Radiohead Discussion Thread Part II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No, he's not an idiot at all. He's one of the most esteemed, influential, and open-minded critics in the history of music criticism.

Just because he's not partial to Radiohead doesn't make him an automatic fool.

We were discussing this in Random so I'll repost a link to a longer review of Hail to the Thief that isn't as catty and has a lot of sensible points (and I'm someone who loves the album):

Robert Christgau: No Hope Radio: Radiohead's "Hail to the Thief"

lollerbate.gif

No, he's not an idiot at all. He's one of the most esteemed, influential, and open-minded critics in the history of music criticism.

Just because he's not partial to Radiohead doesn't make him an automatic fool.

We were discussing this in Random so I'll repost a link to a longer review of Hail to the Thief that isn't as catty and has a lot of sensible points (and I'm someone who loves the album):

Robert Christgau: No Hope Radio: Radiohead's "Hail to the Thief"

As a music critic myself, I have to say that my least favorite reviews are those similar to the one listed above. It reads more as a philosophical argument than reviewing the actual album. He literally mentions only one song from Hail to the Thief, therefore as a reader, I wouldn't know whether this album's good or not (except for "Sit Down Stand Up").

Pitchfork has many reviews like this as well. Don't discuss the band's politics/philosophy/history if it doesn't have relevance on the music and definitely don't let those arguments overshadow the review of the actual music. That's what readers are looking for: whether it's worth the $10 or not.

I find the implication that any Pink Floyd album has a lot of "soul" downright hilarious. I enjoy quite a few Floyd albums, but I think they're about as soulless as any band in history.
until i started posting more frequently in this part of the forum, this was a criticism i'd never heard and one i certainly don't agree with. /bias?
I have this with almost every post in B&C.

you and me both...

Yes. The best criticism is something you usually can't even process until after you've heard the music/seen the movie, and works more as dialogue than as warning or cheerleading. I don't need someone to tell me whether it's worth $10 when it's something from an established artist.

From atease:

yes i'm still in shock. I've been a huge fan of radiohead for 15 years now...I went to see a band called Here We Go Magic on friday night in Paris, and he was there too...i took a deep breath and I said hi. He is extremely kind and friendly, we talked a bit because my band opened for Charlotte Gainsbourg the night before and he was there since he worked on her first album.

AND I said to him: "well i have to ask you something...Is the new album ready??" He laughed and said that Ed always do that kind of annoucement too early...apparently they worked a lot lately, and they're quite happy with the songs, but Nigel said that the record probably won't be out this year, though they'd like to. According to him it will be 2011. But everything's possible cause he said that everyone in the band would love to put it out as soon as possible.

i thought you 'd be happy to know that.

As a music critic myself, I have to say that my least favorite reviews are those similar to the one listed above. It reads more as a philosophical argument than reviewing the actual album. He literally mentions only one song from Hail to the Thief, therefore as a reader, I wouldn't know whether this album's good or not (except for "Sit Down Stand Up").

Pitchfork has many reviews like this as well. Don't discuss the band's politics/philosophy/history if it doesn't have relevance on the music and definitely don't let those arguments overshadow the review of the actual music. That's what readers are looking for: whether it's worth the $10 or not.

the Fork's review of Big Boi's solo debut is actually really good.

you and me both...

Give it a rest.

If I popped into the AFL thread I wouldn't know what the fuck you were all on about, but, I also wouldn't incessantly whine about it.

And usually it's just people, to couch it in terms you will most certainly understand, "taking the piss", which you are a fervent defender of, at least are when it best suits you.

Give it a rest.

If I popped into the AFL thread I wouldn't know what the fuck you were all on about, but, I also wouldn't incessantly whine about it.

And usually it's just people, to couch it in terms you will most certainly understand, "taking the piss", which you are a fervent defender of, at least are when it best suits you.

Damn! He ain't messin' with No Broke Broke (Cocks) after that.

Example Pitchfork criticism:

Today, I stared through the nearest window and into the clouds as I awaited the arrival of a plane that would take me to New York City, the creative and economic should-be capital of post-nationalism-worthy America. I was at gate C38, awkwardly toting a copy of Gravity's Rainbow, scanning the cover for the 401st time, while examining page 3 for the very first. At that very moment, I mused about the very first time the opening notes of Airbag scratched against my eardrums in a manner befitting such an aggressively anti-traditionalist record. I paralleled this with my experience with the table of contents kicking off Thomas Pynchon's masterpiece, as well as the unfortunate appearances of its respective authors. I then realized that the true beauty in this world is only contained in the unlikeliest of locations, such as the reflection of a grey, steely airplane wing or my bathroom mirror.

Abridged, helpful translation:

Thom makes good music even though his eye is lazy.

If there was, I think Rule #1 would be "Don't post something that isn't actual band news". This was an action taken by recording industry bureaucrats on behalf of a bunch of artists, without their knowledge, and has nothing to do with Radiohead.

If there was, I think Rule #1 would be "Don't post something that isn't actual band news". This was an action taken by recording industry bureaucrats on behalf of a bunch of artists, without their knowledge, and has nothing to do with Radiohead.

Thank you, most learned scholar of Radioheadology.

Back
Top Bottom