Radiohead: The King of Limbs, Continued

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, listening again, Supercollider and The Butcher still sound firmly like b-side material (though for a band like Radiohead, b-side is at least equal to most other's a-sides, etc) but Staircase is very quickly growing on me. Great stuff. Still wouldn't change a single measure of the LP though.

Add in These are My Twisted Words, and you have 4 songs better than anything on the album.

Ugh, no. Twisted Words was part of that depressing "harry patch" they had between the two records that almost made me doubt the band. Such an overlong, unspectacular song. I would rather it be on the album than Feral, but that's about it.

Also, yes, tracks 5-8 of Limbs is one of the best stretches of music this year.

They should have had the balls to just call it an EP (like they've repeatedly said they were going to release in the past), and I'm sure the vast majority of complaints wouldn't exist. I guess they wanted that extra $3 or $4 per unit sold. Despite that I like the album, I too have a hard time thinking any of it is really A-side material, which is why it's been quite easy to think every other song from the sessions they've released is just as good (if not better, considering it wasn't given as much "importance" as making it on the album). There are numerous other b-sides from other eras I'd still take over anything they've released this year. Album wise, I'd take everything over it. Probably even Pablo Honey.

Ugh, no. Twisted Words was part of that depressing "harry patch" they had between the two records that almost made me doubt the band. Such an overlong, unspectacular song. I would rather it be on the album than Feral, but that's about it.

Also, yes, tracks 5-8 of Limbs is one of the best stretches of music this year.

If you say so.

Ugh, no. Twisted Words was part of that depressing "harry patch" they had between the two records that almost made me doubt the band. Such an overlong, unspectacular song.

Didn't make me doubt the band but I otherwise agree about Twisted Words. Hairy patch indeed. :wink:

It's easily one of my favorite songs from anything we've received from them over the course of the last two albums. :shrug:

We'd go nuts at least. I don't think your average U2 fan would ever hear of it. When I can go to a U2 show and watch people around me sit down for about 30 to 40% of the songs with a "I have no idea what this is" look on their faces, I sorta realized why the band does what they do.
Throwing a bone to the hardcore fanbase once in a while doesn't do you any harm

Add in These are My Twisted Words, and you have 4 songs better than anything on the album.

I think that the recent output is about feeling rather than "better" or "worse." The tracks that have come from the KoL sessions thus far have struck me as incredibly consistent, and, though I might prefer something like Supercollider over Magpie in terms of a stand-alone song, Magpie seems to function more smoothly within the scope of the album. The only change that I personally would make to KoL at this point is replacing Feral with The Butcher.

I'll go out on a LIMB omg and say King of Limbs has probably settled in as my favorite of RH's albums.

The more people doubt and criticize, the deeper Lance digs into the trench. Now it's Radiohead's best album? Wow.

I think the consensus on Feral being crap is one of the mote overwhelming consensuses we've had with this band in a while.

LemonMelon said:
Ugh, no. Twisted Words was part of that depressing "harry patch" they had between the two records that almost made me doubt the band. Such an overlong, unspectacular song.

I concur, I never wanna listen to the song. Doesn't excite me at all.

Bloom is most thrilling. I adore it. It's that, Codex and Lotus Flower that make King o' Limbs an exceptional listen for me.

cobl04 said:
Pablo Honey and Amnesiac are the only albums I don't like more than King of Limbs.

Amnesiac oscillates for my top spot. Come on, Ty Cobbler.

The more people doubt and criticize, the deeper Lance digs into the trench. Now it's Radiohead's best album? Wow.

I think the consensus on Feral being crap is one of the mote overwhelming consensuses we've had with this band in a while.

:shrug: It's an opinion I was wrestling with only shortly after its release, but I know people around here tend to flip their shit even more at extreme reactions closer out of the gate. It's not exactly a personal revelation. At the very least I think it's their most consistent, sonically profound production, and there's not a single moment on the album I don't really like, which I can't even say about Amnesiac which I'll admit still has higher peaks (I think "Knives Out" is an outright stinker, though... the one blemish on an otherwise masterful album).

Also, I don't really subscribe to "bests" in any form of art or entertainment, as it's a bit of an arrogant ascription of quality to a subjective reaction to artistic expression. So yeah, the most I could ever say is that this album is the one that resonates and "gives" the most to me personally. But by all means we can roll with the notion that I'm a pure contrarian. I haven't really been doing enough lately to up my sustain my snobbery.

We'd go nuts at least. I don't think your average U2 fan would ever hear of it. When I can go to a U2 show and watch people around me sit down for about 30 to 40% of the songs with a "I have no idea what this is" look on their faces, I sorta realized why the band does what they do.
This. Probably why whenever I go to a U2 show I almost always end up thinking 'Christ, I hate U2 fans.'

As for Radiohead, I'm starting to doubt they'll produce anything again that's up to the quality level of 'Hail to the Thief,' much less The Bends/OK Computer/Kid A. (I did finally get around to hearing 'Supercollider' which I'll admit was pretty good)

It bugs me to no end to have tracks in iTunes with no cover art, so I made this:

staircase2.jpg

I was briefly exciting thinking the studio version of the song was available on iTunes. Curse you, Danny Boy. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom