Radiohead: Random Hail To The Thief Talk MMCDLXXVIII - Page 57 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 09:14 AM   #841
45:33

Local Time: 09:16 AM
Yeah from all reports Bruce is something else. Will definitely go if he tours here, though I'm sad I'll never get to see The Big Man.

Don't ever mention Roger Waters again though. Still kills me inside I was in Thailand for all FOUR of his Melb shows.

Old 06-11-2012, 09:22 AM   #842
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:16 PM
Ful Stop

Radiohead - new song - full stop! - YouTube

Old 06-11-2012, 11:11 AM   #843
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
And since when should fans who have stood by the band for years and love these albums since release be treated as if they're commoners with awful taste? Like their tastes aren't worth taking the time of day to implement?
Because it isn't about what the fans want to hear. It's about what the band wants to play. It's their show, this is what they're doing, come see it if you want, is what I think they're doing. Thom said as much at Bonnaroo when he introduced one of the new songs (something like "Hope you like it, sorry if you don't, but this is what we're doing.") Maybe some people think that's dismissive of the fans. I really don't. You'd never hear a visual artist saying they're making art that they think people want to see; they're making art to express themselves. I guess an argument could be made that people pay a pretty penny to see a concert and therefore the band should give the fans more songs they know they want, whereas you can walk into a gallery and see an art installation for free, but I guess I just see it differently.

All that said, I can still totally understand being disappointed by the setlist especially for people who haven't had the opportunity to see them before or to see multiple shows. I'm sorry you didn't enjoy it more (although maybe I'm reading your review as more negative than you mean it). I really loved the shows I saw. I just accepted the setlists for what they were and just got on board with it I guess.

And so sorry bono_212 that you weren't feeling well. My NJ shows were tainted as well - no sleep, travel drama, ER family crisis, and getting from NYC to the venue wasn't as easy as it seemed - so I was extremely tired both nights.

Also, I haven't heard a live version of Orgy so maybe it just isn't that interesting live. I like the recording a lot, though, and thought that as long as they're busting out the b-sides, that's one I'd like to hear.
Old 06-11-2012, 11:26 AM   #844
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 02:16 PM
I would argue that on the record, the artist is free to express themselves, but the concerts themselves, with the amount the fans are paying, that's more for the fan than the band in some respects. You get shows like The Wall (for example) and that's more of a performance than a concert, and I don't expect Waters to bust out with some DSOTM, you know? Anyways...

There was a fella behind me who I think was kind of in the same boat I was, liked Radiohead, but wasn't super familiar with their material because there were several occasions where I'd hear him ask his buddy what song was currently on. Anyways, when Orgy came on he's like, "What's this?" and his friend said it was a b-side and the guy goes, "I guess!" So, he actively disliked it far more than I did . It made me chuckle at any rate. I just was kind of meh towards it, myself.
Old 06-11-2012, 11:27 AM   #845
Blue Crack Distributor

Also, I'm listening to In Rainbows right now, and I'm not really sure what my problem with this album was. Probably simply the fact that it was the first thing by Radiohead I'd ever heard and I simply didn't want to like it the first time I heard it. What really confuses me, though, is why I so actively hated "Weird Fishes" for so long. No idea what that was all about. Anyways, up to "All I Need" and it's still not my favorite album by them, but I like it far more than I thought I did.
Old 06-11-2012, 11:37 AM   #846
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
I would argue that on the record, the artist is free to express themselves, but the concerts themselves, with the amount the fans are paying, that's more for the fan than the band in some respects..
I can see both sides for sure. Radiohead's ticket price is less than fucking Florence & the Fucking Machine and her two fucking records (seriously, her ticket price blows my mind) so I sure felt like I got my money's worth and way more. Of course you guys paid more.
Old 06-11-2012, 11:44 AM   #847
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyfulgirl View Post
I can see both sides for sure. Radiohead's ticket price is less than fucking Florence & the Fucking Machine and her two fucking records (seriously, her ticket price blows my mind) so I sure felt like I got my money's worth and way more. Of course you guys paid more.
Yeah, I paid face plus venue fees and shit, so really, $75 is how much the ticket was. For the spot, it was a great price compared to comparable bands, so I'm not really complaining about the price. Nor am I really complaining about the setlist for that matter. I'm just not in agreement with the idea that a band isn't performing for their audience aspect of what we're discussing. That's all.

