Radiohead: The King of Limbs, Continued

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, u2pm. I'm on several panels for this year's JET interviews, this week. Cannot wait to reject every single interviewee. Gonna be a real good time.

This shit didn't get the Best New Music tag. I fucking guarantee that when they put up their year-end top albums list, this shit comes in higher than a bunch of the albums they did give the BNM tag to.

It's gonna be some backtracking revisionist shit. Watch.

This is an album that is going to age well, if anything. They give it a 7.9, but then it will show up at like #11 or 12 on their albums of the year list.

Watch. Mark it 8, dude. This is not 'nam. This is bowling. There are rules.

Not that any of that matters at all, but I bet I'm right. Just sort of thinking out loud here on this Sunday afternoon.

I love Feral, and I wish there were more songs like it on KOL. The short Burial style manipulated vocal is great, and when the bass comes in...watch out! I don't get the mediocre reviews it's receiving. I think it's one of their strongest albums. It seems like a lot of the criticism it's getting is based on its length, which I think is perfect because every song is good. All of their other records have week songs. If Hail to the Thief was 8 songs long it would be their best record, as long as they chose the 8 best songs.

I think Lotus Flower is as good as some of those BIG songs we're talking about. I think the greatness of songs like Separator (my favorite), Give Up The Ghost, and Codex is how understated and easy they are, so it's okay that they're not earth-shaking. But I understand it's not going to really bowl people over. Lotus, however, does have that element.

I have no problem with understated songs, I just feel like the album could use a track that isn't as understated.

I would think that Bloom is not understated. It doesn't reach a huge crescendo, but it is frenetic and poly-rhythmic.

i agree that this album is going to age very well. i also agree that Lotus Flower is as "big" (if there's such a thing with Radiohead's catalog) the other songs mentioned above.

It does get better with every listen. But I agree with some that it lacks that one, big song. Codex and Separator are closest to this IMO. I would just wish if both of these songs had a more majestic build-up to them. If anyone can build up a song, it's Radiohead. Most of my favourite songs of theirs are structured like that (Climbing Up the Walls, You and Whose Army?, Fake Plastic Trees, How To Disappear Completely...).

I'm thinking this gets forgotten when list-making time comes around at the end of the year. It's only been out for a week and I'm already starting to forget about it . . .

Liam Gallagher said:
I like to think that what we do, we do f*cking well. Them writing a song about a f*cking tree? Give me a f*cking break! A thousand year old tree? Go f*ck yourself! You’d have thought he’d have written a song about a modern tree or one that was planted last week. You know what I mean?
FacePalm_picard.jpg

It makes me laugh that the UK still gives any sort of remote shit as to what those jokes have to say. Then again, they were the country to continue to pretend Oasis were good for more than a decade past their two album period of decency, so I guess I shouldn't be too surprised. I used to think the UK had good taste in music, that seems like a loooong time ago.

This shit didn't get the Best New Music tag. I fucking guarantee that when they put up their year-end top albums list, this shit comes in higher than a bunch of the albums they did give the BNM tag to.

I think that you are right about this - not necessarily about Pitchfork, but about the critical consensus on general. Reviews coming out in recent days are already more positive than the initial (knee-jerk) reviews, and I suspect that this album is going to age exceedingly well. This and Destroyer's album are going to fare well on the end-of-year lists, whereas something like Zonoscope or Dye It Blonde, which is strong but reveals most of its charms upon first listen, will end up in the middling section.

I used to think the UK had good taste in music, that seems like a loooong time ago.

There was a time when all I listened to was British Music, to the point that if someone asked me what I listened to, I'd even respond "mostly British bands".
I realized a couple years ago that it no longer the case.
That being said, I still hate when people ask me that question. How are you supposed to answer without sounding like a total a-hole? Can't name bands to most of the people who ask, I refuse to use the term 'indie', can't say alternative because it sounds like you listen to new rock stations, cant say rock because you sound like a huge skid...

There was a time when all I listened to was British Music, to the point that if someone asked me what I listened to, I'd even respond "mostly British bands".

Ha, this applies to me word for word back when I was in college and a few years after. Sure doesn't now though. :huh:

I haven't listened to this album in about a week. Should probably change that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom