Radiohead: The King of Limbs, Continued

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems as though KoL is going to be the album this year that is fashionable to dismiss or despise. For example, Spin does not have it among the top twenty-five albums of 2011, but things like Born This Way and the Smith Westerns are on the list. I like Dye It Blonde, and it certainly is catchy and energetic, but it is also repetitive and highly derivative. I just don't see how that is considered superior to a subtle, variegated album like KoL. Why I care at all about this, I do not know.

It seems as though KoL is going to be the album this year that is fashionable to dismiss or despise. For example, Spin does not have it among the top twenty-five albums of 2011, but things like Born This Way and the Smith Westerns are on the list.

things like Born This Way

Born This Way
Are_You_Fucking_Kidding_Me_HD_by_CrusierPL.png

Don't get me wrong, Born This Way is fun pop music, and I love "Marry The Night"...but album-of-the-year material? Over Radiohead? Nope.

I listened to it again yesterday... it's fairly high up on my list of albums this year, but I don't love it all that much. Would have struggled to slip into my top ten from last year. Love Separator, Give up the Ghost, Codex, Bloom and Lotus Flower though.

Give up the Ghost is a lovely song, and so is Codex. Morning Mr Magpie is alright too. For the album as a whole, 'are you fucking kidding me' would summarise my reaction, and I don't care who it's being compared with.

That said, Radiohead clearly don't care at this point. TKOL isn't really an album as such. It's a bunch of tracks that got released in between Harry Patch/These Are My Twisted Words and The Butcher/Supercollider/The Staircase.

I won't fault them for productivity.

Yeah, let's close the picture lyric random circlejerk Radiohead thing after five years. Awesome idea.

6 years actually. If that's necessary, why hasn't the random thread been closed? Whole lotta talk about bands mentioned in other threads there.

Again, there are counless new threads made for bands who already have threads that never get closed, so I still don't understand the need. That thread was not a Radiohead discussion thread. I guess banned members should never be named. Anyways, I'm just bugged because it was a 6 year old thread that was one of the much more unique threads to have been in this place. I was happy to see it bumped, even though most of the original posts have had their pictures long since brought down. Brought back a lot of fun memories.

there's a great big sook when a band is discussed in the random thread when said band already has a dedicated thread when it suits, but when a thread with no posts since 2009 gets closed, you'll complain as well?

what do you want anyway?

no doubt this post will be torn to shreds for whatever reason you've got, but good for you.

Give Up the Ghost is the one song that annoys me on the album. I was hoping they'd drop the incredibly repetitive looped vocals from live version. They did not.

I think that that's how it's always been played. But I guess that "Videotape" made quite the live transition, over the years.

"Give Up the Ghost" remains one of the band's most beautiful, gracious songs, for my taste. And it seems like all the KoL tracks are translating far better live than I expected.

If anybody has had trouble finding a copy of "Supercollider"/"The Butcher," he/she should know that Chicago's own Reckless Records is fucking swimming in the damn things. Heaps of them at all three locations. They do mail order.

Does anbody know when they'll be touring? The last 2 times they came to Ohio I've been unable to attend. In 2003 I was poor, and in 2008 it was 2 days after my wedding. So basically, nothing is going to stop me this time, unless they come around when my son is born in September (probably). I MUST SEE RADIOHEAD LIVE!

Big thank you to u2popmofo for sending me quite the voluminous list of tunes to get a hold of. I bought the bulk of them today, so, it's almost like having 2 new Radiohead albums to listen to tomorrow at work. Very excited.

Thanks!

If you don't have "Rabbit in Your Headlights", an UNKLE song co-written and sung by Thom, you should definitely get that. I have a playlist of RH b-sides, covers, miscellaneous stuff, and was listening to it on the plane Friday. Rabbit followed by A Reminder and The Amazing Sounds of Orgy was a fantastic listening experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom