Radiohead: The King of Limbs, Continued

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The final minute is pretty great but the first two are plodding.

First two are beautiful and the final minute just brings it to another level of brilliance.

Come to think of it, there is no Amnesiac without Like Spinning Plates and I Might Be Wrong as well.

First two are beautiful and the final minute just brings it to another level of brilliance.

:up: And yes, I Might Be Wrong is unspeakably groovy.

I'm not a major proponent for Amnesiac or anything, but I must give major props to Radiohead for somehow making a collection of castoffs into something unique and cohesive. The production is really dry and suffocating, yet the material itself is very quirky and relatively fleet-footed compared to Kid A. It's like a bloodless, undead version of what a "fun" Radiohead album would sound like at this stage in their career. And I find that pretty cool, personally, even though I think it is on the whole much weaker than OK Computer, Kid A, In Rainbows and most of The Bends.

The b-sides might lift it up to that level though.

Now you've done it.

Like Spinning Plates is among the worst songs I've ever heard. Might Be Wrong has a great riff but is ruined by the vocals.

Now you've done it.

Like Spinning Plates is among the worst songs I've ever heard. Might Be Wrong has a great riff but is ruined by the vocals.

As far as Like Spinning Plates goes, there is no soundtrack more fitting to lyrics like "Our bodies floating down the muddy river". It's disturbing but beautiful at the same time. Live version being one of their best piano-based songs goes without saying.

The album would be one of their best if they didn't decide to remove Cuttooth - arguably one of the best b-sides I've heard by any band - at the last minute. Fog and Worrywort wouldn't hurt either.

Amnesiac B-Sides :drool:

djerdap said:
As far as Like Spinning Plates goes, there is no soundtrack more fitting to lyrics like "Our bodies floating down the muddy river". It's disturbing but beautiful at the same time. Live version being one of their best piano-based songs goes without saying.

The album would be one of their best if they didn't decide to remove Cuttooth - arguably one of the best b-sides I've heard by any band - at the last minute. Fog and Worrywort wouldn't hurt either.

Amnesiac B-Sides :drool:

Add Kinetic to the mix, another cracking b-side. And I agree on Spinning Plates, probably my favourite track on the album.

djerdap said:
Cuttooth - arguably one of the best b-sides I've heard by any band

Would easily make my top handful of Radiohead tunes, if such a list existed.

:
I'm not a major proponent for Amnesiac or anything, but I must give major props to Radiohead for somehow making a collection of castoffs into something unique and cohesive. The production is really dry and suffocating, yet the material itself is very quirky and relatively fleet-footed compared to Kid A. It's like a bloodless, undead version of what a "fun" Radiohead album would sound like at this stage in their career.

I like how it was described by Thom:

While explaining the decision to release two albums rather than one, singer Thom Yorke said, "They are separate because they cannot run in a straight line with each other. They cancel each other out as overall finished things... In some weird way, I think Amnesiac gives another take on Kid A, a form of explanation." He continued: "Something traumatic is happening in Kid A… this is looking back at it, trying to piece together what has happened."[2] About the differences with the previous record he says: "I think the artwork is the best way of explaining it. The artwork to Kid A was all in the distance. The fires were all going on the other side of the hill. With Amnesiac, you're actually in the forest while the fire's happening."

Yorke said, "I read that the gnostics believe when we are born we are forced to forget where we have come from in order to deal with the trauma of arriving in this life. I thought this was really fascinating. It's like the river of forgetfulness. It may have been recorded at same time... but it comes from a different place I think. It sounds like finding an old chest in someone's attic with all these notes and maps and drawings and descriptions of going to a place you cannot remember. That's what I think anyway."

This is why I prefer it to Kid A. As the tracks seem more immediate and organic, and yet also strangely nostalgic.

This is why I prefer it to Kid A. As the tracks seem more immediate and organic, and yet also strangely nostalgic.

Absolutely. Also just a lot of really fascinating song structure and musical ideas being thrown around if you only want to scratch the surface.

Spinning Plates has always struck me as a fascinating track. I think that it and perhaps Pyramid Song are the two tracks that really embody the concept of Amnesiac - looking back with distortion on something painful, almost as in a nightmare. The live version, however, is almost as though that nightmare has become soothing. It's also the track that inspired me to learn piano. That chord progression is very simple yet also sublime, which is Thom's hallmark on piano, I think.

In all fairness to Cobbler, there are a lot of people who don't care much for Amnesiac.

Those people are also fools, I'm just saying he's not alone.

I've always loved Amnesiac and have never understood all the hate for it. I've listened to it a lot over the last year and I think it may have inched its way above Kid A on my list. Wouldn't want to live without either one, though.

I love half of Amnesiac but the other half is pretty boring and there are also a few really bad tracks on it, namely Morning Bell and Pull/Pulk.

I really like Hunting Bears for some reason. I like Pulk/Pull far more than most of their other "electronic adventures", but it's probably just more up the type of alley of electronic music that suits my fancy.

Until I Might Be Wrong came out, there probably weren't many Like Spinning Plates fan. Once I heard the I Might Be Wrong live version though, it became a track I couldn't do without. I'm sure I like the album version far more because it, particularly since I could finally understand what was being said. I thought it was all gibberish sounds initially (thought the same of Kid A - the song).

lazarus said:
Morning Bell/Amnesiac is heavenly. I'm still pissed they only played the cold Kid A version live.

Kid A version is better. Makes you wait a little bit longer for the sunlight it has, but it offers greater variety, and I love Selway's drumming. The Amnesiac version is gorgeous, but it doesn't go anywhere, and Thom's vocal is so whiny.

Yeah, that's what I meant. The song is so dreary to start, but once it opens up there...so sublime.

That's part of why I hate the album version. I hears the live version first and thought well there's going to be at least one gorgeous song on Amnesiac and I bought it and there was no piano to be heard.

Kid A version is better. Makes you wait a little bit longer for the sunlight it has, but it offers greater variety, and I love Selway's drumming. The Amnesiac version is gorgeous, but it doesn't go anywhere, and Thom's vocal is so whiny.

I really like both versions, but the Kid A version is my preference as well. That 10/8 time signature gives it an unconventional groove that somehow manages to surprise me every time that I listen to it.

My favorite place to offer NSW no assistance.

So yeah, I've been listening to peoples' least favorite Amnesiac songs this morning, and I still have no idea what any of you are complaining about. I must have a version of the album that sounds drastically different than Cobbler does.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom