Random Music CXXV: Least necessary thread edition

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why?

MBDTF, Kaputt, American Dream, Blackstar, Bon Iver, Bon Iver, To Pimp a Butterfly, Romance is Boring, Trouble Will Find Me, would be right up there off the top of my head.

No females. :/

You misogynist piece of shit.

If I just think of my #1s of the year it gets easier:

Romance is Boring
MBDTF
Rihanna - Anti
FJM - Honeybear
Cat Power - Sun
M83 - Hurry Up, We're Dreaming
LCD - This Is Happening
Janelle Monae - Dirty Computer
SZA - ctrl
La Femme - Mystere

Not that they're set in stone but it's a good starting point.

If I wasn't limiting myself to 1 per artist I'd probably have LC! No Blues on there as well. Other contenders:

CRJ - Emotion
Yo La Tengo - Popular Songs
Stricken City - Losing Colour
Passion Pit - Gossamer

Their 5th album?

Pretty sure that qualifies as Cobblering it.

Given their more recent albums are the better ones, people should start there. Depression Cherry is a great introduction to the band.

Also, for anyone wondering re: my situation in Norway, I arrived back in Australia this morning and I am recovering well. The long-haul flights were not as exhausting as I feared, though my travel insurance stumping up for business class sure helped.

It wasn't quite the Norwegian holiday I planned. But hey, now I should start a black metal band and claim all the music was revealed to me in the coma. My voice at the moment is still a bit fucked from the tube they put down my throat (yes, yes, Lance's mum gags write themselves here) so I can probably do some solid tortured metal vocals.

Also, for anyone wondering re: my situation in Norway, I arrived back in Australia this morning and I am recovering well. The long-haul flights were not as exhausting as I feared, though my travel insurance stumping up for business class sure helped.

It wasn't quite the Norwegian holiday I planned. But hey, now I should start a black metal band and claim all the music was revealed to me in the coma. My voice at the moment is still a bit fucked from the tube they put down my throat (yes, yes, Lance's mum gags write themselves here) so I can probably do some solid tortured metal vocals.

This is the kind of prime content we don’t get enough of anymore.

Good to hear you’re on the mend.

Fuck him, he supports a shit footy team.

Apparently one of the very few times I reacted to things around me while in the coma was when my mate (a Melburnian who recently moved to Stavanger, the main reason I was in Norway) made a quip about the New Zealand cricket team and I smirked.

For the record I remember exactly nothing from my time comatose except the colour red.

Glad to hear, Ax. Hope your recovery continues to be a smooth one.

Glad you’re home, Ax. And thanks for sharing. It’s not every day you get to hear what it’s like to be in a coma.

Axver in a coma, I know, I know, it's serious

But seriously, glad you're doing better man

Last edited:
is prince the most underappreciated guitarist?

I’m leaning toward no since he’s usually up there toward the top of every underrated/under appreciated list I’ve ever seen. It’s hard to be underrated and under appreciated when everyone is doing all that rating and appreciating.

Glad to hear you're doing better Ax.

I went through my votes on a certain music website to see which albums should rank at the top of my list. I only gave two albums of this decade 5*: Good Kid Maad City and My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy.

There are a lot of albums that Ie given 4,5* though. Going through them quickly I say the following would currently make it:
Tomorrow's Modern Harvest
Like Clockwork
Trouble Will Find Me
To Pimp a Butterfly
Carrie & Lowell
Helplessness Blues
Cardinal
b'lieve i'm goin' down

I only gave out seven 5 star ratings this decade:

My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy
The Idler Wheel
Good Kid, Maad City
To Pimp a Butterfly
Black Messiah
Lonerism
Carrie & Lowell

Around sixty or seventy 4.5s though, so that will be quite a bit to sort through.

is prince the most underappreciated guitarist?

I’m leaning toward no since he’s usually up there toward the top of every underrated/under appreciated list I’ve ever seen. It’s hard to be underrated and under appreciated when everyone is doing all that rating and appreciating.

He definitely used to be like 10 years ago. I think enough people have seen the infamous Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame clip with him soloing during While My Guitar Gently Weeps by this point, and since he died there have been a lot more reevaluations of his career, with attention paid to his guitar prowess. I have friends who weren't that familiar with his music beyond a surface level/didn't see him live until much later in his career and really had no idea what he was capable of.

However, he's still underrated in the sense that the only player who rightfully should be ranked above him is Hendrix, and Jimi's short life means that he has nowhere near the body of work. I've heard no one with the versatility of Prince in terms of style who can also shred on that level.

You can name the band Norwegian Coma or The Norway Near Death Experience (and your stage name could be Oslo Comatose).

Glad you're on the upswing.

Last edited:
Anyone from SoCal used Bob Hope/Burbank Airport before? How is it?

I'm from Nevada but I've used that airport twice in the past six months to see shows in LA (The National, boygenius) and I love that airport.

I only fly Southwest so that's the terminal I'm familiar with. There are a couple of small restaurants and bars.

It's fun that there aren't any jet ways and you get to use stairs to board the planes.

Best album of the decade (so far) by a landslide and then some is Joanna Newsom’s Divers

I'm from Nevada but I've used that airport twice in the past six months to see shows in LA (The National, boygenius) and I love that airport.

I only fly Southwest so that's the terminal I'm familiar with. There are a couple of small restaurants and bars.

It's fun that there aren't any jet ways and you get to use stairs to board the planes.

Cool. Thanks.
We're flying Southwest. Couldn't beat the fare and avoiding the craziness of LAX is a plus.

Cheers everyone. Remember, in future, don't make a cocktail from pneumonia and asthma.

I only gave out seven 5 star ratings this decade:

My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy
The Idler Wheel
Good Kid, Maad City
To Pimp a Butterfly
Black Messiah
Lonerism
Carrie & Lowell

Around sixty or seventy 4.5s though, so that will be quite a bit to sort through.

Similar numbers for me - 7 five-star ratings and about seventy 4.5s. Probably a few more to be bumped up to five though, as I'm quite slow to move things to the top rating. The current ones:

Alcest: Écailles de lune
Alcest: Shelter (this will be the winner in a one-album-per-artist scenario)
Caspian: Waking Season
Cult of Luna and Julie Christmas: Mariner
Film School: Fission
The Hotelier: Home, Like Noplace Is There
Purity Ring: Another Eternity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom