Radiohead: Random Hail To The Thief Talk MMCDLXXVIII

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually prefer some of the OKC B-sides (particularly Lull) to No Surprises, but I consider the tracklisting sacrosanct, so B-sides they must remain.

Kanye and Jay at the abandoned power plant.

And they would have gotten away with it, if it wasn't for you snooping, meddling hipsters!

I don't want to know what sort of depraved act you had to perform to acquire it.

Too bad someone already made a Gagging Order joke last night.

Lucky is my least favourite on OK Computer.

How's that for an "unpopular opinion"?

Naturally, that's my favorite.

:sad:

I actually prefer some of the OKC B-sides (particularly Lull) to No Surprises, but I consider the tracklisting sacrosanct, so B-sides they must remain.

You could say that I prefer some amazing OK Computer B-Sides (Polyethylene, Palo Alto, Pearly*) to album tracks that I consider to be the weakest (No Surprises, Lucky), but this is not an anomaly when it comes to Radiohead. Probably the strongest "b-side band" ever.

Cuttooth, Fog, Worrywort (these three are better than at least half of Amnesiac), The Amazing Sounds of Orgy, Gagging Order, I Am a Wicked Child, Go Slowly, 4 Minute Warning, The Trickster, How Can You Be Sure, Banana Co....

The list goes on and on...

paperless tickets: my girlfriend is going to buy my ticket for me but won't be going because she hates radiohead. will i be able to get in?

Haven't posted in a RH thread in a long time, but been reading the past few days and going on a little RH mini-binge, so I've got a few things to say...

1. I listened to TKOL when it was released, and was so underwhelmed by it that I didn't listen to any of it again until a few nights ago(probably a reason why I haven't posted anything about RH in months). What brought me back, was that I hadn't yet listened to any of the new standalone tracks that have been subsequently released. I actually love those tracks for the most part already, and it inspired me to give TKOL another chance. I have listened to it a number of times, some songs more than others, and it has started slowly growing on me. I'm not sure if it'll ever be high in my rankings - though it could happen - and I cannot understand what RH was thinking when they decided, "Stairway and Supercollider shouldn't go on the album, but Feral should", but with a custom tracklist/running order, I'm enjoying it now, finally.

2. Even so, there's one that that bugs me, and it bugged me to an extent with IR as well, and this reviewer summed it up well:

More disappointing is Thom Yorke’s lack of ambition. A great singer and songwriter, it seems that he’s found a profitable niche for his voice; a hauntingly chill moaning that showcases most if not all the songs on the album, completely disregarding the rest of his vocal ability.

It's not that he's singing poorly at all, it's just that we know he's capable of doing a lot more with his voice, that he has a much wider range than what he shows on this record. I think we'd all agree that he's one of the great rock vocalists of the last 20-30 years, and it just feels like he's squandering his talent sometimes. I said sometimes.

3. Some of you were talking about OKC. I agree with Laz, "Lucky" is one of the best songs on the record for sure. I think that moment in the bridge leading up to the second chorus, where the words "it's gonna be a glorious day" are stretched out, like, "it's gonna be...a GLO-O-O-RIOUS DA-A-Y", and then the backing vocals rise leading up to "I feel my luck could change", is one of the greatest moments of their entire career. If I had to rank OKC songs:

1. Let Down
2. Lucky
3. Exit Music(For A Film)
4. Paranoid Android
5. Karma Police/No Surprises(tie, can't decide)
6. The Tourist
7. Climbing Up The Walls
8. Airbag
9. Subterranean Homesick Alien
10. Electioneering
11. Fitter Happier

But they're all great. OKC is incredible.

4. To add to the b-sides conversation, I fully agree that RH is one of the best b-side bands ever, particularly in the Bends/OKC era. I mean, does anyone else think "India Rubber" might be one of the catchiest songs they've ever written? It's just smooth and groove-y. Also, I think "Melatonin" is incredibly beautiful, and rather underrated.

India Rubber
How Can You Be Sure
Bishop's Robes
Talk Show Host
Banana Co.
The Trickster
Punchdrunk Lovesick Along
You Never Wash Up After Yourself
Lozenge Of Love
Pearly
Polyethylene Parts 1&2
Melatonin
Killer Cars
Molasses
How I Made My Millions
True Love Waits(it was originally performed live during the "Bends" era)

Speaking of "True Love Waits" - somebody mentioned wanting a studio version. Obviously, there isn't one, but this guy on youtube took a Bends era sort-of-full band performance of it and cleaned it up and added instruments to it to simulate what a Bends era studio recording might sound like. Take a listen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2hZ9CTLICs

I disagree he's one of the "great rock vocalists" of the past 2 or 3 decades. He's very good at times, but not one of my favourites. I think that he's just a very good fit for the music, and adaptable too. He can also be bloody ordinary at times, like on I Might Be Wrong, when he ruins a great riff with a nothing vocal (in. my. opinion.)

Oh shit. No sneaking necessary. I now have a pass for tonight!

You son of a bitch bastard.

I feel like a true son of a bitch bastard. Can't believe my good fortune. This is probably the most sought after ticket of the tour. Certainly the most sought after ticket in the city since Kanye and Jay at the abandoned power plant.

I don't want to know what sort of depraved act you had to perform to acquire it.

We hate you. But congrats anyway.

Thanks. Heading down there now. The fact that I'm about to see them with only 2,699 other people hasn't quite sunk in. Tonight and tomorrow night are going to be ridiculous.

I think that he's just a very good fit for the music, and adaptable too.

He is extremely versatile in terms of his range and ability to emote. I will still hold that Nude is the finest vocal performance in a rock song that I have ever heard.

I don't think we got 'Let Down' at our 2006 show. Now I haz sadz. :(

Oh well, I'm pretty sure we got in on the actual OK Computer tour though.

they did 2 shows at tower theatre, Upper Darby PA. We went to the second nite...

and got this :drool:

There There
Lucky
15 Step
Weird Fishes/Arpeggi
Kid A
Dollars & Cents
The National Anthem
Nude
Go Slowly
Paranoid Android
Spooks
The Gloaming
Bodysnatchers
4 Minute Warning
The Bends
Everything In Its Right Place
How to Disappear Completely
Encore:
I Might Be Wrong
House of Cards
Black Star
Let Down
Encore 2:
Idioteque

:love:

and what is the kicker.. and still painful is this show still till this day has never showed up on any of the torrent sites. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom