Radiohead: The King of Limbs, Continued - Page 8 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 08:21 PM   #106
Blue Meth Addict

Local Time: 04:38 AM
By the way, I would love to see what Mr. Brau would have had to say about this album if he were still here. I haven't been able to use this image in far too long.

Old 02-23-2011, 08:22 PM   #107
45:33

Local Time: 09:38 PM
back when i hated Radiohead, he was the only friend i had.

Old 02-23-2011, 08:24 PM   #108
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2popmofo View Post
It's long enough to feel fully realized, and short enough to not overstay its welcome.
That is exactly right.
Old 02-23-2011, 08:48 PM   #109
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by u2popmofo View Post
Complaints about a 38 minute album make no sense to me. There are entire genres of music where that's been the norm for decades. Right around 40 to 45 mins is the sweet spot for my own personal listening tastes. It's long enough to feel fully realized, and short enough to not overstay its welcome.
Perhaps shorter albums are more fitting for our ADD, short-attention-span culture.

Personally, I like to go on a longer journey with my art. Does Achtung Birdie overstay its welcome at 55 minutes? Or Poppycock at 1 hr? How about OK Computer at 53?

I think that saying an album is great because of a shorter running time is more ludicrous than suggesting something misses the mark because it doesn't feel substantial enough.
Old 02-23-2011, 08:52 PM   #110
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:38 AM
As I've told every woman I've slept with, size doesn't matter.
Old 02-23-2011, 08:58 PM   #111
Blue Meth Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
Perhaps shorter albums are more fitting for our ADD, short-attention-span culture.

Personally, I like to go on a longer journey with my art. Does Achtung Birdie overstay its welcome at 55 minutes? Or Poppycock at 1 hr? How about OK Computer at 53?

I think that saying an album is great because of a shorter running time is more ludicrous than suggesting something misses the mark because it doesn't feel substantial enough.
My favorite album is London Calling, so it's not really an issue for me either way. In the grand scheme of things, if an album is good, it's good. I think far too many artists throw in a few tracks that didn't need on the album in order to extend the playtime, which is why I personally rather have a concise album where I actually enjoy every song, than one where I have to say, "I love this album except for....". Again, all of this is my personal opinion, I know there are many out there who prefer the "quantity" side of the argument. Different strokes.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:01 PM   #112
Blue Crack Addict

I think the complaints and disappointment about the album's length before anyone had actually heard the damn thing were asinine. I mean, we'd all admit, personal preference aside, a work of art's duration in and of itself is no scale with which to judge. At the same time, I understand why people underwhelmed by the album might wish it simply offered more at this point. Though personally I love every song here, and it's possibly the first Radiohead album I enjoy this much from beginning to end, as even on Kid A and Amnesiac there is at least one track a piece I really don't care for. So I guess I'd say I am happy this one is as "short" as it is, as a complete listening experience.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:25 PM   #113
War Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalton View Post
As I've told every woman I've slept with, size doesn't matter.
That's disturbing. It should be her the one to tell you that, not you...
Old 02-23-2011, 09:32 PM   #114
Blue Meth Addict

That's the joke.

~Wolfcastled
Old 02-23-2011, 09:35 PM   #115
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancemc View Post
I think the complaints and disappointment about the album's length before anyone had actually heard the damn thing were asinine. I mean, we'd all admit, personal preference aside, a work of art's duration in and of itself is no scale with which to judge. At the same time, I understand why people underwhelmed by the album might wish it simply offered more at this point. Though personally I love every song here, and it's possibly the first Radiohead album I enjoy this much from beginning to end, as even on Kid A and Amnesiac there is at least one track a piece I really don't care for. So I guess I'd say I am happy this one is as "short" as it is, as a complete listening experience.
I could use the argument took them 4 years to come up with this. But then I forgot:

Old 02-23-2011, 09:40 PM   #116
Blue Crack Addict

Hah.

I know you're being facetious, but that criticism always kind of bothers me too. As though any musician or artist owes us anything after however long without creating something.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:43 PM   #117
Blue Meth Addict

I can't believe Malick only gave us a 3 hour movie after 20 years.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:58 PM   #118
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Hah.

I know you're being facetious, but that criticism always kind of bothers me too. As though any musician or artist owes us anything after however long without creating something.
That is very true. I don't get the shortness argument either, I mean I know the critics have their job to write stuff about stuff (for lack of better words) criticize, agree ect ect...and I suppose thats the whole point. But I don't see them coming out with a better solution. Most of the talk is the length of the whole thing, and not about the songs themselves, as someone mentioned earlier, in this day and age, when has lack of time been an issue?

Oh and for the record, I do actually like most of huttdab!
Old 02-23-2011, 10:24 PM   #119
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:38 AM
Quote:
Hah.

Right...but as I've said before, many of the artists/albums that have been brought up as a defense of the shorter running time were putting out an album a year.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:32 PM   #120
Blue Crack Addict

...so?