Random Music CXXVI: The Woy Eet Eez

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hmm. Very hard for me to narrow down top albums for 2010-19, but some that come to me immediately:

Alcest - Écailles de lune
Alcest - Shelter (gonna suck to enforce my "one album per band" rule here)\
Blood Command - Cult Drugs
Caspian - Waking Season
Cult of Luna and Julie Christmas - Mariner
Death and the Maiden - s/t
Death and the Maiden - Wisteria (another artist where it's gonna suck to make a choice)
Eagulls - s/t
Esben and the Witch - Older Terrors
Film School - Fission
The Hotelier - Home, Like Noplace Is There
The Hundred in the Hands - Red Night
The Joy Formidable - The Big Roar
Little May - For the Company
Marnie - Crystal World
Midas Fall - Wilderness
Priest - s/t
Purity Ring - Another Eternity
Save Ends - Warm Hearts, Cold Hands
Thrushes - Exposing Seas
Turnover - Peripheral Vision
Wolf Alice - My Love Is Cool

...christ and I keep thinking of great albums to add to this list. Don't know if I will even be able to compile a proper decade list really.

These albums are the basis for my top-20, I think, but I am not ready to rank them yet.

Arcade Fire - The Suburbs
Beach House - Bloom
Broken Social Scene - Forgiveness Rock Record
Chromatics - Kill for Love
D'Angelo - Black Messiah
David Bowie - Blackstar
Destroyer - Kaputt
Fiona Apple - The Idler Wheel...
Frank Ocean - Channel Orange
Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy
Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp a Butterfly / good kid, m.A.A.d. city / DAMN
LCD Soundsystem - This Is Happening
The National - High Violet / Sleep Well Beast (incredibly difficult to pick one this decade)
PJ Harvey - Let England Shake
Radiohead - A Moon Shaped Pool
St. Vincent - Strange Mercy
Sufjan Stevens - Carrie & Lowell / Age of Adz
Tame Impala - Lonerism
Vampire Weekend - Modern Vampires of the City
The War on Drugs - Lost in the Dream

Mine is a pretty boring list, but it does not have enough pop or hip hop to qualify as a Pitchfork list.

I've now realized that I should have included M83's Hurry Up, We're Dreaming and Solange's A Seat at the Table. Might also need to find a spot for Father, Son, Holy Ghost.

Last edited:
giphy.gif

Fantastic New music Friday. Biffy Clyro and The National. Two of my favorite bands release albums on the same day. [emoji3590]

Never thought I'd see the day where I'm hoping that CRJ is better than the new The National album...

Carly slayed again. That opening run of 7 tracks and Real Love are amazing.

The one caveat I'll make: it's nothing like Emotion. It's much more lush and chill. I'd almost listen to it in a Sade kind of mood.

And let's not forget that Tyler released a great new record as well!

Flaming Lips’ Soft Bulletin is 20 years old, and AFI’s Black Sails in the Sunset turns 20 next week. Realizing two of your favorite albums came out nearly half of your life ago doesn’t make you feel young.

Carly slayed again. That opening run of 7 tracks and Real Love are amazing.

The one caveat I'll make: it's nothing like Emotion. It's much more lush and chill. I'd almost listen to it in a Sade kind of mood.

And let's not forget that Tyler released a great new record as well!

Definitely a barrage of bangers on here, even if nothing quite touches Cut To The Feeling or Emotion’s peaks.. A couple, including Want You In My Room, are over too soon.

Everything He Needs is phenomenal.

Party of One sounds a lot better at the end than as an advance single.

Flaming Lips’ Soft Bulletin is 20 years old, and AFI’s Black Sails in the Sunset turns 20 next week. Realizing two of your favorite albums came out nearly half of your life ago doesn’t make you feel young.

St. Vincent's Actor turned 10 last week, which I find incomprehensible.

Actor being 10 is a bit of a mindfuck. That’s the album that made me a St. Vincent fan. I actually discovered her on this forum when someone suggested her as a U2 opener. Actor is still one of my favorite albums to spin.

I've never listened to any of their other albums, but the new Big Thief album is one of my favs of 2019.

Back
Top Bottom