Radiohead: The King of Limbs, Continued

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
by the way, i'm a dick head and have never given Jonny's Bodysong album a spin. is it worth my time?

Yes, definitely worth it. Now that I think of it, there is a lot on there that dispels the KoL-as-Thom-solo-album idea.

Bodysong is great, but you might as well watch the movie while you're at it

If you like the There Will Be Blood soundtrack, there are a lot of similar elements (and I think one or two of the same songs)

I'm a big fan of Greenwood's orchestral compositions that were performed at the Ether Festival all those years ago. Really brilliant stuff. Easily better than anything on Bodysong or the TWBB soundtrack for my money. That was also the premier of Weird Fishes (then just Arpeggi I think) which is still the de facto arrangement and performance of that song.

I have so much to contribute to this page, but I'll refrain.

Hoping Ryan Schreiber is the one writing the KOL review, as the potential for lulz increases in that instance.

ryan%2Bschreiber%2Bhair.jpg

"So, me and my droogs jumped in this big-ass river, man. We figure we alone, four black men in the middle of fucking nowhere. No white man to help our black ass. But I was wrong: immediately, these fuckin' angels come out of fuckin' nowhere, and they be swimmin' with us. And I'm like, shit, angels? Fuck, man. White as fuck. Pure as coke. So I toked to that crazy-ass sight, and sure, I be hijackin' some astral cars and whatnot, but the shit wasn't too good, me being black and all. So they gave us some good shit, and put us in a boat. They told us not to fear or doubt, and I didn't really dig on the idea anyhow, because that shit was pure and paranoia-free. Fuck, man. And it was over before you could blink, which I didn't do for like a day after dat, but that's beside the point. It was best they didn't stick around anyhow; we robbed the shit outta some liquor stores later that day, then cashed in for the Best of Trane. I don't say 'holy shit' anymore, because now I know what the fuck that really means, you dig?"

"So, me and my droogs jumped in this big-ass river, man. We figure we alone, four black men in the middle of fucking nowhere. No white man to help our black ass. But I was wrong: immediately, these fuckin' angels come out of fuckin' nowhere, and they be swimmin' with us. And I'm like, shit, angels? Fuck, man. White as fuck. Pure as coke. So I toked to that crazy-ass sight, and sure, I be hijackin' some astral cars and whatnot, but the shit wasn't too good, me being black and all. So they gave us some good shit, and put us in a boat. They told us not to fear or doubt, and I didn't really dig on the idea anyhow, because that shit was pure and paranoia-free. Fuck, man. And it was over before you could blink, which I didn't do for like a day after dat, but that's beside the point. It was best they didn't stick around anyhow; we robbed the shit outta some liquor stores later that day, then cashed in for the Best of Trane. I don't say 'holy shit' anymore, because now I know what the fuck that really means, you dig?"
Awesome coincidence: I was actually listening to Pyramid Song while reading this. Made my night. :lmao:

glad to hear some consensus on my least favorite HTTT songs. Always thought it was a little too big of an album.

almost time for a second go at Teh Pitchfork.

again, 8.5

Some days after the album's release and after numerous listens, I can't say that it draws me back to listen to it again. I don't have a militant hate for any of the songs, but apart from Lotus Flower I don't get a sudden urge to listen again.

Still, quite a solid 3-star album.

Speaking of Pitchfork, does anyone remember their original review of Hail To The Thief? They gave it like a 6 or 7 and then put up another review the next day. I can't for the life of me find it anywhere on the internet, however, but I know for a fact that it happened.

Speaking of Pitchfork, does anyone remember their original review of Hail To The Thief? They gave it like a 6 or 7 and then put up another review the next day. I can't for the life of me find it anywhere on the internet, however, but I know for a fact that it happened.

I just looked up their 9.3 review of Hail To The Thief and found a comforting level of U2 references. It's not [just] us, you guys.

When I head out to purchase Hail to the Thief during my designated lunch break today-- an allowance Thom Yorke would surely turn into a fatalistic, Orwellian meditation on routine and alienation-- I'll mingle with teenagers and CEOs frantic to walk out with their own copy. Because today, Radiohead are U2, Pink Floyd, and Queen-- and they could have been bigger than The Beatles if the success of "Creep" hadn't agitated an Oxford-bred guilt complex.

Which is not to advocate violence, or suggest that any end could justify its employ, but there are tertiary benefits when an artist's perspective is forcibly altered. Listen to Kid A, the most remarkably finessed redesign of an established band's sound since U2 recorded Achtung Baby: A reaction to overexposure, the undermining effects of commodification, and the alienation of celebrity, the record hasn't aged a day.

He believes radical change is the best option in all cases, and only feels pride in doing something "new" (quotes here, since Eno had ample reason to bristle at Kid A). Yorke can't see that Hail to the Thief is nothing to apologize for, that Radiohead are a band, and that, after a fashion, bands are defined by their music. Much as U2's Zooropa still sounded like U2, anything Radiohead does from here on out will sound like Radiohead.

This worrisome middling leads into "Where I End and You Begin", which is the only real low point on the album, as aside from Yorke's vocals, it's simply a U2 song. Shuffling snare rolls usher along an admittedly succulent liquid bassline, but these are only drawn out from their terrestrial locus by a hard-panned pair of keyboard tracks, which, for their simplicity, rescue an otherwise unsalvageable track.

I think I really, really love Where I End And You Begin.

Where I End and You Begin is one of the 5 songs on that album that I would listen to somewhat regularly. Great track.

"Where I End" is a great song and, for my money, a very fine lyric. And "The Gloaming" is probably my favorite song on the album, which will likely be an unpopular opinion. It has tremendous atmosphere, and I love the way that the layers build as the song progresses.

Jive Turkey said:
Guess what? Nobody gives a shit what you think

Maybe you and gherman should take your shirts off and PM each other about it instead

Lol sorry,I thought a forum was for voicing your opinion. My bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom