Radiohead Discussion Thread Part II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Outside of the universal feelings towards Pablo Honey, Amnesiac and Hail to the Thief are the two that some fans seem to have problem with. I personally have always been surprised that someone could not like one of those albums, or both, but like the rest of their work. Neither feel that much different than anything else they've done to me personally, but it's admittedly hard to look at those albums subjectively at this point. I'd understand a distaste towards Thom's solo album far before either of those two, as I think it's a bit weaker than anything the band has done other than Pablo Honey. That said, I still like it as well.

All of this.

I loved HTTT and Amnesiac the first time I heard them, and haven't stopped. I also didn't care much for The Eraser aside from a few tracks.

I loved The Eraser off the bat, but tired of most of it. Still like it, just not nearly as much as full band material. Didn't really care for Cymbal Rush during the In Rainbows tour.

The Eraser is a better album than Amnesiac, HTTT and Pablo Honey, IMO of course. Amnesiac and HTTT may have more standout tracks than it but they both have some bad ones too.

Random: I'm a big fan of pretty much all of the Amnesiac b-sides.

Certainly. The album would actually come across as less of a b-sides collection with those replacing tracks like Pulk, Morning Bell and Hunting Bears that either add nothing or are clearly filler. Imagine Amnesiac with Cuttooth, Fog and Gagging Order.

In other news, this was recently dug up and posted on Green Plastic:

tumblr_l650bhAGds1qba23ho1_500.jpg

Weird, Danny, I too listened to Pablo Honey today. Just about the same time you did, in fact. I was told by a few people who knew what I liked by Radiohead that I was going to love this album and they were right. For the life of me I can't understand what all the hatred's about.

The Bends
Pablo Honey
OK Computer
Kid A

In Rainbows

Take that for a revered opinion.

I like Pablo Honey, even though a record exec probably had a hand in writing the lyrics. I hope so, anyway. I don't like to think that Thom is capable of How Do You.

In general I don't like "Creep", but enjoyed it in the album, "How Do You" is godawful, but "Stop Whispering", "Thinking About You", "Ripcord" and "Lurgee" more than made up for that.

Weird Fishes
Subterranean Homesick Alien
Pyramid Song
Black Star
Motion Picture Soundtrack
All I Need
Kid A
Airbag
Reckoner
Let Down

when's tea gonna be ready Mum :scream:

I still find it unbelievable that they could make a track like Street Spirit just two years after Pablo Honey.

I think that, if you cut two or three tracks from Hail to the Thief, it would contend for their best album. As it stands, it is a bit too long. I know that in other Radiohead threads, people have claimed that it is "too dark," but to me the mood is the incredible part about it. No other album that I have ever heard is as ominous as HttT. Unknown Pleasures perhaps comes close.

There is also an argument to be made that, had Amnesiac and HttT been released in a vacuum where no one had ever heard of Radiohead, both would have been endlessly lauded. This is probably the same case with Arcade Fire's Neon Bible: had it been their debut album, people would have been declaring it album of the year. But the weight of expectation for these types of bands skews how their albums are evaluated. The major difference between Radiohead and a band like Arcade Fire is that the former is consistently able not only to meet those expectations, but to surpass them.

Very, very cool. I think the background vocals will be layered even more nicely once studio magic is applied.

holy fuck please let this be released very soon.

is that The Gloaming playing throughout? i hate the studio version, but that sounds considerably better.

Back
Top Bottom