Radiohead – A Moon Shaped Pool

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'd put myself out there again but I'm pretty content on being dead inside.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

So is this it for their tour? Or is this kind of a warm up leg before adding more cities?

Of course not, they've got a whole US tour later this summer, where they're playing ... (checking notes) ... seven total shows in five cities!

"The Numbers" has grown on me more than any other track. It was one of my least favorites when the album first came out and now I'm loving it.

So I had my best listen to the album tonight. But I think I've worked out the reason why I'm just not connecting with it as much as I would have liked.

It is so sad. So depressing. We all know Radiohead have trod this ground before; social isolation bleeds so strongly in OK Computer and Kid A.

But I think this is their (read, Thom Yorke's) most personal album. I think Burn the Witch and The Numbers are the only songs that aren't about relationship breakdown and loss. And I'm really struggling to relate to the sadness of all the other songs. By and large, they are really, really beautiful, but musically they're worms and lyrically I'm not in the same space.

But as I said, this was my best listen. Burn the Witch is brilliant. Daydreaming is one of their most beautiful songs. Desert Island Disk is Radiohead doing Nick Drake, who could hate that? Ful Stop fucking rules. Glass Eyes is incredibly, if darkly, gorgeous. Identikit contains some truly phenomenal and unique guitar work from Jonny. Present Tense is all In Rainbows, the shuffling drum line, the menacing folk guitar, Thom's moan and the guitar line that intertwines with the hi-hat drums. And then there's True Love Waits, which can be spoken of in the same sentence as Street Spirit, Motion Picture Soundtrack and Videotape.

I hope I'll get there. And I hope to get there without something bad happening.

Present Tense has been the real grower for me. It has such soft instrumentation and a lovely melody, but the lyrics are some of the most personal that Thom's ever written, using a dance as a metaphor for everything that people do to keep depressing truths at bay. Their daily routine. I can imagine the "dance" of the song functioning as a stand in for Radiohead itself, with Thom escaping his troubles by pouring himself into his work.

AMSP definitely sounds better if you've had one of these happen to you:

tIFlTn.gif

But I think Thom did a terrific job of making the lyrics apply to very broad and general regrets, interpersonal struggles, etc. There are many statements and decisions I've made that I wish I could take back and I relate to much of what Thom is singing about on this record, despite keeping a marriage reasonably stable for 5 years now.

If the album isn't clicking for you at the moment, I think it will in time. It's a labor of love from skilled musicians and has great songs and production no matter what, but that one day will come where everything comes crashing down and you'll need A Moon Shaped Pool. I had one of those before my third listen. I had a really bad setback with my anxiety the day before and was feeling extremely down. Dead of night, nobody to talk to, just a new Radiohead record to explore. True Love Waits will always be one of my favorite songs because of that one special listen.

There's this really terrific review of the album on RateYourMusic that's extremely moving and illustrates what this still very new album has already meant to listeners. Here's a link:

http://rateyourmusic.com/collection/BtC/rating77919508

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom