random australian music bitchfest #93392435.43

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kieran McConville

ONE love, blood, life
Remember that episode of The Sopranos where Adrianna tries to get into the music management business, and pitches her old boyfriend's band 'Defiler' to Christopher? They used to be cock rock but now after he got hit by lightning the dude is real sensitive and emotive.

Yeah, yeah, yeaaaaaaaaaah....

That's what the new Vance Fukkah Joy song reminds me of.

I wouldn't say 'subjecting'... it's more like, shit happens. For example, why do you subject yourself to idiotic comments people tangentially connected to you make on, I dunno, Facebook? Shit happens.

I can't, for the life of me, see what's so bothersome about "Riptide". It's pretty generic, for the bile you all piled on it.

I can't, for the life of me, see what's so bothersome about "Riptide". It's pretty generic, for the bile you all piled on it.

In fairness to this though, I think in the local context particularly, there was a straw-that-breaks-the-camels-back quality to the genericness of this one. It was just like, too much, man. We've had years of this sort of tripe passed off as 'great indie music'.

Honestly, the song itself, I don't have a huge issue with. It's not a great song, but it's really not a "bad" song, either. It's just okay.

It's the love for it that has sent me into fits of rage. It's completely unoriginal, it follows the same formula made annoyingly famous by the likes of Jason Mraz, Train, Mumford & Sons, etc. More than 100,000 people voted it as the BEST song of 2013. It just isn't that fucking good. Even Royals would have been a far more deserving winner. And now, on the back of that ONE song, he has a five-album deal with Atlantic and the two or three songs from his new album sound almost exactly the same as Riptide.

I hate it because one day, for example, Los Campesinos! will have to break up due to it not being sustainable, and they will be forgotten by all but a small handful, and someone like Vance Joy will continue strumming a ukelele, singing vapidly about girls, and he will make millions and millions of dollars.

I know this is how popular music works but I'm not going to stop whinging about it.

Anyway it's probably not the whole story of how popular music works. After all, Nick Cave has a career. Just to pluck one example out of the air.

Yeah it's the ubiquity and the mindboggling success of Vance Joy with his wallpaper that underpins the vitriol. The song's entirely pedestrian and I don't find it offensive, but how the fuck did he pick up a five album deal off the back of that?!

Thank goodness for this woman

courtney-barnett-660x554.jpg

Seriously, I can name a hundred Aussie bands who deserve a five record deal sooner than Vance fucking Joy, all bands who would produce far more interesting and diverse work over those five albums than the predictable strummy folksy unoriginal tripe Joy is sure to dispense.

(I really hope that one day somebody can link me back to this and say "god you were so wrong" after his third album is an abrupt turn into experimental hip hop or atmospheric black metal or free jazz or something but I'm not holding my breath.)

Yeah, I can understand that. Five albums is an insanely good deal off of one song.

I just was surprised when I heard it for the first time. Just seemed like generic pop. But the thing is, what's generic to me is what's popular to everyone else, so I realize that's probably what sells records, thus 5 album deal.

I do, fwiw, enjoy the song now. Found it boring at first, but I find the lyrics to be goofy enough in the right direction to make the rest of the song worthwhile. And at least it's a ukelele this time, instead of a banjo.

Seriously, I can name a hundred Aussie bands who deserve a five record deal sooner than Vance fucking Joy, all bands who would produce far more interesting and diverse work over those five albums than the predictable strummy folksy unoriginal tripe Joy is sure to dispense.

(I really hope that one day somebody can link me back to this and say "god you were so wrong" after his third album is an abrupt turn into experimental hip hop or atmospheric black metal or free jazz or something but I'm not holding my breath.)

He might team up with Rick Rubin like Angus & Julia Stone did. World, look out... or not.

Vance Joy To Record With Brian Eno, Scrawl 'Slave' Across Own Face In Marker Pen

"Mr Slave" To Be Artist's New Moniker

A message I was just sent on Tinder:

"Um well today I've been listening to jack johnson and ben harper. Generally I'm a folky fan, especially australian stuff. But I also like black keys and alt-j, and kinda indie feel good stuff. I'm a mixed bag.

What about yourself?"

BLOCK AND DELETE

I love how young folks nowadays want 'feel good kinda stuff'. Sorry, kinda indie feel good stuff. I want feel bad stuff.

What the hell is Tinder?

Ben Harper is an issue - but they don't seem to be pigeonholing themselves into any particular sound. Not worthy of a blockage. Maybe they just aren't a music fan and it should never be a prerequisite to go on a date with someone,

Sent from a barge floating through the docks of Dublin

Ben Harper is great. An excellent live performer. Fight for Your Mind is a really, really good record.

Back
Top Bottom