Radiohead – A Moon Shaped Pool

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Speaking of Amnesiac, what I wouldn't give to see them crank out You And Whose Army or even Dollars and Cents.

I heard both during a festival set for the In Rainbows tour. They were fantastic. You and Whose Army? got a much better reception than Dollars & Cents from the crowd. But that may have been due to the latter's placement right after Paranoid Android.

'true love waits in haunted attics', is pretty much the line that makes it a special song, if you ask me.

Yes. The line absolutely crushes me. Paired with the piano and what sounds like rain gently tapping on a roof, it's one of the most desolate moments of their discography.

Which is why the next line bothers me so much, it takes me out of the song slightly

Therein lies the complexity of the verse; love is a beautiful AND potentially destructive force that people find in awful and wholesome places. What really drives home the verse and makes it that much more powerful is the musical arrangement of the song, what it was in its live form and what it became after a devastating period of Thom's life. What love gives and what love takes away.

Another one of my favorite songs taps into this duality, The Mountain Goats' "Love Love Love"

King Saul fell on his sword when it all went wrong
And Joseph's brothers sold him down the river for a song
And Sonny Liston rubbed some tiger balm into his glove
Some things you do for money and some you do for love, love, love

Raskolnikov felt sick, but he couldn't say why
When he saw his face reflected in his victim's twinkling eye
Some things you'll do for money and some you'll do for fun
But the things you do for love are going to come back to you one by one

Love, love is going to lead you by the hand
Into a white and soundless place
Now we see things as in a mirror, dimly
Then we shall see each other face to face

And way out in Seattle, young Kurt Cobain
Snuck out to the greenhouse, put a bullet in his brain
Snakes in the grass beneath our feet, rain in the clouds above
Some moments last forever, but some flare out with love, love, love

Last edited:
So Disclosure had to cancel due to a delayed flight from Chicago.

So they're giving Radiohead an extra half an hour! Woohoo!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using U2 Interference mobile app

Have fun, BoMac!

I never listen to it in the context of the record, but it was really fun live, and got one of the best reactions from the crowd. Very nice moment in the show.

I heard both during a festival set for the In Rainbows tour. They were fantastic. You and Whose Army? got a much better reception than Dollars & Cents from the crowd. But that may have been due to the latter's placement right after Paranoid Android.

Dollars & Cents is a hard song to pull off, I imagine. I personally love it to pieces, but the average joe's mileage may vary, especially when Thom is too coked up to really give a shit. I jest, I jest.

I wish they'd play more songs from that record. Go To Sleep, Where I End and You Begin and Wolf at the Door deserve a better live showing.

Only squares and losers got tickets to see Radiohead.

I say that sobbing uncontrollably, tears and snot flowing freely.

Have fun, bitch.

My sister in NYC got 8th row WASTE tickets to Shrine and last-minute VIP tickets to both MSG shows. Wtf. I'm glad I'm not much caring at the moment with other life priorities.

Ful Stop
Burn the Witch
Daydreaming
True Love Waits
Decks Dark
Identikit
Glass Eyes
The Numbers
Present Tense
Desert Island Disk
Tinker Tailor Soldier Sailor

Something like that. There's not a bad song on here though. Tinker Tailor starts slow but gets real good as it goes along.

I still really love this record. I think it stands up with the best of their work - OKC, Kid A, IR. I particularly love the string arrangements all over, they give the record a very cinematic quality that keeps drawing me back to it.

Daydreaming has grown on me...I always liked it, but I love it now. It is evocative and haunting and stirring. Thom has rarely been this nakedly vulnerable in his songwriting.

If you care about alternate running orders...

1. Burn The Witch
2. Identikit
3. Ful Stop
4. Decks Dark
5. Desert Island Disk
6. Glass Eyes
7. Present Tense
8. The Numbers
9. Spectre
10. Tinker Tailor
11. Daydreaming
12. True Love Waits

I think it works pretty well. Keeps the momentum going after BTW, the songs with the heavier string arrangements are kept together, and Daydreaming works really well between Tinker Tailor and TLW.

Still struggling over whether to get the standard vinyl or the special edition. The artwork looks really cool on the special edition, but I don't know if it's $86 worth of cool. I'd probably look at it once and then it would collect dust like my NLOTH deluxe edition. But it looks cool. Also, the special edition appears to be the only way to get the second bonus track, whatever it is. If they don't also make that track available on its own on iTunes, that would suck.

Will decide soon.

I haven't listened to the album in quite a while, guess I need to change that.

I haven't listened to it since it came out. Not sure why, I listened long enough to satisfy myself it was a solid record and then shelved it. Maybe it's just not the music I want in my life right now.

It's not them (well, it is a little bit), it's me.

Yeah for a new Radiohead album, one of my favorite bands, I'm surprised by how little I've listened to this album.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's my most played album of the year. Then the new Kendrick, Avalanches and Car Seat Headrest.

It's an odd one, I go in periods with it, sometimes I don't even think about it for a week or so and then I'll spend a whole day or two with it, like I did yesterday. It's very good, I'm just not sure it sticks (to me) like In Rainbows did.

I'd say The Life of Pablo is comfortably my most played album of the year.

Yeah, I feel weird, I just realized I haven't listened to the new album since whenever it was released. Maybe June.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Back
Top Bottom