Radiohead Discussion Thread Part II - Page 36 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 07-04-2010, 12:31 AM   #526
45:33

Local Time: 12:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by u2popmofo View Post
Who DOESN'T like Sulk?

Friggin' Cobbler.
wrong again, apparently.

i'm glad someone bought up Amnesiac because it gives me another opportunity to say that i loathe that album, though Pyramid Song is amazing and Packt and Glasshouse are quite good. the rest of it ranges from among the worst songs i've ever heard (Spinning Plates) to utter garbage to downright mediocrity. and yes i'm including both You and Whose Army and I Might Be Wrong (cool riff but Thom ruins the song).

Old 07-04-2010, 03:44 AM   #527
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 07:17 PM
Amnesiac is my second favorite of theirs behind OKC.

Old 07-04-2010, 03:53 AM   #528
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:17 PM
You And Whose Army through Dollars And Cents is one of my favourite on a Radiohead album.
Old 07-04-2010, 07:49 AM   #529
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 02:17 AM
How can you dislike You And Whose Army and I Might Wrong? Two of my favourite RH songs. Knives Out is whiny though.
Old 07-04-2010, 02:12 PM   #530
The Male

Amnesiac is pretty good, but not good enough to drag you into its spell the way Kid A does. There is a dark, dusty feel to the album (I feel like I'm describing wine over here), as if you've just uncovered a series of demos that were never meant to be heard and are probably cursed, but, sadly, I skip around so much that it mostly just sounds like a series of demos. It starts out great, but by the time Pulk comes around, it's pretty obvious what it is you've just purchased. The second half is pretty much a wasteland. Thankfully, I love nearly everything in the first half, so overall I like the album.

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 02:14 PM   #531
HCL
War Child

Local Time: 10:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
but by the time Pulk comes around, it's pretty obvious what it is you've just purchased.
But Pulk is so awesome.
I agree though, the first half is much better. (I do like the second half however, not as much as the first, but I do.)
If I had to name Radiohead's worst album after PH it would had to be HTTT. There's something in it... that doesn't click with me. Guess is no coincidence that Thom had so much control over HTTT's sound and that I feel the same distance with The Eraser.
Old 07-04-2010, 02:30 PM   #532
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Amnesiac's 2nd half has Like Spinning Plates, which automatically makes it awesome (the beautiful live version only makes it better). And I was never as big of a fan of Life in a Glasshouse as some, but I appreciate it more as time goes by.
Old 07-04-2010, 02:45 PM   #533
The Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by djerdap View Post
the beautiful live version only makes it better
Mmmhmm, got a chance to see this for myself (whilst discussing the art direction of Stroszek, as well as the validity of the term "art direction" in modern cinema; it was the Virginia 2008 show and therefore the only time wearing a scarf in late May could have made sense). I find the album version an amusing scribble with a certain hypnotic quality that's kind of cool, but live it's so gorgeous. A comepletely different song, really.

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 02:54 PM   #534
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

There's something about that studio version that creates some fascinating images in my head. I cannot imagine a more fitting soundtrack to lyrics like "our bodies floating down the muddy river".
Old 07-04-2010, 04:02 PM   #535
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 06:17 PM
Quote:
Amnesiac's 2nd half has Like Spinning Plates, which automatically makes it awesome (the beautiful live version only makes it better). And I was never as big of a fan of Life in a Glasshouse as some, but I appreciate it more as time goes by.
Quote:
There's something about that studio version that creates some fascinating images in my head. I cannot imagine a more fitting soundtrack to lyrics like "our bodies floating down the muddy river".
These. Almost to a 'T'. QFT.

Except, probably in the minority here but, I don't prefer the live version over the album version. I absolutely LOVE the album version and it's always been my favorite track off Amnesiac.
Old 07-04-2010, 09:48 PM   #536

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heathcliff View Post
But Pulk is so awesome.
i hate Pulk, but there was also a time i hated Kid A (the song) and now that's firmly in my top ten.
Quote:
that's part of the reason the album disappointed me so; i purchased it having heard a live version of Spinning Plates with this beautiful piano line, thinking there'd be at least one song that made it worth coming back to. but it's just a pointless, meandering mix of computerised noises and a woeful vocal. but each to their own.
Old 07-05-2010, 12:49 AM   #537

something else I wanted to ask... why is OKC, and in particular Lucky & Tourist, continually get referred to as "Pink Floydian"? i've never understood.
Old 07-05-2010, 12:52 AM   #538
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 06:17 PM
I'm not the best with the whole musical-analysis skillz, but I can definitely hear DSOTM in those tunes.
Old 07-05-2010, 01:25 PM   #539
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

I don't hear it but I'm not good in comparing music.
Old 07-05-2010, 01:41 PM   #540
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 07:17 PM
The soaring guitar parts in "Lucky" seem like they came right out of David Gilmour's arsenal. The solos in "Time" and "Comfortably Numb" among many others have the same drawn-out, echoing sound.

I think that OK Computer and Dark Side are also very similar thematically, both dealing with the manner in which individuals deal with the pressures and paranoia of their respective environments. I've often thought that OKC can be seen as Dark Side updated for the 90s, at least from a lyrical standpoint.

Tags
radiohead