Radiohead: Random Hail To The Thief Talk MMCDLXXVIII

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, even though I let myself get irritated by stupid shit at U2 concerts (I think I've finally come to terms with my issues; we'll see how I deal with the next tour), I love going to shows.

Sucks if you end up next to idiots or if there are other hassles beyond your control, but it's rare that I don't have those same "zomg" moments that LeMel mentioned above.

I could go on a rant about how it's usually girls who are annoying at concerts but I don't know if I have the energy for it. But it seems like except for the occasional drunk dude, it's usually some girl yap yap yapping through the whole show who I want to kill.

Live performances don't really captivate me as much as a perfectly crafted or perfectly captured record (in music of course, where there's even a comparison, but the same approach applies to all purely 'recorded' media like film and literature). Well, they have sometimes, but it's not regular. Plus shows are expensive and time consuming, and a big hassle and ephemeral as an art. The latter of which isn't a good or bad thing... just a thing... to consider.

I feel really sorry for you. Maybe the actual music is ephemeral, but the memories aren't. Almost six years on, the first time I saw U2 still stands as probably the best night of my life, sad as that might sound. I wouldn't be into The National if I'd never seen them live. The experience of live music is one of the best things life has to offer.

I don't know if there's any cause for people to be feeling sorry for people. I'm into a whole lot of bands I've never seen live and almost certainly never will.

I feel really sorry for you. Maybe the actual music is ephemeral, but the memories aren't. Almost six years on, the first time I saw U2 still stands as probably the best night of my life, sad as that might sound. I wouldn't be into The National if I'd never seen them live. The experience of live music is one of the best things life has to offer.

I'm long past the point of feeling sorry for people. Live and let live. If you derive enjoyment from live music, that's fantastic. If someone else doesn't, well, that's their thing. That's one more ticket for a concert fan.

Perhaps one day I will be as sage as you BoMac :wink:

You should be so lucky. :wink:

We have new dates for the postponed shows.
They are as follows:

SEPTEMBER
Thursday 20th - Switzerland, Canton de Vaud - Quarry of St Triphon
Saturday 22nd - Italy, Roma - Hyppodrome Capanelle - Rock in Roma
Sunday 23rd - Italy, Florence - Parco Delle Cascine
Tuesday 25th - Italy, Bologna - Arena Parco Nord
Wednesday 26th - Italy, Codroipo (Udine) - Villa Manin
Saturday 29th - Germany, Berlin - Wuhlheide (this replaces the 6th July show)
Sunday 30th - Germany, Berlin - Wuhlheide (this replaces the 7th July show)

All original tickets are valid for the re-scheduled date.
However, if you are unable to attend the re-scheduled date please visit the tour date page and click on the relevant date for refund information.

Just got a tweet from Radiohead and saw the new dates.

I'll go and get my Bologna ticket refunded because I can't go on that day.

BUT I was just able to get myself a ticket for the first show in Berlin :yippeh:

It's a Saturday and since it's a weekend it's easier for me to go. AND I just have to see Berlin again.

Won't be able to go to the second show or to Cologne or Italy because Sept/Oct are heavy working months for me, but Berlin will be fine.

I hope the weather will be good enough since it's in fall.

Perhaps one day I will be as sage as you BoMac :wink:

I meant no offence, btw, Lance

No offense taken. Don't need anyone to feel sorry for me, but it's great you're so passionate about it. I certainly don't think ill or anything of anybody who love live performance so much, it's just not my bag. I do enjoy it still, btw, just not interested in putting forth the money and time for it as often as I used to. And nothing within my price range of great enough interest has come around here in the last year or two (Radiohead aside, but the hassle of getting tickets for them is just too much), so meh.

Nice to see Cobbler taking a page out of my jerk playbook.

I have to say I feel much like Lance does these days. Maybe because it's that I've seen most of the active artists I'm into, maybe it's because I can't adjust to the inflation rate and don't feel newer acts are worth $25-$30, I don't know.

And the list of bands I will see without fail every time they come into town has shrunk drastically. Pretty much down to Shuttlecock, Malkmus, and Los Campesinos! I mean, I love Spoon, but unless they put out another great album I'm not compelled to see them again.

I will say that I don't have a lot of enthusiasm for huge shows anymore, but I have really, really enjoyed the small-venue shows that I have seen recently. Los Campesinos, St. Vincent, and Morrissey were all fantastic largely because everyone in the crowd seemed to be engaged. By contrast, the crowds at the two Lollapaloozas I have attended were both atrocious.

