Random Music CXXVI: The Woy Eet Eez

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Coachella is awful and no lineup can change that.

I also don’t see this big improvement in the acts that people are talking about.

:rolleyes: American privilege at its finest.

Being able to see Rage, Run the Jewels, Idles, TNGHT, The Chats, Amyl & The Sniffers, Thom Yorke, Disclosure, Caribou, Hot Chip, Carly Rae, DJ Koze, Floating Points, Freddie Gibbs & Madlib, BBNG, Weyes Blood, Steve Lacy, Nilufer Yanya, Frank Ocean, Lana, FKA twigs, Lil Nas X, Denzel Curry, Alex G, Sampa all in the same fucking weekend?

I would pay $100 just to see Alex G open for Frank, so I'm not complaining about this lineup for a second.

Wilco - Ode to Joy

I really like this band, and these songs are nice but isn't it all just a bit too mid-tempo and boring? The songs aren't bad at all but they just aren't very exciting either. Seems like it could have been another Tweedy solo album. Where's the rest of the band?

Belated Happy New Year and best wishes to everyone, particularly our Aussie mates. While I haven’t been able to visit your country yet, it’s horrifying to see what’s happening over there. I just made a small donation to Wires Emergency Wildlife Relief which because of the exchange rate probably comes out to like 5 million AUD?

Hang in there, folks. Stay safe.

Wilco - Ode to Joy

I really like this band, and these songs are nice but isn't it all just a bit too mid-tempo and boring? The songs aren't bad at all but they just aren't very exciting either. Seems like it could have been another Tweedy solo album. Where's the rest of the band?

I had the same initial impression, but it has grown on me. Hearing most of these songs live gave me some more appreciation for Nels' understated presence in the album. I like his guitar work in We Were Lucky, a high point in the album really, and I think One and a Half Stars is gorgeous. I also love the arpeggios and lap steel in Love Is Everywhere (Beware). He seems to be more interested in texture, like in most of his solo work, than on a splashy solo.

I get the sense that the band has been in a good place during the Star Wars/Schmilco/Ode to Joy, which may not necessarily lead to much exploration, but there's some really good and direct songwriting in their recent output, with the occasional brilliance. It's not peak Wilco, but it's better than the Sky Blue Sky/Wilco (The Album) stretch.

Belated Happy New Year and best wishes to everyone, particularly our Aussie mates. While I haven’t been able to visit your country yet, it’s horrifying to see what’s happening over there. I just made a small donation to Wires Emergency Wildlife Relief which because of the exchange rate probably comes out to like 5 million AUD?

Hang in there, folks. Stay safe.

Thanks. It's fucking shit. I'm not directly impacted, as I live in the city, far away from the fuel that's burning across the country. But it's by a long way the worst natural disaster I have experienced, and it's being made worse by climate change, and being made even worse by having a conservative government that won't take any fucking action. All of the leadership from the governing party at a federal level has been absolutely woeful, not just during this crisis, but in the lead-up as well, cutting funding for firefighting services. In the city, we can see and smell the smoke and the haze makes it feel like hell. People with any slight lung conditions are struggling and we don't have enough masks that work to protect against the smoke. Entire towns are gone across Victoria (where I live) and New South Wales, and I'm sure you've read some half a billion animals have died, and I'm sure in the wash up there'll be a heap of species reclassified as extinct. Families have had to gather in lakes and the ocean, many towns are now without power, water or fuel. And there is misinformation spreading all over social media, which is making people even more divided and apportioning blame at the wrong people. It sucks, and is probably our new normal. Someone said that it feels like our Sandy Hook moment - if these bushfires aren't the catalyst for action, then we'll never take it - and that feels accurate. The only good thing is it is allowing for incredible demonstrations of generosity in the community, although it's fucked how many millions were raised before the government announced its recovery funding package.

Would love to hear from others on their listening habits. My strategy of the last few years - keep a list of upcoming releases with dates and listen to them one by one - doesn't work. I end up with a massive list of records I'd like to hear, which makes me feel overwhelmed. Then I either don't listen to them, or I do, but will only give them one spin or two, even when it's a record that I've enjoyed... examples from 2019 include Danny Brown, 2 Chainz, Solange, Lambchop, Weyes Blood, Anderson Paak, Tyler, Freddie Gibbs and like another 10 or 15 more at least. And then on top of that there's a bunch of old albums that go through the same cycle. The ultimate impact is that I end up feeling dissatisfied and don't fall in love with records that I might if I didn't try to listen to so damn many.

