Radiohead – A Moon Shaped Pool

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I fucking love this band.

I want to have babies with the setlist I got tonight. No Fake Plastic Trees (or two other live staples - Everything In Its Right Place and There There - but damn this was incredible. 5 songs - 5! - from my favorite album of all time, Kid A. How To Disappear Completely! And I got to hear Paranoid Android for the first time.

They are so incredible live every fucking time. I love them.

Oh and this version of Lotus Flower destroys.

This is how you remain relevant well into your third decade as a band. Take note, you know who.

:) :) :) :)

I'm so fucking jealous.

How good is Kid A live, by the way. Assuming they're still playing it the way they did on the last tour with Thom on vocoder. That's in my Radiohead Rushmore.

I fucking love this band.

I want to have babies with the setlist I got tonight. No Fake Plastic Trees (or two other live staples - Everything In Its Right Place and There There - but damn this was incredible. 5 songs - 5! - from my favorite album of all time, Kid A. How To Disappear Completely! And I got to hear Paranoid Android for the first time.

They are so incredible live every fucking time. I love them.

Oh and this version of Lotus Flower destroys.

This is how you remain relevant well into your third decade as a band. Take note, you know who.

Basically how I feel about the shows I saw. I’m thinking these might have been my favorite of the Radiohead shows I’ve seen but I probably say that after each one because they’re always that incredible. But these setlists can’t get much better.

Kid A was one of the highlights of the show. It was a happier version than the recording, if that makes sense. I don't think Thom was using a vocoder.

There's a video from Chicago:

Last edited:
Basically how I feel about the shows I saw. I’m thinking these might have been my favorite of the Radiohead shows I’ve seen but I probably say that after each one because they’re always that incredible. But these setlists can’t get much better.

The last few Radiohead shows I saw had a few too many King of Limb songs to my liking, and tended to overlook the OK Computer/Kid A eras too much. This setlist was just the perfect balance of everything that makes them great. I don't think I've been happier with any setlist of any concert I've ever seen, to be honest.

Kid A was one of the highlights of the show. It was a happier version than the recording, if that makes sense. I don't think Them was using a vocoder.

There's a video from Chicago:

That's a good way to describe it. It took me a while to even recognize it at the show that you linked there.

The last few Radiohead shows I saw had a few too many King of Limb songs to my liking, and tended to overlook the OK Computer/Kid A eras too much. This setlist was just the perfect balance of everything that makes them great. I don't think I've been happier with any setlist of any concert I've ever seen, to be honest.

All of this.

How did you like Nude? I thought it was other worldly. There was a huge collective gasp when he hit and held that note.

How did you like Nude? I thought it was other worldly. There was a huge collective gasp when he hit and held that note.

Otherworldly is the perfect way to describe it. I also felt that they had some kind of sound effect during the bridge, which made it even more ethereal. And yes, that crescendo leading into "for what your dirty mind is thinking" was incredible.

The Tourist was sooo pretty too. I can't pick a favorite moment from this show.

I hear you, cobbler. I have to say, this show was exactly what I needed. I had a big emotional roller-coaster this week, and the show came at the right time to make me feel better.

Also: did At Ease really die?

Last edited:
Otherworldly is the perfect way to describe it. I also felt that they had some kind of sound effect during the bridge, which made it even more ethereal. And yes, that crescendo leading into "for what your dirty mind is thinking" was incredible.

I'm jealous of this bc Nude is probably my favorite Radiohead song. If I had heard any combination of that, Reckoner, and Lotus Flower the set would have been close to perfect for me.

Saw them last night as well and fully agree with everything gump said. Incredible set and performance. I got hear my favorite song by them, How to Disappear Completely, plus a bunch of other tracks from Kid A. Then there’s Let Down, The Tourist, Nude, versions of Ful Stop and Lotus Flower that fucking ripped, and closing it all with The Bends!

Plus, Paranoid Android Into Idioteque is soooo good!

I love this band.

I think the best part of both shows was the crowd reaction in No Surprises, when they get to "bring down the government, they don't speak for us" (oh, and the night before they dedicated The Numbers "to the people in the corporate boxes").

Also - and I'm not exaggerating - Radiohead played as many different songs in the two shows I saw as U2 played during the entire leg of their tour.

FAKE PLASTIC TREES, joyful!!!

Last edited:
I think the best part of both shows was the crowd reaction in No Surprises, when they get to "bring down the government, they don't speak for us" (oh, and the night before they dedicated The Numbers "to the people in the corporate boxes").

I meant to say something about that, too. It was slightly more restrained in Chicago than I imagine it was in NYC, but there was a definite response! In fact, I was kind of amazed by how many lyrics from older songs speak to the current moment.

Also - and I'm not exaggerating - Radiohead played as many different songs in the two shows I saw as U2 played during the entire leg of their tour.

I feel confident saying this is absolutely true without looking it up.

FAKE PLASTIC TREES, joyful!!!

:applaud: Isn't it just incredible live? I'm so glad you got it!!

I'm still reeling from these epic shows - not to keep rubbing it in for people who didn't get to see them this time. I wish they'd have done a proper US tour. And AUSTRALIA.

:applaud: Isn't it just incredible live? I'm so glad you got it!!

I'm still reeling from these epic shows - not to keep rubbing it in for people who didn't get to see them this time. I wish they'd have done a proper US tour. And AUSTRALIA.

Insanely good. That moment the electric guitars kick in. Wow.

And yes, I shall stop posting! Hope people in other places get to see this tour.

Listening to this album in full for the first time since shortly after it came out two years ago. My friend and brother went to the show on Wednesday night and were predictably blown away. Wish I were seeing them in Philly.

A Moon Shaped Pool is a masterpiece and one of their finest works, which is saying a lot. It's one of those albums whose focus and flawless execution will lead to even greater appreciation over the years, especially with its harrowing context.

It really unlocked a level of pathos in their music that always hung around, but in an almost theoretical sense. Now, that melancholy feels very real and potent. The same evolution has taken place with the music of Mount Eerie following the death of his wife.

It's also incredible to me how they managed to recontextualize all of those old songs to fit a new chapter in their lives. Godrich did a superb job with them as always.

Last edited:
Definitely agree with all that Lemel.

After the somewhat disappointing (for Radiohead standards) King of Limbs, A Moon Shaped Pool exceeded my expectations in every way. One of my favorite albums this decade

It's a tremendous record. I haven't listened to it a great deal, I think because I'm just not so sad anymore lol, but I'd comfortably say that it's firmly in the conversation with In Rainbows, OKC, Kid A and I guess The Bends, though I'd rate it above that.

In Rainbows
~
OK Computer
Kid A / A Moon Shaped Pool
~
The Bends / Hail to the Thief
Amnesiac
The King of Limbs
~
Pablo Honey

Nice setlist tonight(via setlist.fm)

Daydreaming
Desert Island Disk
Ful Stop
15 Step
Lucky
Videotape
Like Spinning Plates
Let Down
Climbing Up the Walls
Everything in Its Right Place
Bloom
Separator
Reckoner
Fake Plastic Trees
How to Disappear Completely
Kid A
Myxomatosis

Encore:

Airbag
The National Anthem
The Gloaming
Idioteque
Bodysnatchers

Encore 2:

Nude
Paranoid Android
The Bends

Bends: 2(Fake Plastic Trees, The Bends)
OKC: 5(Airbag, Paranoid Android, Let Down, Climbing Up The Walls, Lucky)
Kid A: 5(Everything, Kid A, National Anthem, How To Disappear, Idioteque)
Amnesiac: 1(Like Spinning Plates)
HTTT: 2(The Gloaming, Myxamatosis)
IR: 5(15 Step, Bodysnatchers, Nude, Reckoner, Videotape)
KOL: 2(Bloom, Separator)
AMSP: 3(Daydreaming, Desert Island Disk, Ful Stop)

Two bends tracks, five OKC tracks including Lucky, Like Spinning Plates.

Not sure why the Gloaming is being played so much though.

It's a tremendous record. I haven't listened to it a great deal, I think because I'm just not so sad anymore lol, but I'd comfortably say that it's firmly in the conversation with In Rainbows, OKC, Kid A and I guess The Bends, though I'd rate it above that.

In Rainbows
~
OK Computer
Kid A / A Moon Shaped Pool
~
The Bends / Hail to the Thief
Amnesiac
The King of Limbs
~
Pablo Honey

HAHAHAHA your #1 is IN LAMEBLOWS!!

#lance

1. Amnesiac
2. The Bends
3. In Rainbows
4. OK Computer
5. Hail to the Thief
6. A Moon Shaped Pool (sic)
7. Kid A
8. The King of Limbs
9. Parachutes
10. Pablo Honey

HTTT gets the edge slightly over Pool because it finishes stronger, IMO. Don't get all the effusive praise for True Love Waits and I also think it's lame to end on a 15 year old song. :shrug:

Kid A is an impressive work but I resent it for getting all the credit U2 never receives for Zooropa and Passengers, and the drooling fans of this album who think it's the greatest, most original thing ever recorded sends me into a rage. As an overall listening experience it's cool but for me the songs just aren't there. How To Disappear bores the fuck out of me and I think Idiotheque is overrated. Everything In Its Right Place is the only all-timer on here for me.

As far as the sacred cow OK Computer being so "low", I just prefer the greater variety on Rainbows and Amnesiac, and The Bends just has more of an emotional impact on me. I'll take Fake Plastic Trees, Bulletproof, and Black Star over everything on OK.

Come at me

HAHAHAHA your #1 is IN LAMEBLOWS!!

#lance

1. Amnesiac
2. The Bends
3. In Rainbows
4. OK Computer
5. Hail to the Thief
6. A Moon Shaped Pool (sic)
7. Kid A
8. The King of Limbs
9. Parachutes
10. Pablo Honey

HTTT gets the edge slightly over Pool because it finishes stronger, IMO. Don't get all the effusive praise for True Love Waits and I also think it's lame to end on a 15 year old song. :shrug:

Kid A is an impressive work but I resent it for getting all the credit U2 never receives for Zooropa and Passengers, and the drooling fans of this album who think it's the greatest, most original thing ever recorded sends me into a rage. As an overall listening experience it's cool but for me the songs just aren't there. How To Disappear bores the fuck out of me and I think Idiotheque is overrated. Everything In Its Right Place is the only all-timer on here for me.

As far as the sacred cow OK Computer being so "low", I just prefer the greater variety on Rainbows and Amnesiac, and The Bends just has more of an emotional impact on me. I'll take Fake Plastic Trees, Bulletproof, and Black Star over everything on OK.

Come at me

You state one opinion that I very much agree with, and another that I couldn't possibly disagree with more.

The former: For all the brilliance on OKC, Kid A, IR, etc, Fake Plastic Trees may well still be their "Stairway". The melody, the performance, the emotion...there's something so simple but so powerful about it.

The latter: It's well known on here that you have no love for How To Disappear, but count me as one that considers it Kid A's high point. One of the more devastating songs I can think of.

I can never properly rank RH albums because it's too fucking hard.

yeah it's so lame that his wife and mother of his children died and they finally put it on tape

Well if you know the timeline, the song was likely put on the album because of their divorce, not as a reaction to her dying, which didn't happen until 7 months after the album came out, therefore maybe a year after they decided to re-record and include it?

It ultimately makes the song more tragic in retrospect, but it's not as powerful to me as a fair number of other emotional RH tracks. I don't really care for Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own either, and that's LITERALLY written as a reaction to the death of Bono's father.

If you wanted to make a legit argument, it should be "yeah it's so lame that a song written at the beginning of Yorke's relationship is finally recorded and released after it ended, and this full circle journey is what makes it so poignant".

Back
Top Bottom