Random Music CXXVI: The Woy Eet Eez

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I liked them, so thank you for sharing. I was just wanting them to be even better I guess, lol.

I've been listening to the Rockabye Baby lullaby albums a lot lately, and this mornings entry made me realize I like Journey a LOT more than I thought I did. :ohmy:

I have his site bookmarked. It’s probably my favourite website and certainly the only artist website actually worth reading. He is a fucking gem and we’re lucky to have him.

I have his site bookmarked. It’s probably my favourite website and certainly the only artist website actually worth reading. He is a fucking gem and we’re lucky to have him.

I don't know, the playing in an apartheid state against the wishes of others suggests otherwise ...

If anyone's looking for more info on the Janet Weiss/Sleater-Kinney situation, The Guardian just ran the band's first interview after Weiss left.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2019/jul/28/sleater-kinney-the-center-wont-hold-interview

Seems like it was her idea to bring Annie Clark in to produce in the first place. Maybe she was unsatisfied with the songs themselves or the results? In any case, it definitely feels like there were some deeper issues between the band members than just this new album's sound.

An odd twist, for sure. The telling line might be that Weiss left after they decided to work only with Clark and not multiple producers, perhaps Weiss was hoping for more of a variety of perspectives.

At any rate, at least they are continuing to insist that it was a peaceful breakup with no hard feelings. But news that Weiss will be touring concurrently with a different band raises more questions.

Bon Iver has a few new tracks out. I don't think there is another artist out there as badly in need of a stylistic change as he is. The guy never has more than a 5% deviation in BPM.

Then there's the new Angel Olsen song, which is genuinely spellbinding.

The new Angel Olsen is fantastic. Definitely getting some Bjork/Kate Bush/Florence vibes, but heavy, resigned sadness that she pulls off best. Those strings!

damn, i really wish the new chance the rapper album didn't suck so much. :(

0Z99f9Q.jpg

[TWEET]1155054583799898113[/TWEET]

That is ... very funny, but inaccurate musically. And he doesn't do any of the scatting. I was pretty underwhelmed on first listen sadly, not sure if I can go back to it. I thought Colouring Book was very good, but a step down from the GOAT, Acid Rap.

0Z99f9Q.jpg

[TWEET]1155054583799898113[/TWEET]

yeah, pretty much.

That is ... very funny, but inaccurate musically. And he doesn't do any of the scatting. I was pretty underwhelmed on first listen sadly, not sure if I can go back to it. I thought Colouring Book was very good, but a step down from the GOAT, Acid Rap.

lol that parody is basically spot-on dude, even chance essentially admitted it by retweeting some of the lyrics from that meme. i think "underwhelming" is a bit of an understatement - i wanted SO badly for this to be really good. i thought coloring book was a step back from acid rap too and was hoping for a comeback but this was the opposite. there are maybe 2 or 3 decent tracks on there (the one with the singer from death cab for cutie was probably the best song) but the rest is just boring or flat-out awful (hot shower is the worst thing he's ever done, by far). the fact that there's 22 tracks and almost two hours is absurd. it's like chance surrounded himself with yes-men and nobody had the balls to tell him that it might be getting out of hand. if 2019 nicki minaj is absolutely bodying you *twice* on your own album (including the very last verse of the whole thing), you may have a problem.

one comment i read on reddit said it pretty well: on ultralight beam (which i think is his absolute peak) he rapped "met kanye west, i'm never gonna fail" and it seems like he took that line a little bit too literally.

i had such high hopes for this dude - for someone with "the rapper" literally in his name, who was so close to being on that kendrick/travis scott/pusha t level after ultralight beam, deciding he'd rather write jingles for kit-kat commercials and shill for doritos with the backstreet boys than put effort into his actual music is disappointing to say the least, especially after all the posturing in his early career about giving away his music for free and committing to stay independent.

whatever though, hip hop fans might rightfully trash this clunker but soccer moms and youth pastors are still going to eat this shit up and make chance even richer than he already is, so i doubt he cares all that much about our opinions. this thing makes coloring book sound like illmatic but it's still going to make so much money that i doubt it will give chance much reason to put in more effort next time around. oh well, we'll always have acid rap.

Last edited:
There's an artist I discovered a couple of years ago before I was going to a gothy festival that I got really into, called Drab Majesty. His new record is just wonderful:

Their aesthetic, however, as you will see from the album cover, is fucking absurd. When I saw them a few years ago they performed looking like this:

maxresdefault.jpg

Ha I literally just heard Drab Majesty for the first time yesterday. There's a new wave SLC radio station that does a "Newer New Wave" show on Thursday nights and they played "Dot In the Sky" so I checked them out further on Spotify. Right up my alley music taste wise. He's playing here in a few weeks.

How the hell did I forget to post here for over a month.

So, hey folks, hope you're all going well. My top Kiwi recommendation for the year: Repulsive Woman. The title track of her album is spellbinding, "Relief". Hatchie's album Keepsake has some good dream pop, with emphasis on pop, though I don't think it quite achieves her potential. New Russian Circles album is good without breaking new ground; basically if you like Russian Circles you will like this. I keep meaning to get around to that Drab Majesty album, but if you want some good very self-consciously gothic stuff then don't go past TR/ST. The new Haelos album, though, was an absolute letdown. New singles by Hundredth and Mermaidens are both really promising so I hope their albums do not disappoint.

Still my favourites for the year are The End of the Ocean, Health, and Westkust.

Back
Top Bottom