Random Music CXXVI: The Woy Eet Eez

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Last time I was listening to Seventeen, Travis said it reminded him of some song, so hopefully he chimes in.

And I'll second Comeback Kid being nearly as good as Seventeen.

Foals' Holy Fire had that problem, I thought My Number was so much better than everything else, I'd actually consider skipping it so I could pay closer attention to the other tracks. There's been quite a few others too, I'll try and think of them.

There's been quite a few others too, I'll try and think of them.

I recently got the latest Hozier album, Wasteland Baby! I mainly got it because Nina Cried Power is such an incredible song. Well, I thought the other songs were not even near as good as that one. As it is also the opening track, the album really fizzles out just after the start. One of the few this year's releases that have disappointed me.

Oh hahaha I just thought of the worst one ever. How many times have I complained about it here? Rocket, by Primative Radio Gods. There's no worse album for this.

On CrasH Talk, I gave it a proper listen and don't think I'll go back to it again. Numb Numb Juice and Attention are the only two songs that I really enjoyed, that have that harder edge to them that makes Q so appealing. Nearly everything else just sounds like average rap. CHopstix is one of the worst songs I've heard in a very long time.

Can we name some albums on which one song is so far ahead of every other song on the album?

Warpaint's last album, Heads Up. New Song is miles ahead of everything else, it's not even funny. Possibly the best song of their career, certainly top five, surrounded by an album that is otherwise mostly boring.

Songs that are much better than anything else on their respective albums:

Seven Words on Weyes Blood's Front Row Seat to Earth.

Your Blue Room

Regular John on Queens of the Stone Age's s/t

Ever Again on Robyn's Honey

Bad Kingdom on Moderat's II

Cold Little Heart on Michael Kiwanuka's Love & Hate

Born to Die on Lana Del Rey's Born to Die

Running Up That Hill on Kate Bush' Hounds of Love

He's Simple, He's Dumb, He's the Pilot on Grandaddy's The Sophtware Slump

Guided by Voices have their second album of 2019 out “Warp and Woof” and it’s another cracker.
What an unexpected (somewhat), excellent return to form.
Brilliant.

With Lambchop, Bruce Hornsby and Guided by Voices it’s been a great year for old farts so far.
Makes me even more excited for the Pixies album release this year.

Lambchop.

aw, glad to hear she's doing well since shari lewis passed away. :heart:

giphy.gif

The moment the drums kick in during I Told You Everything is stellar.

Warpaint's last album, Heads Up. New Song is miles ahead of everything else, it's not even funny. Possibly the best song of their career, certainly top five, surrounded by an album that is otherwise mostly boring.
Warpaint is a big disappointment for me, looking back. I think that band had a lot of potential from a crazy talented rhythm section, but they just don't write many interesting songs.

Keep It Healthy is better than New Song. And the first track on Heads Up, Whiteout is also great so I’d have to strike that one down immediately.

And Peef, you will pay for your insolence.

I'm going to chime in with that one album My Bloody Valentine had around the start of the nineties, the one with that one track that was on all the music video shows. I think it's the closing track. It's about 10 times more interesting to me than the rest of the album combined.

Guided by Voices have their second album of 2019 out “Warp and Woof” and it’s another cracker.
What an unexpected (somewhat), excellent return to form.
Brilliant.

With Lambchop, Bruce Hornsby and Guided by Voices it’s been a great year for old farts so far.
Makes me even more excited for the Pixies album release this year.

I know, it’s insane that Robert Pollard is pulling this off. Warp and Woof is such a great album.

Keep It Healthy is better than New Song. And the first track on Heads Up, Whiteout is also great so I’d have to strike that one down immediately.

And Peef, you will pay for your insolence.

Keep It Healthy isn't on Heads Up, so.

Too much of Heads Up is aimless and meandering. Whiteout is OK but it has some of those negative qualities; it's no banger like New Song, which is tight and infectious. The "you got the moves" bit from 1:40 is one of the best passages in a Warpaint song, catchy and sexy as all hell (as so much of their best stuff is).

My first mention was your suggestion that New Song might be their best, period.

Regardless, I think it's odd that someone with your less-mainstream musical taste would chastise the band for not making shorter and catchier tracks. It's clear from listening to their body of work that mood and texture are very important to them, and when you see them performing live and going on some long jam, you see the power of their unity as musicians is their strength over any kind of compositional qualities,

I only said "possibly" best. I mean, sure, Keep It Healthy is up there. Though my top five would probably be New Song, Beetles, and three from The Fool (I'd have a hard time choosing which three).

So, the mood and texture is important to me, absolutely. It's just that I think on the first album and EP that mood and texture formed memorable songs, while their two subsequent albums have failed to scale the same heights. It's a fine line between texture and aimless noodling or just being boring. Heads Up in particular gets really dull; I struggle to listen to it in full.

Their live jamming is ace, agreed.

Last time I was listening to Seventeen, Travis said it reminded him of some song, so hopefully he chimes in.

If you could tell him, when he has time of course, to chime in, I'd be grateful, as it's fucking driving me insane.

On the subject of songs sounding like other songs, I am listening to Cuz I Love You, and the title track is literally just Oh Darling. (With a guitar break that sounds exactly like the one in She Looks Like Fun from the Arctic Monkeys album last year.) I had to go and listen to Oh Darling.

I actually can't think of a specific song Seventeen sounds like. It reminds me of the Jezabels mixed with some 80s heartland rock.

G-Em-C-D is one of the most common chord progressions in the world. Mixed with really bombastic production, it's bound to make people tear up and countless artists have used that formula.

One song that sounds a lot like Seventeen, with those chords slightly rearranged, is Rebellion (Lies). It has the same emotive gut punch.

Last edited:
Ok, in completely random nonmusic talk, I had never heard of Uluru until today. What the hell, it's incredible. How difficult would it be to visit on a trip to Australia?

Back
Top Bottom