Random Music CXXV: Least necessary thread edition

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
To be more positive, now that I have FINALLY got a good sound setup with my Sonos Play 5 and my Audio Technica AT LP120 as well as all my CDs and vinyls nicely presented in shelves, I'm finally making good on listening to albums I bought a long time ago that I've never listened to. So I span Magical Mystery Tour, which I reckon I bought on one of my America trips, maybe even the first one in 2010.

It's so good! I knew four of the songs on Side B going in, I don't think I'd heard Penny Lane before, and I Am the Walrus. Fool on the Hill is gorgeous, so lovely, and Flying and Blue Jay Way are so interesting, quite different for them I feel... I don't think I can name another Beatles instrumental. Both tracks are so psychedelic and you can hear these influences in a lot of places in modern indie rock, pretty amazing so many years down the line. Blue Jay Way reminded me of being at a music festival and having my bad acid trip, lyrics and music. I find Strawberry Fields a touch overrated, great song, but not in the 0.00000001% best ever I don't think. Hello Goodbye is just lovely, Baby You're a Rich Man is a banger and All You Need is Love is All You Need is Love. The biggest surprise was Penny Lane though, wow, what a wonderful song, the chorus is just gorgeous.

You'd never heard Penny Lane before? Damn. That's sad, but also what a great day for you!

Strawberry Fields Forever/Penny Lane is probably the greatest single of all time. SFF is, on most days, my favorite song and Penny Lane would land top 50 or so.

Magical Mystery Tour, pound for pound, is probably the best 45 minutes you could spend listening to a legit, packaged Beatles release (As much as I love Revs).

Yes it’s an EP from a dorky film with a smattering of singles on Side B, but what a glorious smattering it is.

Can’t believe you’d never heard Penny Lane before [emoji50] surely you must’ve recognised it?

I've made a resolution this year to hate-read/watch less, which I think is a really good move, but I couldn't help but click on that. Laz it will make you so angry, particularly when you keep reading and see the pic. It is one of the most ignorant, tone-deaf websites I've ever come across. And these arseholes. Firstly, kombucha is the biggest load of shit on the planet, I had one sip of one once and nearly threw up, and will never touch it again. And of course it's become the biggest fucking 'health' trend for hippie wankers. And is just a sign of capitalism. And so these pricks have gone hmm how do we differentiate ourselves in a crowded market, I know, let's take an instrument and symbol of the oldest living culture on the planet that we know nothing about play it near our drinks ~~~~cos vibrations~~~~~ so we can make our drinks $2 more expensive and get fuckwits with ridiculous disposable incomes to buy them and get an even bigger wanker ignorant American journo who also has no idea what an Aboriginal Australian person looks like to write about it. Fuck, it just made me so goddamn mad.

YES to all of this.

Strawberry Fields Forever/Penny Lane is probably the greatest single of all time. SFF is, on most days, my favorite song and Penny Lane would land top 50 or so.

I think SFF is Lennon's greatest work (and not overrated at all, when you understand all the work put into it, and how ahead of its time it was), and therefore the best thing The Beatles committed to tape. However, I might give the edge overall to Hey Jude/Revolution, because Revolution is very high up on my list (like Top 5) and Hey Jude is way ahead of Penny Lane for me.

All four songs are fantastic, though.

Also, Friggin' Cobbler.

Last edited:
I think SFF is Lennon's greatest work (and not overrated at all, when you understand all the work put into it, and how ahead of its time it was), and therefore the best thing The Beatles committed to tape. However, I might give the edge overall to Hey Jude/Revolution, because Revolution is very high up on my list (like Top 5) and Hey Jude is way ahead of Penny Lane for me.

Also, Friggin' Cobbler.
Whenever Hey Jude starts, I roll my eyes a bit and think to myself "Ugh, it's Hey Jude. I don't need to hear this again." But by the time the "NAAAAAA NAA NAA NA NA NA NAAAAAAAAAA" outro kicks in, I'm enraptured all over again.

If nothing else, the last few minutes of that song are some of the best singalong pop ever recorded.

You'd never heard Penny Lane before? Damn. That's sad, but also what a great day for you!

Magical Mystery Tour, pound for pound, is probably the best 45 minutes you could spend listening to a legit, packaged Beatles release (As much as I love Revs).

Yes it’s an EP from a dorky film with a smattering of singles on Side B, but what a glorious smattering it is.

Can’t believe you’d never heard Penny Lane before [emoji50] surely you must’ve recognised it?

I mean I have probably heard it before, I'm guessing it's unlikely that I wouldn't have, but certainly didn't 'know it', if that makes sense.

Also, Friggin' Cobbler.

I will look into the story behind it all in the coming days, and I'm sure hearing it in 1967 it would have sounded revolutionary.

