Radiohead: The King of Limbs, Continued - Page 53 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 04:04 AM   #781
45:33

Local Time: 02:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by djerdap

There is no Amnesiac without You and Whose Army.
The final minute is pretty great but the first two are plodding.

Old 06-22-2011, 04:33 AM   #782
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 04:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
The final minute is pretty great but the first two are plodding.
First two are beautiful and the final minute just brings it to another level of brilliance.

Come to think of it, there is no Amnesiac without Like Spinning Plates and I Might Be Wrong as well.

Old 06-22-2011, 05:10 AM   #783
The Male

Local Time: 07:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by djerdap View Post
First two are beautiful and the final minute just brings it to another level of brilliance.
And yes, I Might Be Wrong is unspeakably groovy.

I'm not a major proponent for Amnesiac or anything, but I must give major props to Radiohead for somehow making a collection of castoffs into something unique and cohesive. The production is really dry and suffocating, yet the material itself is very quirky and relatively fleet-footed compared to Kid A. It's like a bloodless, undead version of what a "fun" Radiohead album would sound like at this stage in their career. And I find that pretty cool, personally, even though I think it is on the whole much weaker than OK Computer, Kid A, In Rainbows and most of The Bends.

The b-sides might lift it up to that level though.

Now.
Old 06-22-2011, 05:46 AM   #784
45:33

Local Time: 02:37 AM
Now you've done it.

Like Spinning Plates is among the worst songs I've ever heard. Might Be Wrong has a great riff but is ruined by the vocals.
Old 06-22-2011, 06:08 AM   #785
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
Now you've done it.

Like Spinning Plates is among the worst songs I've ever heard. Might Be Wrong has a great riff but is ruined by the vocals.
As far as Like Spinning Plates goes, there is no soundtrack more fitting to lyrics like "Our bodies floating down the muddy river". It's disturbing but beautiful at the same time. Live version being one of their best piano-based songs goes without saying.

The album would be one of their best if they didn't decide to remove Cuttooth - arguably one of the best b-sides I've heard by any band - at the last minute. Fog and Worrywort wouldn't hurt either.

Amnesiac B-Sides
Old 06-22-2011, 08:57 AM   #786
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 01:37 AM
Quote:

As far as Like Spinning Plates goes, there is no soundtrack more fitting to lyrics like "Our bodies floating down the muddy river". It's disturbing but beautiful at the same time. Live version being one of their best piano-based songs goes without saying.

The album would be one of their best if they didn't decide to remove Cuttooth - arguably one of the best b-sides I've heard by any band - at the last minute. Fog and Worrywort wouldn't hurt either.

Amnesiac B-Sides
Add Kinetic to the mix, another cracking b-side. And I agree on Spinning Plates, probably my favourite track on the album.
Old 06-22-2011, 09:39 AM   #787
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 09:37 AM
Quote:
Cuttooth - arguably one of the best b-sides I've heard by any band
Would easily make my top handful of Radiohead tunes, if such a list existed.
Old 06-22-2011, 09:53 AM   #788
She's the One

^ Same here. It'd be pretty high up there.
Old 06-22-2011, 11:16 AM   #789
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
:
I'm not a major proponent for Amnesiac or anything, but I must give major props to Radiohead for somehow making a collection of castoffs into something unique and cohesive. The production is really dry and suffocating, yet the material itself is very quirky and relatively fleet-footed compared to Kid A. It's like a bloodless, undead version of what a "fun" Radiohead album would sound like at this stage in their career.
I like how it was described by Thom:

While explaining the decision to release two albums rather than one, singer Thom Yorke said, "They are separate because they cannot run in a straight line with each other. They cancel each other out as overall finished things... In some weird way, I think Amnesiac gives another take on Kid A, a form of explanation." He continued: "Something traumatic is happening in Kid A… this is looking back at it, trying to piece together what has happened."[2] About the differences with the previous record he says: "I think the artwork is the best way of explaining it. The artwork to Kid A was all in the distance. The fires were all going on the other side of the hill. With Amnesiac, you're actually in the forest while the fire's happening."

Yorke said, "I read that the gnostics believe when we are born we are forced to forget where we have come from in order to deal with the trauma of arriving in this life. I thought this was really fascinating. It's like the river of forgetfulness. It may have been recorded at same time... but it comes from a different place I think. It sounds like finding an old chest in someone's attic with all these notes and maps and drawings and descriptions of going to a place you cannot remember. That's what I think anyway."

This is why I prefer it to Kid A. As the tracks seem more immediate and organic, and yet also strangely nostalgic.
Old 06-22-2011, 11:41 AM   #790
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
This is why I prefer it to Kid A. As the tracks seem more immediate and organic, and yet also strangely nostalgic.
Absolutely. Also just a lot of really fascinating song structure and musical ideas being thrown around if you only want to scratch the surface.
Old 06-22-2011, 11:56 AM   #791
Blue Meth Addict

Cobbler has weird opinions about Amnesiac.
Old 06-22-2011, 11:58 AM   #792
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2popmofo View Post
cobbler has weird opinions about amnesiac.
+ 1
Old 06-22-2011, 12:05 PM   #793
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Spinning Plates has always struck me as a fascinating track. I think that it and perhaps Pyramid Song are the two tracks that really embody the concept of Amnesiac - looking back with distortion on something painful, almost as in a nightmare. The live version, however, is almost as though that nightmare has become soothing. It's also the track that inspired me to learn piano. That chord progression is very simple yet also sublime, which is Thom's hallmark on piano, I think.
Old 06-22-2011, 12:15 PM   #794
Blue Crack Supplier

In all fairness to Cobbler, there are a lot of people who don't care much for Amnesiac.

Those people are also fools, I'm just saying he's not alone.
Old 06-22-2011, 01:20 PM   #795
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:37 AM
I've always loved Amnesiac and have never understood all the hate for it. I've listened to it a lot over the last year and I think it may have inched its way above Kid A on my list. Wouldn't want to live without either one, though.