Whole different level man.



My main problem is with Diemen obviously creating a thread to try to single me out. I'm not trying to play a victim card here, just fed up with Diemen's crap that goes back throughout several years.



I know I said I was leaving, but your post was not consistent with reality so I felt the need to at least respond.



But whatever. Sorry that I wanted to share excitement about one of my favorite bands!

Ooookay. First, you completely misinterpreted the point of my starting that thread. You clearly enjoy the band. Many people in here clearly don’t and thought you were basically trolling with your rather... insistent mentions of them. I started that thread so you could talk about them, sing their praises, maybe even turn other people on to them without having to deal with the backlash from people here. It was not my intention at all to single you out for ridicule.

Second, I’m not on here all that much. I see that the thread I started has indeed turned into people mocking the band and you (to those saying there’s no specific ridicule directed at mikal in there... it’s pretty implicit in the tone of the jokes).
So my apologies that people here couldn’t leave well enough alone and took that as an excuse to dump on the band and you more.

Lastly, I honestly don’t know what I’ve done to you in the past that makes you think I was out to single you out for ridicule, but I do sincerely apologize if you were getting that feeling from me. I definitely didn’t mean to.
Diemen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 02:09 PM   #132
Blue Crack Addict
 
mikal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Black Lodge
Posts: 25,462
Local Time: 12:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemen View Post
Ooookay. First, you completely misinterpreted the point of my starting that thread. You clearly enjoy the band. Many people in here clearly don’t and thought you were basically trolling with your rather... insistent mentions of them. I started that thread so you could talk about them, sing their praises, maybe even turn other people on to them without having to deal with the backlash from people here. It was not my intention at all to single you out for ridicule.

Second, I’m not on here all that much. I see that the thread I started has indeed turned into people mocking the band and you (to those saying there’s no specific ridicule directed at mikal in there... it’s pretty implicit in the tone of the jokes).
So my apologies that people here couldn’t leave well enough alone and took that as an excuse to dump on the band and you more.

Lastly, I honestly don’t know what I’ve done to you in the past that makes you think I was out to single you out for ridicule, but I do sincerely apologize if you were getting that feeling from me. I definitely didn’t mean to.
Hey man. My apologies for jumping to conclusions. I was having a shitty morning and then saw the thread and the responses and automatically assumed you were in on a public mockery. Having stepped back, I can definitely see that wasn't the case. So all good. My apologies again.
mikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 04:51 PM   #133
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
gump's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: NYC
Posts: 8,393
Local Time: 01:03 AM
I'm looking forward to listening to the new Big Thief this weekend just as much as Vampire Weekend. Capacity was such a great record, and the early indications are that they are moving in an interesting new direction.
gump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 07:35 PM   #134
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Kieran McConville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Kony Island Baby
Posts: 10,161
Local Time: 03:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
it's not really my kind of music to be up to speed on but haven't there been a shit ton of artists lately ripping off taking a lot of inspiration from the glam rock/t rex sort of aesthetic?
That's true enough, and not just lately (hello The Darkness). So, not just Led Zeppelin, admittedly.
Kieran McConville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 09:22 PM   #135
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
gump's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: NYC
Posts: 8,393
Local Time: 01:03 AM
Random Music CXXVI: The Woy Eet Eez

Quote:
Originally Posted by gump View Post
I'm looking forward to listening to the new Big Thief this weekend just as much as Vampire Weekend. Capacity was such a great record, and the early indications are that they are moving in an interesting new direction.


And the verdict is: I really like it. I’m loving that they once again saved for the back half of the album a couple of slow burning songs that crescendo into the stratosphere, like Mary in the previous album and Terminal Paradise / Jenny in this one. Adrianne Lenker is just a fantastic songwriter.
__________________

gump is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com