I may finally listen to Amnesiac and Hail to the Thief today. We'll see. Baby-steps.
Old 06-11-2012, 11:47 AM   #848
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212
Also, I'm listening to In Rainbows right now, and I'm not really sure what my problem with this album was. Probably simply the fact that it was the first thing by Radiohead I'd ever heard and I simply didn't want to like it the first time I heard it. What really confuses me, though, is why I so actively hated "Weird Fishes" for so long. No idea what that was all about. Anyways, up to "All I Need" and it's still not my favorite album by them, but I like it far more than I thought I did.
If you don't like Reckoner or House Of Cards I may never be able to speak to you again
Old 06-11-2012, 11:49 AM   #849
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
I'm just not in agreement with the idea that a band isn't performing for their audience aspect of what we're discussing. That's all.
I definitely think bands are performing for their audience, but Radiohead are performing for their audience what they want to play. (Not to beat it to death...)
Old 06-11-2012, 11:51 AM   #850
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by elevated_u2_fan View Post
If you don't like Reckoner or House Of Cards I may never be able to speak to you again
I HATED Reckoner for the longest time. I don't know when exactly that opinion changed. I think maybe forced repetition since it's been on every DI list ever conceived pretty much. but, yeah, I love it now. "House of Cards" too.

Quote:
I definitely think bands are performing for their audience, but Radiohead are performing for their audience what they want to play. (Not to beat it to death...)
. I gotcha. I think my initial knee-jerk response to this topic was the assertion that playing da hitz was pandering to the audience and that kind of rubbed me the wrong way.
Old 06-11-2012, 11:52 AM   #851
Blue Meth Addict

Local Time: 04:16 PM
Sort of a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation for a band. They do a tour where they play nothing but the hits, and fans who've seen them multiple times are disappointed because they've heard all those songs performed. They do a show where they play a large amount of rarities, and fans who haven't seen them many times are disappointed because they're not playing songs they've never seen live.

The show I saw was pretty much a dream setlist for me (rarities and new songs), but the friend I went with drastically preferred the last time he saw them (Hail to the Thief tour). I can certainly understand why, and don't think less of him or anyone else for feeling that way. At least for me, they're a fantastic live band no matter what they're doing. Even if they're not playing my favorite songs, it's still going to be awesome.
Old 06-11-2012, 11:55 AM   #852
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon
And since when should fans who have stood by the band for years and love these albums since release be treated as if they're commoners with awful taste? Like their tastes aren't worth taking the time of day to implement?
I think you have to be extremely careful about extrapolating your personal tastes to an entire demographic of fans, especially with a band as eclectic as Radiohead. This is not meant as a judgment on you, but it seems as though any and all setlist complaining on this site stems from the idea that the artist in question has an obligation to cater to one's own personal preferences (this is especially true of U2). I would consider myself a huge fan of Radiohead as well, but I am sure that my ideal setlist would look a hell of lot different from yours, which would look different from that of Cobbler, which would be different from Joyful, etc.
Old 06-11-2012, 11:59 AM   #853
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

. I gotcha. I think my initial knee-jerk response to this topic was the assertion that playing da hitz was pandering to the audience and that kind of rubbed me the wrong way.
No, I really didn't mean it that way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2popmofo View Post
At least for me, they're a fantastic live band. Even if they're not playing my favorite songs, it's still going to be good.
Exactly how I feel. I guess that is all I want from any concert. A band can't please everyone so they have to just do what feels right to them. One fan is desperate for Karma Police while another is sick to death of it. What else can they do but play what they're into at the moment and throw out enough popular songs that everyone should get at least something they hoped to hear.
Old 06-11-2012, 12:18 PM   #854
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
No, I really didn't mean it that way!
Oh no, not you, lol, someone else said that.

What it comes down to for me is, total they're playing 2, maybe 3 songs from their first three albums a night. I'm not asking for a tailor-made setlist, I was just kind of surprised to see three albums getting so glazed over, especially when one of those albums is OK Computer.
Old 06-11-2012, 12:24 PM   #855
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

I understand how much people love OK Computer. I am one of those people. But the fact that the band has little to no nostalgia for it, that they are willing to disown the past, has given us albums like Kid A and In Rainbows. I personally would much rather have those in their catalogue than have them play three-quarters of OK Computer 15 years after its release.