Radiohead – A Moon Shaped Pool

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My very late 2 cents.

I like this album a lot. I don't love it yet, but that may happen. The two words that come to mind when I listen to it are "rich" and "melancholy." The layers of music are so rich that it takes a while to get all of it; the timings and rhythms are really amazing.

It has a melancholy sound. Even if you don't know the back story, you can hear the sadness in all of it.

Burn the Witch is stunning every time I hear it. Thom's vocal performance is astonishing, really. The other songs I liked right away are Desert Island Disk and Identikit. The Numbers takes me by surprise each time, though, so maybe that one will make the list.

I leave tomorrow for 23 days on the road. I plane to spend a lot of those days with this album.

There's something quite beguiling about The Numbers. It just popped into my head today. A bit of a sleeper. The piano is wonderful. I love the jazzy notes during the intro before the acoustic guitar comes in, and the more bold da-da-da notes towards the end, could easily be a TV show theme song, the way it ends, reminds me a bit of how House used Teardrop.

There's something quite beguiling about The Numbers. It just popped into my head today. A bit of a sleeper. The piano is wonderful. I love the jazzy notes during the intro before the acoustic guitar comes in, and the more bold da-da-da notes towards the end, could easily be a TV show theme song, the way it ends, reminds me a bit of how House used Teardrop.

One of my 2 or 3 favorites. Maybe my favorite period. Great description.

No, not ever. On the album.

Oddly, I couldn't hum it for you even after hearing the album 10 times or so. Same goes for a few other tracks.

But every time I do listen to it that one really stands out.

It has come to this: me refreshing StubHub to find a reasonably priced ticket for tonight. No luck so far, but prices seem to be coming down. Cheapest is still $150 for a lateral seat with possibly partial view.

Looking forward to tonight's and tomorrow night's shows! I have been purposely avoiding feeds nor doing a lot of setlist peeping so I can experience things fresh. Chillin' with a seat in Sec 223 over Ed tonight and have a GA tomorrow, am aiming for a rail spot since I am short. :)

For those going, have a blast at the shows tonight and tomorrow!

And I agree with Laz: I've listened to the album so many times by this point and still couldn't hum a couple of the tracks or recall a melody to hang my hat on, but I still enjoy the songs a lot.

oh wow. how long has it been since they played that?

one of my favorites off OKC

I ended up spending more money than I should have, but I'm going tonight.

I've always assumed that it's never been played a ton because a lot of what makes it "work" on the album are vocal harmonies if Thom's voice that they can't replicate live.

Whether or not that is the true reason, I have no idea.

Regardless, it's probably the Radiohead song that won me over back in the '90's. I can strangely even remember where I was and what I was doing at the moment it won me over.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Damn, this was worth every cent. The setlist was almost perfect for my Radiohead tastes: my favorite songs off In Rainbows (Weird Fishes, Reckoner), HTTT (There There, The Gloaming), Amnesiac (Pyramid Song), Kid A (Everything In Its Right Place, Idioteque), OKC (Let Down) and even Pablo Honey (Creep). And My Iron Lung and Planet Telex. Oh, and Climbing Up the Walls. Loved it.

I had a mixed reaction to the new songs. Loved Ful Stop, Identikit and The Numbers. Really incredible. But Burn the With, and to a lesser extent The Dreaming were a bit underwhelming in their live arrangements. It could have been a sound issue at the arena, though, I was pretty far up.

Last edited:
Ed has stated that the guitar arpeggios are difficult to play in Let Down. That and the harmonies from the record being almost impossible to replicate (although I wish they would give Ed a chance there) make it something of a rarity, since it was played only a handful of times since the OK Computer Tour, all in 2006. Judging from the band's reactions from last night, they are aware it's an enormous fan favourite.

Thom's vocals sounded pretty good. I hope it goes back into rotation and doesn't get the Subterranean Homesick Alien treatment, which seems to surface every once in awhile for a couple of times before it vanishes again.

Back
Top Bottom