Random Music CXXV: Least necessary thread edition

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What about Steely Dan possibly screams MRA who thinks women are the root of all problems? I can think of many, many worse artists.

Also, you know what is funny? People who are music snobs. I'm one of them, sure, but a bloke at work nearly had an apoplectic fit the other night when my partner told him she had never listened to an album by The Beatles and had no interest in ever doing so.

I think it is incredibly bizarre that a 14 year-old has Steely Dan as favorite band in this day and age. As an adult, fine. But how the hell does an adolescent even come across them?

I think it is incredibly bizarre that a 14 year-old has Steely Dan as favorite band in this day and age. As an adult, fine. But how the hell does an adolescent even come across them?

Pretty easily I would imagine if his parents are into music that was released when they were younger and still play it?

steely dan is groovy af and is exactly the perfect kind of music to put on in the background when you and your sexiest person start to get funky.

there is precisely zero chance that a teen who has them as their favourite band grows up to be an incel.

Man you all see something in that band I apparently will never see. I can scarcely think of less desirable sex music than Steely Dan.

I'm not saying their music is sexy but kids who are into The Chainsmoker are thousands of times more likely to grow up incels than kids into Steely Dan.

Steely Dan was my favorite band at age 9 because my dad played Aja all the time and had tapes lying around with songs from the first five albums. Eventually, U2 took the top spot, at least for a while.

Do MRA types listen to classic rock anyway? I thought a lot of them were spiteful 30-somethings. Seems more like Radiohead territory.

Last edited:
I am not sure they're intelligent enough to listen to Radiohead and really get it, though I don't doubt Radiohead has produced more than their fair share of over-entitled disaffected young men. Hell hath no fury quite like a man who likes Radiohead who has just been told by a girl that she doesn't think they're that great.

YOU'RE SO FUCKING SPECIAL

I'M A CREEEEEP

I'M A WEIRDO

WHAT THE HELL AM I DOING HEEEERRREEE

flat,550x550,075,f.u7.jpg

I knew about them when I was a little kid, because my dad worked at radio stations where he played them, and he liked their music as well and would play it around the house.

My partner has a 14 year-old nephew whose favorite band is Steely Dan. I say that's pretty good evidence he will grow up to be an incel, but she disagrees. I still think I'm right.

If it were Rush I would be 100% with you.

I haven't listened to enough Steely Dan to have an opinion. Listened to two albums (Aja, forget the other) that bored the socks off me when I was 18. Then again, given the shit I listened to back then, maybe I should give them another go.

Do MRA types listen to classic rock anyway? I thought a lot of them were spiteful 30-somethings. Seems more like Radiohead territory.

Can guarantee every incel likes Radiohead and Tool.

Also, you know what is funny? People who are music snobs. I'm one of them, sure, but a bloke at work nearly had an apoplectic fit the other night when my partner told him she had never listened to an album by The Beatles and had no interest in ever doing so.

Your girlfriend is definitely the better half of this couple.

sure you're right, but that venn diagram probably needs a magnifying glass to see the individual circles.

I think it's more an "every incel is an MRA but not every MRA is an incel" sort of deal. The other part of the MRA circle contains the PUA territory, and at least some of them are apparently getting laid.

My partner has a 14 year-old nephew whose favorite band is Steely Dan. I say that's pretty good evidence he will grow up to be an incel, but she disagrees. I still think I'm right.
This is the worst post I've ever read on Interference and that's saying a lot.

Someone should make a thread about artists that could potentially turn someone into an incel.

First one to say U2 wins a prize.

Last edited:
Until tonight I hadn't listened to LA Woman since I moved to LA and that was a big mistake on my part

Fuck, this song is good

Saw a screening of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars tonight. The Width of a Circle is intense.

holy shit, Anderson Paak is insanely good live. I'd seen him at festivals before but man if he comes to your town with his band, buy beg steal, it's unmissable.

To everyone saying they were aware of Steely Dan as a kid, I imagine most if not all of our parents are Boomers, and we were exposed to a radio station that played Zeppelin, Queen, Van Halen, and maybe a few others on an infinite loop. I don't see that being the case for kids with Gen-X or Millennial parents. You'd have to go out and really look for a band like Steely Dan.

cobl04 said:

3737514.jpg

Until tonight I hadn't listened to LA Woman since I moved to LA and that was a big mistake on my part

Fuck, this song is good

Yeah, they’re an easy band to make fun of and I know why so many dislike them, but it’s hard to deny the quality of that track. Their best and it’s not even close.

They were one of the greatest ever from about 1965 to 1972. Outside of that range, the filler starts to pile up badly. They were never an album band beyond a handful of exceptions, but most albums during their heyday have enough idiosyncratic charms to make them worth a full listen.

Today!
Pet Sounds
Smile Sessions (2011)
Smiley Smile
Wild Honey
Friends
Sunflower
Surf's Up
Love You

Are all worth hearing all the way through at least once.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom