Radiohead – A Moon Shaped Pool

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't have strong enough negative feelings toward any track on AMSP to call it a least favorite. There's a lower tier of 7.5 or 8/10 songs, but that's it. It's one of their most consistently strong albums for sure.

Last edited:
Tinker Tailor is one of my favourites. The string-heavy ending and Ed's guitar work are fantastic.

Yeah, I agree with djerdap. Tinker Tailor takes a bit to get going, but the climactic string crescendo is one of the highlights of the album for me. Highly evocative.

True Love Waits is such a great song. The album version is gut-wrenching in a reflecting-on-love-lost kind of way, beautiful in its own right, and I can really feel Thom's pain, but the song originally was much more uplifting.

We all know the IMBW official live version from 2001, but check this out(I've shared this before, but just in case anyone missed it) - somebody basically superimposed a bunch of instrumentation over said official live version to create a pretty accurate(I think) and really fucking good approximation of what it would it might've sounded like had the band recorded for, say, The Bends. Some people in the comments there even prefer it to the album version.

That the song can be so effective in two completely different styles in two completely different emotional contexts is a testament to the quality at its core.

For a band who've done lots of very moving, evocative acoustic guitar pieces, I find the effort in that live version to be pretty generic and a bit boring to be perfectly honest. Muuuuuuuuuuuch prefer the piano.

Are you talking the official live version or the embellishment of it in my previous post(or both)? I wouldn't really agree with what you said about either but I'd understand your critique of the former; the added strings/guitar tones/synths in the latter kill me and give the song a Shuttlecock-circa-1987 type liftoff imo.

Gotcha. Yeah, the fan version picks up halfway through and adds a bunch of instrumentation. It may not be everyone's cup of tea, but I love it. You should give it a listen.

True Love Waits definitely got videotaped. The damage is not nearly as bad though; I still kind of like it, but I really miss that acoustic guitar.

After hearing the AMSP version, I haven't really had any desire to go back to the IMBW version. I've listened to the band's reimagining of it so many times that the song has been totally warped for me. A more "upbeat" take would feel disingenuous at this point.

True Love Waits definitely got videotaped. The damage is not nearly as bad though; I still kind of like it, but I really miss that acoustic guitar.

Correct me if I'm wrong but you also prefer the "rock" version of Kid A to the album version if I'm not mistaken, which is a verifiably wrong opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

"Rock" version. :lol:

The closest analogy I can think of about the Berlin 2000 version of Kid A is that it is to many Radiohead fans what something like ZooTV Bullet or R&H WOWY are to U2 fans. And I actually like it just as much as the studio version - I wouldn't say at this point that it is superior, only a different take on a masterful track.

I could just imagine somebody like yourself on a Radiohead forum spewing about "verifiably wrong opinions" on live versions of U2 songs that have enormous reputations here. That's how silly your stance is, apart from, you know, subjectivity and all that.

Last edited:
After hearing the AMSP version, I haven't really had any desire to go back to the IMBW version. I've listened to the band's reimagining of it so many times that the song has been totally warped for me. A more "upbeat" take would feel disingenuous at this point.

Same. I never quite understood the worship for the acoustic live versions; now it seems particularly clear that format prevented the song from achieving the atmosphere and depth of the AMSP version. Plus in general I think piano is an instrument well-suited to that type of forlorn mood.

I'm still having a hard time with this album. Objectively, I admire it as a collection of tracks (though I'm not sure how well they hang together apart from being on the same disc). Subjectively, I feel like I'm on the outside of a pane of glass looking in a good bit of the time.

Glass Eyes is a bit precious for mine; I'd like to like it more, but it left the tune back at the train station.

Ful Stop and Identikit do very much hold up for me six months later, very strong stuff, the former in particular is an utter monster. The 'broken hearts make it rain' middle section on the latter takes an interesting cast on this album version, some years after the song first surfaced (I'm not a muso, but the way the melody shifts slightly).

I have mixed feelings about The Numbers on a lyrical level (it could almost be called 'Nice Dream 2'), but it is so damn good on a musical level.

I love Tinker Tailor Soldier Sailor Fuckup. Nothing terribly insightful to say about it as I haven't a clue what he's on about, but interesting musically.

Burn The Witch is still pretty much my favourite; it's unusually to-the-point, jaunty yet menacing, which makes it, without being dumbed-down, a bona fide awesome pop song from Radiohead.

Last edited:
and here's me living in Australia for a year like an idiot!!

Also: Berlin 2000 version of kid a is the best.

I hope they'll be doing Werchter this year then.

Sent from my H60-L04 using U2 Interference mobile app

I hope so much they do some shows in the US besides NYC, LA, Chicago. Radiohead are the last big item on my bucket list of converts to see.

Open'er festival announced the same day as Glastonbury. Bodes well for other places. :hyper:

If all goes well, I'll be seeing them for the second time ever this summer. :drool: (please play Fake Plastic Trees Thom)

Correct me if I'm wrong but you also prefer the "rock" version of Kid A to the album version if I'm not mistaken, which is a verifiably wrong opinion.

YOu are the best Australian I know. Thank you for being a cool music fan person. Halloween is cool as is alcohol. I have typed meany embarrassing things to people tonight that I will be ashamed of tomorrow. Thank you for being cool music fan. I like music and this forum and music fans of this forum. Cobbz is good music fan.

I have to take this opportunity to say that Bones is one of my favourite 'early' Radiohead songs. It's got such a swagger to it, a neat little slowed-down twist on the old garage-rock style of song with its short sharp lyrical sprays.

Also apparently 'Sulk' was inspired by a late 1980s massacre undertaken by some fellow in England (but like a lot of back stories, that tidbit tells you precious little just based on the song itself, which I never took in that light at all, but ok).

Still don't like High & Dry or Fake Plastic Trees much, they're simply played out for me. There was a period through much of the late nineties to late 2000s when I would hear the latter on the radio probably six to eight times a week, 52 weeks a year. No song could survive that. Maybe "Heroes".

Last edited:
Speaking of "Heroes", I think that if someone put a gun to my head and said name the best song of all time, that's what I'd choose.

YOu are the best Australian I know. Thank you for being a cool music fan person. Halloween is cool as is alcohol. I have typed meany embarrassing things to people tonight that I will be ashamed of tomorrow. Thank you for being cool music fan. I like music and this forum and music fans of this forum. Cobbz is good music fan.

:) :) :) :) :)

European dates, woo but I return to England a month after the Manchester gigs! No aussie dates yet and they'll probably be this time next year or 2018...like U2 haha

Back
Top Bottom