Random Music CXXVI: The Woy Eet Eez - Page 32 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-14-2019, 07:18 AM   #466
Blue Crack Addict
 
Hewson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Your own private Idaho
Posts: 28,904
Local Time: 03:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post



What does Clapton do vs George on that song? I don't think I know.
Clapton plays the lead guitar and solo on the song.
__________________

Hewson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 07:44 AM   #467
45:33
 
cobl04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: East Point to Shaolin
Posts: 56,836
Local Time: 05:37 PM
The other thing I need to post about is Los Campesinos!

The other night I was having a shit night, I cut my damn finger on one of those mandolin slicers lol, and just everything was not going to plan, and Em was out, and so I needed some music to just take my mind off that and other stuff that was going on in my head.

So I played Romance is Boring for the first time in a long time and... holy shit, what a fucking trip. I realised just how fucking dear to my heart I hold that album. I'm a lot happier these days than I was when I first heard it but I was just so instantly transported back to 2010 listening to it. I felt the emotion. It's so, so important to me, and when I do make my decade list maybe it'll be #1... there's literally only one song (Plan A) that I don't love.

There are so many lyrics on that record that feel like they were written about my life, at that point in time, being a straight man in his very early 20s who was desperate for female connection but always seemed to be the friend (don't worry, I'm no incel, I could write a very long story about myself and what it was all about).

And how
The frequent public displays
Of sisterly affection
Left her feeling safe
Left him with an erection


I can't believe I chose the mountains
Every time you chose the sea


I've been playing straight chicken with gay girls, it's never enough
She keeps on pulling the peace sign, and I think it's a taunt


I'd quote I Just Sighed, but I don't think there's a single song in history that speaks to me more. Not any more. But when people talk about great songs about unrequited love, which is obviously a huge trope in music, none of them ever know I Just Sighed, which is devastating, because it so perfectly captures what it's like to feel unrequited love. Even nearly a decade on, and four years into an amazing relationship, the lyrics still cut me. Very little music does that to me these days.

And then this, which I genuinely think might be my all-time favourite lyric, by anyone:

If you were given the option
Of dying painlessly in peace at forty-five
But with a lover at your side
After a full and happy life
Is this something that would interest you
Would this interest you at all?


I need to write a longer piece about this album. Los Campesinos! have always been so under-loved and under-appreciated. And I wish they knew how important they've been, even if it's not a large amount of people. And I fear that someday soon they will call it quits because they just don't make enough money from LC! to make a real go of it. I might try to shop it around to Stereogum, Av Club, Buzzfeed... and then if no one takes it just publish it on my blog. If anyone knows of any websites that might publish an article like this, please let me know.

And sound off if you love this album, I know there were heaps of us back in the day. Shout outs to Shouter and Laz for being so passionate about them, I shudder to think about my life without this album and Los Campesinos!
__________________

cobl04 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 07:50 AM   #468
45:33
 
cobl04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: East Point to Shaolin
Posts: 56,836
Local Time: 05:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewson View Post
Clapton plays the lead guitar and solo on the song.
Okay that's upsetting a bit haha.
cobl04 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 07:56 AM   #469
45:33
 
cobl04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: East Point to Shaolin
Posts: 56,836
Local Time: 05:37 PM
Omg, Travelling Wilburys had an amazing lineup, is their music good?????
cobl04 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 08:24 AM   #470
Blue Crack Addict
 
DaveC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: illegitimi non carborundum
Posts: 19,465
Local Time: 03:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
Where's DaveC?!
disgustingly hung over from a noel gallagher/smashing pumpkins show last night and barely surviving the workday.

and yes you should listen to traveling wilburys, at least "handle with care" (written by george).
DaveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 09:58 AM   #471
Blue Crack Supplier
 
elevated_u2_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: I'm here 'cus I don't want to go home
Posts: 31,871
Local Time: 03:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
Omg, Travelling Wilburys had an amazing lineup, is their music good?????
Yes. Just listen to the first album though.
elevated_u2_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 10:51 AM   #472
Blue Crack Supplier
 
lazarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 39,699
Local Time: 12:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
(although he was never given a chance by John and Paul to actually flourish)

He's my favourite Beatle.
This isn't accurate or fair. He wasn't a born songwriter like the other two, and if you look at the b-sides from the Past Masters set, it's not like there's a bunch of brilliant tracks that were passed over for album inclusion. Are you really mourning that The Inner Light wasn't on The White Album?

