Radiohead – A Moon Shaped Pool

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think I've heard Just covered live a few times, so I'd go with that.

Randomly browsing radiohead albums on wikipedia, and every album from Kid A to AMSP peaked at number 2 in Australia.

Keep tryin' kid (A). Maybe next time they'll crack the big one.

Of course, a lot of how that last album came together, and the age of a lot of the material, makes me doubtful that there will be another Radiohead album. I might be wrong.:sexywink:

As for those four-track runs, I'd take Lotus Flower / Codex / Give Up the Ghost / Separator over all of those. The National Anthem & How to Disappear aren't as good as Right Place & Kid A, Faust Arp brings down the Rainbows run (those other three songs are all in my top 10 :drool: ).

Agreed with you on this, Cobbs. Though I do think Faust ARP is a fine song.

I still think KoL is an excellent record. Replace Feral with The Butcher and tag Supercollider onto the end and it's in the same conversation as their other great albums.

Amnesiac is so glitchy and introverted. It's a very insular record. I totally get your point about You & Whose Army (and that part does go off live) but I fucking hated Amnesiac for a long time. I like it now but quite a few of its songs still leave me cold.

Odd you would say this because here's Yorke on the difference between the albums:

"Something traumatic is happening in Kid A, and this is looking back at it, trying to piece together what has happened." About the differences with the previous record he says: "I think the artwork is the best way of explaining it. The artwork to Kid A was all in the distance. The fires were all going on the other side of the hill. With Amnesiac, you're actually in the forest while the fire's happening."

For me, Amnesiac is a little warmer, a little more personal. It's not as "clean", per your "glitchy" description, but that doesn't make it insular, IMO.

As for those four-track runs, I'd take Lotus Flower / Codex / Give Up the Ghost / Separator over all of those. The National Anthem & How to Disappear aren't as good as Right Place & Kid A, Faust Arp brings down the Rainbows run (those other three songs are all in my top 10 :drool: ).

I have to agree here. But it's Side 1 that's the problem with TKOL for many, outside of Bloom.

Personally, I think if you like Kid A, you’ll find your way through Amnesiac and KOL. Both have their moments of accessibility and inaccessibility. Your mileage varies on which you like better. I’m more in Amnesiac’s camp than KOL, though the latter’s second half is great.

Regarding the best four-song run, I’d argue for Bodysnatchers/Nude/Weird Fishes/All I Need. Those are all favorites of mine.

Yeah HG I think you'll like AMSP. It's a significant step up from TKOL. I can't remember the last time I listened to TKOL front to back, though I do adore its second half. I would rate it above only Pablo Honey probably, maybe Amnesiac. It's really short and a bit unfulfilling. AMSP on the other hand is a gorgeous, beautiful, eclectic, diverse, wonderful record.

In defense of TKOL, remember the free poster you got when you bought the CD? It's hanging on the wall in my dining room. It's nice.

One disappointment of this Radiohead tour is that I can't go to both shows, because they are mixing up the setlist a lot. Only three songs have been played at all of the first 8 shows.

Daydreaming, Ful Stop, and Idioteque.

Well, I FINALLY was able to see Radiohead last night in Columbus on 7/23. Absolutely unreal. There is NOTHING else like it. It wasn't so much a concert with people jumping around and singing along, like U2. It was just 15,000 awe-struck people completely mesmerized by those 6 mad scientists somehow doing what they do. For several reasons, I cannot make the Cincinnati show tomorrow night. It's going to be hard knowing that they'll be less than 2 hours from my house playing again. Especially because we don't know when/if they'll be back this way. But the biggest name on my concert bucket list has finally been checked off... I hope to see them again!

It's still all such a blur, but highlights that stand out at the moment are;
- The way that "Exit Music" swelled and swelled until it felt as though the whole arena could explode from pure awesomeness at any second.
- Idoteque- My mind was blown
- Let Down, my favorite Radiohead song
- WOLF AT THE DOOR! I really was hoping to hear this one, even though I knew there was no chance as they hadn't played it in 6 years.
- Weird Fishes

I reckon I can name maybe seven times in my life where my body has collapsed from emotion when a band have started playing a particular song. Weird Fishes/Arpeggi, Running to Stand Still, Kite, Bad, Streets, Jungleland and Da Art of Storytellin, pt. 1.

Well, I FINALLY was able to see Radiohead last night in Columbus on 7/23. Absolutely unreal. There is NOTHING else like it. It wasn't so much a concert with people jumping around and singing along, like U2. It was just 15,000 awe-struck people completely mesmerized by those 6 mad scientists somehow doing what they do.

Totally agree. No beer runs or much talking at the shows I saw, just a rapt intensity all around me.

- The way that "Exit Music" swelled and swelled until it felt as though the whole arena could explode from pure awesomeness at any second.

Yes!! A definite highlight for me.

- WOLF AT THE DOOR! I really was hoping to hear this one, even though I knew there was no chance as they hadn't played it in 6 years.
- Weird Fishes

I'd have loved to have heard Wolf at the Door. I don't think I've heard it live before but I'm not sure. I love Weird Fishes but I didn't expect it to be so breathtaking live.

:love:

I'm going to leave this here from my favorite contemporary jazz pianist. It's such a wonderful rendition.

Was there too, can confirm. Only complaints:

1. No "National Anthem", though they apparently did that the night before.
2. NOTHing from Amnesiac (only other album unrepresented was Pablo). F that.

But great fucking show with great end-of-tour vibe.

Was there too, can confirm. Only complaints:

1. No "National Anthem", though they apparently did that the night before.
2. NOTHing from Amnesiac (only other album unrepresented was Pablo). F that.

But great fucking show with great end-of-tour vibe.
Yeah, on your second note, they played Pyramid Song and I Might Be Wrong the previous night. Simply a ton of material for them to cover, they weren't going to be able to get everything into a 25 song set. I have no complaints.

Back
Top Bottom