I've struggled with this too, cobbler, particularly since having a child and basically having very little time. I feel like in this last year my listening habits for new music have focused on albums by artists that I knew I liked as well as well recommended/reviewed new artists I didn't know. It's not a great method to find new artists, and I feel I've grown somewhat more disconnected from small acts, but at the same time it's not anxiety-inducing, and I've learned to control my OCD/FOMO tendencies with music.

Will be interesting to see if they can keep up the insane quality of their 2019 output

I don’t know if there is a band in their league right now in terms of longevity and ability to put out quality music for as long as they’ve been around.

Last years Zeppelin Over China, Warp and Woof and Sweating the Plague were REALLY good.

This press release is very confusing, but from what I can tell, there's new(ish) Bowie out this year, a six-track EP called "David Bowie Is It Any Wonder?", and the tracks are being released via Spotify etc on a weekly basis, featuring "unreleased and rare" tracks, the first of which is up, an alt version of The Man Who Sold the World taken from 'ChangesNowBowie', a radio broadcast from his 50th birthday in 1997. Not sure what the other five tracks will be, hoping for some unheard stuff.

And then as part of RSD a record called ChangesNowBowie will be released, but it is not that BBC broadcast, but recorded, mixed and taken from rehearsals for his 50th birthday MSG concert, which appears to be this, with seven Earthling tracks.

Parlophone to issue unreleased Bowie tracks

If I'm reading it all wrong, let me know.

This press release is very confusing, but from what I can tell, there's new(ish) Bowie out this year, a six-track EP called "David Bowie Is It Any Wonder?", and the tracks are being released via Spotify etc on a weekly basis, featuring "unreleased and rare" tracks, the first of which is up, an alt version of The Man Who Sold the World taken from 'ChangesNowBowie', a radio broadcast from his 50th birthday in 1997. Not sure what the other five tracks will be, hoping for some unheard stuff.

And then as part of RSD a record called ChangesNowBowie will be released, but it is not that BBC broadcast, but recorded, mixed and taken from rehearsals for his 50th birthday MSG concert, which appears to be this, with seven Earthling tracks.

Parlophone to issue unreleased Bowie tracks

If I'm reading it all wrong, let me know.

Your info regarding the Is It Any Wonder? release is correct. But I understand ChangesNowBowie does feature songs from that BBC broadcast. Here is the tracklisting for that one:
https://www.superdeluxeedition.com/...e-david-bowie-rsd-release-streaming-rarities/
01. The Man Who Sold The World
02. The Supermen
03. Andy Warhol
04. Repetition
05. Lady Stardust
06. White Light White Heat
07. Shopping For Girls
08. Quicksand
09. Aladdin Sane

The RSD release will be on both vinyl and CD (thankfully).

Fuck, one of the best drummers. Sad news, may he rest in peace.

Yes, this is awful news to say the least, but incredible that it took 3 days in this day and age for the information to be released. I was fortunate to be able to see Rush in Summer 2007. Neil should certainly be on the Mt. Rushmore of Rock n Roll drummers. There is no Rush without Neil Peart just like there's no Led Zeppelin without Bonzo.

Countdown to Ecstasy: great album. They're such a great band, but I really only know Aja and a couple of hits. Donald Fagen's voice is angelic, I love it, and it always floats on top of such clever, intricate, humming production. Fav songs on this album are The Boston Rag (love the dark tone of the chorus), Show Biz Kids (that swagger and bite), My Old School (a great example of their vocals and music just combining so well to create a whole better than its parts, the chorus is fucking delightful) and King of the World (I really love that wormy, quiet guitar line).

Speaking of festival lineups... 5 days ago... I'm thinking of selling a kidney to go to Bottle Rock in Napa.

My love affair began with "Stars", which has become one of my all-time favourite songs. And then I saw Nick Cave answer a fan's question on his favourite songs with "My Father", so I've been listening to Baltimore, which is fantastic.

Back
Top Bottom