I do believe that Not Guilty would have been one of the best on The White Album, but instead they went with his awful Savoy Truffle. And on Let It Be, they strangely left off the rocking Old Brown Shoe in favor of the subpar For You Blue.

The real story is that he learned a lot from working with John and Paul; they were helping him, not hindering him. That they gave him a couple slots per LP despite his comparative shortcomings as a writer WAS giving him a chance. I simply don't think he had more material, or good enough material, to earn more of a share of the album territories. And while he got better and better as the years passed, and despite having a handful of all-timer songs, I still don't think he came anywhere close to the other two.

And it's fine to call George your favorite Beatle. They all have distinct personalities that appeal to different people. But to call him the "best", as you did in your previous post, that's ridiculous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
The other thing I need to post about is Los Campesinos!

The other night I was having a shit night, I cut my damn finger on one of those mandolin slicers lol, and just everything was not going to plan, and Em was out, and so I needed some music to just take my mind off that and other stuff that was going on in my head.

So I played Romance is Boring for the first time in a long time and... holy shit, what a fucking trip. I realised just how fucking dear to my heart I hold that album. I'm a lot happier these days than I was when I first heard it but I was just so instantly transported back to 2010 listening to it. I felt the emotion. It's so, so important to me, and when I do make my decade list maybe it'll be #1... there's literally only one song (Plan A) that I don't love.

There are so many lyrics on that record that feel like they were written about my life, at that point in time, being a straight man in his very early 20s who was desperate for female connection but always seemed to be the friend (don't worry, I'm no incel, I could write a very long story about myself and what it was all about).

And how
The frequent public displays
Of sisterly affection
Left her feeling safe
Left him with an erection


I can't believe I chose the mountains
Every time you chose the sea


I've been playing straight chicken with gay girls, it's never enough
She keeps on pulling the peace sign, and I think it's a taunt


I'd quote I Just Sighed, but I don't think there's a single song in history that speaks to me more. Not any more. But when people talk about great songs about unrequited love, which is obviously a huge trope in music, none of them ever know I Just Sighed, which is devastating, because it so perfectly captures what it's like to feel unrequited love. Even nearly a decade on, and four years into an amazing relationship, the lyrics still cut me. Very little music does that to me these days.

And then this, which I genuinely think might be my all-time favourite lyric, by anyone:

If you were given the option
Of dying painlessly in peace at forty-five
But with a lover at your side
After a full and happy life
Is this something that would interest you
Would this interest you at all?


I need to write a longer piece about this album. Los Campesinos! have always been so under-loved and under-appreciated. And I wish they knew how important they've been, even if it's not a large amount of people. And I fear that someday soon they will call it quits because they just don't make enough money from LC! to make a real go of it. I might try to shop it around to Stereogum, Av Club, Buzzfeed... and then if no one takes it just publish it on my blog. If anyone knows of any websites that might publish an article like this, please let me know.

And sound off if you love this album, I know there were heaps of us back in the day. Shout outs to Shouter and Laz for being so passionate about them, I shudder to think about my life without this album and Los Campesinos!
Now this I can get on board with. I hope you get this done and manage to find a prominent place to get it published.
lazarus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 12:36 PM   #473
Blue Crack Addict
 
phanan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: in the darkness on the edge of town
Posts: 25,199
Local Time: 02:37 AM
I always look at All Things Must Pass as a double album with a bonus disc of jams. It really is fantastic.

On a related note, can you imagine the songs available if they had stuck together in 1970? I mean, it’s quite ridiculous the level they were at.
phanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 04:50 PM   #474
Blue Crack Addict
 
Moonlit_Angel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Posts: 19,883
Local Time: 02:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
Omg, Travelling Wilburys had an amazing lineup, is their music good?????
Yes . Would love to hear your thoughts if/when you give them a listen.
Moonlit_Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 09:09 PM   #475
Refugee
 
Joey788's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: New York City
Posts: 2,100
Local Time: 03:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
The other thing I need to post about is Los Campesinos!

The other night I was having a shit night, I cut my damn finger on one of those mandolin slicers lol, and just everything was not going to plan, and Em was out, and so I needed some music to just take my mind off that and other stuff that was going on in my head.

So I played Romance is Boring for the first time in a long time and... holy shit, what a fucking trip. I realised just how fucking dear to my heart I hold that album. I'm a lot happier these days than I was when I first heard it but I was just so instantly transported back to 2010 listening to it. I felt the emotion. It's so, so important to me, and when I do make my decade list maybe it'll be #1... there's literally only one song (Plan A) that I don't love.