I'm in the same boat as you guys. I went to fewer shows last year than any point since I was in college. I don't even want to mention how few I've seen this year, you probably would shun me from music discussion.

I still love concerts, and I try to go when possible, particularly for bands I love or ones I haven't seen yet. Sadly, for me I think age has had to do with my ever decreasing number of shows attended. A lot of the things associated with going to shows has become much more a of a hassle / pain, and can really take a lot of the excitement out of going for me. Considerably harder to arrange seeing it with friends now, not nearly as enjoyable to go to solo, etc. etc. etc.

That all said, age has its benefits as well. Having the funds to fly to various cool places you've never been to see bands you love has been a blast, and can make a concert all the more memorable.

Wow, I hope age never keeps me from going to shows because then I'll really start feeling old. Whenever there are longer periods of not being able to go to any concerts I feel like I'm really missing something. Live music makes me feel alive, gives me a lot of energy and I really connect to music, emotionally. Listening to music at home just isn't the same. I love shows where I meet all kinds of people, all ages, because I don't believe going to a live show is really an age thing.

So basically you're saying that u2popmofo et al are not the same person as you and feel differently about things? Thanks for clarifying. ;)

The only time age becomes a factor for me with shows is when I want to go to shows at clubs where I know the band will not start until very late. I just can't do that anymore. (Well, I CAN. I just don't like to, because I know how tired I'll be.) I hate going out for things that START at 10:00 or later. If I'm already out and about, that's different.

I think that's why I was very 'meh' about the first time I saw Florence and the Machine. She didn't even go on until after 10, and I was just so damned tired! ha.

After this marathon year of concerts, I probably have to stop saying "gee, I don't really go to many concerts."

Also,

That all said, age has its benefits as well. Having the funds to fly to various cool places you've never been to see bands you love has been a blast, and can make a concert all the more memorable.

Yes. This. :)

For me personally, and I'm assuming this applies to iYup, Laz, and Lance as well, I still do go to far more concerts than most people I know. It's just that compared to how many I once went to, it feels like I'm hardly going to any.

Whatever, you might as well just shoot yourself, because clearly you have lost all passion for music.

:wink:

The only time age becomes a factor for me with shows is when I want to go to shows at clubs where I know the band will not start until very late. I just can't do that anymore. (Well, I CAN. I just don't like to, because I know how tired I'll be.) I hate going out for things that START at 10:00 or later.

YES. This is me. When I start getting sleepy and the first act isn't even over yet, it's a recipe for disaster. DIS-aster.

I still do go to far more concerts than most people I know. It's just that compared to how many I once went to, it feels like I'm hardly going to any.

Yes. I feel like it's been a slow year for me, then I think of my colleagues and friends.

I agree with the late night shows. That's my main reason for not liking solo shows as much any more. If it starts at such a late hour, and I have to drive home after that, I get worried that I'll be far too tired to drive home. There's one venue I pretty much refuse to go to alone any more for that reason.

I'm going to keep on rocking forever!

Forever!

Forever...

Forever.

I used to rock and roll all night and party ev-er-y day. Then it was every other day. Now I would be lucky to find a half hour each week in which to get funky.

I get annoyed (in a GA environment) with the young kids CONSTANTLY pushing you and squeezing in front of you to get closer to the front, or to go back and forth to the bar for the continuous flow of booze they HAVE to have!

I feel like striking them with my walking stick!

I get annoyed (in a GA environment) with the young kids CONSTANTLY pushing you and squeezing in front of you to get closer to the front, or to go back and forth to the bar for the continuous flow of booze they HAVE to have!

This is why I generally hang in the back at GA shows. I just don't need to be so close for most shows, because of the hassle.

Sometimes I can get close to the front by being way over on the side, which is cool.

The last biggish show I ever actually attended was for the late Australian band Augie March in 2006. I drove two hours to get there, and by the time they started I was tipsy, cranky and very tired. By the end I was just checking my watch cause I had a two hour drive back home. Honestly I think I kind of fell out with the band over that.

(Well that and they were touring their crossover third album with the smash hit single that even the boss could agree on and that seems to me to have spelled the beginning of the end)

I go to a stunningly small number of concerts considering the hours I keep. But I don't have a credit card or a car so I can't buy tickets online and I can't drive to gigs. I have not been to a concert in Philly in over two years. That was The National.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom