Radiohead – A Moon Shaped Pool

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sat down with my limited edition/deluxe vinyl tonight. It's fucking gorgeous. Of all the vinyl I own, it's very close to being the most beautiful, up there with Flying Lotus' Until the Quiet Comes.

It has lyrics, too. Glass Eyes is not only the most slept-on song on this record but one of Radiohead's most underrated songs, period. A panic attack in two-and-a-half minutes. And then you have Present Tense, whose entire existence is about fighting off an imminent panic attack by blindly pretending everything is fine and okay, if you just keep dancing.

I wouldn't add or subtract anything from AMSP. It's expertly crafted and complete. OK Computer and Kid A are the only other Radiohead albums I would say that about.

Last edited:
I disagree. Burn the Witch is an incredible song but it's totally incongruous. It makes very little sense on the album, and the same can be said for The Numbers, although it makes more sense musically.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I want to see more love for Glass Eyes. Anyone?

"I feel this love to the core" is every bit as devastating as "immerse your soul in love".

It was my favorite from the album on first listen, and has stayed high up there since. The bubbling electronics at the beginning are mesmerizing.

For some reason I associate it as a more sedate version of Adele's "Hello," maybe because of the first few lines in that confessional style.

I disagree. Burn the Witch is an incredible song but it's totally incongruous. It makes very little sense on the album, and the same can be said for The Numbers, although it makes more sense musically.

Lol you act like Burn the Witch is a Motley Crue song that accidentally got tacked on.

On album full of songs with string accompaniment and anxiety on the verge of bubbling over, it's a song driven by insistent strings and paranoia. It's an amazing opener for AMSP that raises the stakes and sets the stage for what's to follow.

Last edited:
I honestly think Lotus Flower - Codex - Give up the Ghost might be the best trio in their catalogue.

1. Airbag-Paranoid Android-Subterranean Homesick Alien

2. Nude-Weird Fishes/Arpeggi-All I Need

3. Burn the Witch-Daydreaming-Decks Dark

4. Everything in Its Right Place-Kid A-The National Anthem

Last edited:
I love the last two but wouldn't put Myxo up there with my favorites.

Planet Telex-The Bends-High and Dry is a pretty memorable run as well, probably among their most beloved, but High and Dry is surprisingly divisive.

Maybe if you'd said Codex / Give Up the Ghost / Separator iYup I'd be more inclined to agree. Lotus Flower is overrated.

Honestly I'd put the last 3 tracks of HTTT up there with those.

Myxomatosis, Scatterbrained, Wolf at the Door

There is no Radiohead song called "Scatterbrained". Not sure if you're talking about "Scatterbrain", the very underrated penultimate track from HTTT, but there's no Radiohead song called "Scatterbrained".

Fucking idiot.

Planet Telex-The Bends-High and Dry is a pretty memorable run as well, probably among their most beloved, but High and Dry is surprisingly divisive.

You could shift that one forward and exchange Planet Telex for Fake Plastic Trees.

High and Dry is great, if a little basic compared to their other ballads.

I'll go with the Kid A trio that LM suggested.

I think the OKC trio I'd choose is Exit Music-Let Down-Karma Police.

Honestly I'd put the last 3 tracks of HTTT up there with those.

Myxomatosis, Scatterbrained, Wolf at the Door

Good on you for mentioning HTTT. That's a great trio. I'd also mention There There-I Will-Punchup, though I suspect I will not get much agreement on that due to the unfair maligning of the gorgeous I Will.

I'll go with the Kid A trio that LM suggested.

I think the OKC trio I'd choose is Exit Music-Let Down-Karma Police.

I was going to post exactly this. May very well be my favorite three-strong stretch.

Lucky-No Surprises-The Tourist is also great.

As for AMSP, I think Identikit-The Numbers-Present Tense is a great one.

1. Everything in Its Right Place / Kid A / The National Anthem
2. No Surprises / Lucky / The Tourist
3. Bodysnatchers / Nude / Weird Fishes/Arpeggi

My main issue with Amnesiac is that it never gets into a groove where I enjoy all the tracks over a 3-4 song stretch, but that probably is the closest it gets.

I've never really been a fan of Knives Out though. One of the weaker Radiohead singles.

3. Bodysnatchers / Nude / Weird Fishes/Arpeggi

Not sure how anyone would go with Bodysnatchers over All I Need, but there you have it.

My main issue with Amnesiac is that it never gets into a groove where I enjoy all the tracks over a 3-4 song stretch, but that probably is the closest it gets.

I've never really been a fan of Knives Out though. One of the weaker Radiohead singles.

I love Amnesiac (still my favorite RH album), but I don't totally disagree. I couldn't find a single stretch myself to compete with the others mentioned, and if I had to pick one it would probably be the first three tracks: Packt, Pyramid, Pulk/Pull.

It's a case of the weakest tracks being in-between the strongest ones.

I know Grammy/awards mean bugger all but seeing the list of nominees for album of the year just goes to show how much it's a record industry circle jerk.

Just embarrassed with myself that I got wrapped up in it back when U2 were up for all those awards in the early 2000s. As an artist, can any of these awards mean anything at all?

Are you telling me anyone in the world who claims to know a thing or two about music thinks Bieber is more deserving of AOTY than Radiohead?

Back
Top Bottom