There are so many lyrics on that record that feel like they were written about my life, at that point in time, being a straight man in his very early 20s who was desperate for female connection but always seemed to be the friend (don't worry, I'm no incel, I could write a very long story about myself and what it was all about).

And how
The frequent public displays
Of sisterly affection
Left her feeling safe
Left him with an erection


I can't believe I chose the mountains
Every time you chose the sea


I've been playing straight chicken with gay girls, it's never enough
She keeps on pulling the peace sign, and I think it's a taunt


I'd quote I Just Sighed, but I don't think there's a single song in history that speaks to me more. Not any more. But when people talk about great songs about unrequited love, which is obviously a huge trope in music, none of them ever know I Just Sighed, which is devastating, because it so perfectly captures what it's like to feel unrequited love. Even nearly a decade on, and four years into an amazing relationship, the lyrics still cut me. Very little music does that to me these days.

And then this, which I genuinely think might be my all-time favourite lyric, by anyone:

If you were given the option
Of dying painlessly in peace at forty-five
But with a lover at your side
After a full and happy life
Is this something that would interest you
Would this interest you at all?


I need to write a longer piece about this album. Los Campesinos! have always been so under-loved and under-appreciated. And I wish they knew how important they've been, even if it's not a large amount of people. And I fear that someday soon they will call it quits because they just don't make enough money from LC! to make a real go of it. I might try to shop it around to Stereogum, Av Club, Buzzfeed... and then if no one takes it just publish it on my blog. If anyone knows of any websites that might publish an article like this, please let me know.

And sound off if you love this album, I know there were heaps of us back in the day. Shout outs to Shouter and Laz for being so passionate about them, I shudder to think about my life without this album and Los Campesinos!
I fully agree with you cobbler. It's the best album by Los Campesinos! I was wrapping up college and had ended a long relationship when Romance is Boring came out. It's definitely still a powerful, emotional listen for me when I revisit it.

I hope you manage to get a piece on it published somewhere. Websites may be looking for content on it too since it's the 10-year anniversary coming up next January. Either way, please make sure to post the link here once it's published!

In other news, Big Thief is releasing another album this year and the first single is fantastic.

Joey788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 09:15 PM   #476
Vocal parasite
 
Axver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: 1853
Posts: 152,720
Local Time: 05:37 PM
Holy shit that new Angel Olsen song is good isn't it. Probably her best. I'm addicted.

I am possibly even more addicted to this song, which I discovered this month. I can only rue the fact that I might have had it in my life years ago but never quite made the step from Pure Bathing Culture's self-titled EP of 2012 to their debut album in 2013. Lucky, then, that I bumped into their new album Night Pass on RYM, gave it a go (it's enjoyable!), and Spotify then dropped this track on me. I queued it to repeat before I had even finished the first listen.

__________________
"Mediocrity is never so dangerous as when it is dressed up as sincerity." - Søren Kierkegaard

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 09:24 PM   #477
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
iron yuppie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 9,882
Local Time: 02:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
I can only rue the fact that I might have had it in my life years ago but never quite made the step from Pure Bathing Culture's self-titled EP of 2012 to their debut album in 2013.

This is a band I would never have thought would be your thing. But yeah they're a pretty solid group. Pendulum is a great track.
iron yuppie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 03:27 AM   #478
Vocal parasite
 
Axver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: 1853
Posts: 152,720
Local Time: 05:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by iron yuppie View Post
This is a band I would never have thought would be your thing. But yeah they're a pretty solid group. Pendulum is a great track.
Yeah, I listened to their EP back when I was checking out basically anything tagged chillwave on RYM and it mustn't have piqued my curiosity enough to see if Moon Tides was any better. Boy am I regretting that now.
__________________
"Mediocrity is never so dangerous as when it is dressed up as sincerity." - Søren Kierkegaard

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 10:32 AM   #479
Blue Crack Addict
 
phanan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: in the darkness on the edge of town
Posts: 25,199
Local Time: 02:37 AM
Love Moon Tides. Haven’t heard the latest yet.
phanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 11:03 AM   #480
Blue Crack Supplier
 
elevated_u2_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: I'm here 'cus I don't want to go home
Posts: 31,871
Local Time: 03:37 AM
I know I'm super late to the party but I dig the latest Beirut album
__________________

elevated_u2_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com