Whenever Hey Jude starts, I roll my eyes a bit and think to myself "Ugh, it's Hey Jude. I don't need to hear this again." But by the time the "NAAAAAA NAA NAA NA NA NA NAAAAAAAAAA" outro kicks in, I'm enraptured all over again.

If nothing else, the last few minutes of that song are some of the best singalong pop ever recorded.

Hey Jude is something else, hey. Paul McCartney toured here late last year and I couldn't go... I think I'll probably regret that forever. Doing Hey Jude like that would have been sensational.

An underrated Bowie song that also fits a similar style that I LOOOOVE:

You know, if you didn't like the Beatles or were just a casual fan I could understand not really knowing Penny Lane. But you are clearly a fan... How did you manage that?

I think because I'm not an obsessive. I bought and listened a lot to Sgt Peppers, White Album, Abbey Road, and then a little less so Rubber Soul and Revolver. I've not listened to any other Beatles albums, have never read books or watched docos or poured over the Anthology releases, not seen their movies. Radio/TV/movies have only ever really played a smattering of Beatles stuff, and Penny Lane is low on the pecking order. So I think that's how.

Definitely a classic friggin moment tho.

i guess prior to the online streaming era you really had to own past masters or 1 (or a copy of the original single i guess) to hear the song outside of the magical mystery tour album. it's not like it gets played on the radio often. i heard it a bunch of times as a little kid by virtue of my mean old kindergarten babysitter playing past masters almost daily as background music during breakfast but probably didn't hear it again between the ages of six and at least 20.

Penny Lane isn’t on Past Masters. Maybe you’re thinking of the “Blue/Red” compilation?

Cobbler, I highly recommend watching the Anthology doc, but if you don’t feel like making time for that there’s an older, shorter one called The Compleat Beatles that was very instrumental in my becoming a big fan (that and the book Beatlesongs). It’s feature length, and they have it split into small parts on YouTube:

I've made a resolution this year to hate-read/watch less, which I think is a really good move, but I couldn't help but click on that. Laz it will make you so angry, particularly when you keep reading and see the pic. It is one of the most ignorant, tone-deaf websites I've ever come across. And these arseholes. Firstly, kombucha is the biggest load of shit on the planet, I had one sip of one once and nearly threw up, and will never touch it again. And of course it's become the biggest fucking 'health' trend for hippie wankers. And is just a sign of capitalism. And so these pricks have gone hmm how do we differentiate ourselves in a crowded market, I know, let's take an instrument and symbol of the oldest living culture on the planet that we know nothing about play it near our drinks ~~~~cos vibrations~~~~~ so we can make our drinks $2 more expensive and get fuckwits with ridiculous disposable incomes to buy them and get an even bigger wanker ignorant American journo who also has no idea what an Aboriginal Australian person looks like to write about it. Fuck, it just made me so goddamn mad.

its so interesting that kombucha that you dumbass white people think isnt identical to actual kombucha

I definitely heard Penny Lane a lot on the radio when I was a kid, but I’ve also learned since then that my oldies station in NY was not a typical radio station.

Fuck the hipster kombucha then. That stuff is gross.

I'm still dumbfounded at people leaving during Eight Days a Week screenings as the Shea Stadium footage was starting.

Good lord I can't handle the unironic hipster cultural insensitivity wank-homeopathy in that article

All this Beatles talk is making me nostalgic for the Beatoffs threads around the 2009 remaster releases.

Some primo stuff there to rival the best of Shuttlecock.

Penny Lane isn’t on Past Masters. Maybe you’re thinking of the “Blue/Red” compilation?

Cobbler, I highly recommend watching the Anthology doc, but if you don’t feel like making time for that there’s an older, shorter one called The Compleat Beatles that was very instrumental in my becoming a big fan (that and the book Beatlesongs). It’s feature length, and they have it split into small parts on YouTube:

maybe? i could have sworn it was past masters that she constantly played based on the tracks i remember hearing then, but i was also 5-6 years old at the time. my dad had the blue/red compilation at the same time and i remember looking at john on the covers and finding the difference hilarious. i don't remember that album cover at the babysitter's, but i remember without a doubt hearing penny lane again and again. and that lady was way too cranky and mean (think of the teacher's wife from "the wall" but with weirdly great taste in 60s pop) to ever put on the magical mystery tour album so it couldn't have been that.

:shrug:

I watched the Anthology doco as a 10 year old and that got me hooked on the Beatles and everything about them - it’s both tells and sells the Beatles story so well. Watched the VHS recording of it many times after that.

Couple of years I bought the full Anthology on DVD - like 8 discs or something. Loved every second of it.

Anthology is recommended for any music fan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom