Radiohead – A Moon Shaped Pool - Page 10 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-09-2016, 11:15 PM   #136
She's the One
 
martha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Orange County and all over the goddam place
Posts: 41,818
Local Time: 04:29 AM
Best new music, people.

 
I had to ask once, too.
__________________

__________________
martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 11:38 PM   #137
A childless dog
 
LemonMelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hollywoo
Posts: 64,349
Local Time: 04:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by u2popmofo View Post
True Love Waits got BNM-ed, haterz.
"new"
__________________

__________________


Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 12:41 AM   #138
Blue Crack Supplier
 
lazarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 35,928
Local Time: 04:29 AM
"best"
__________________
lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 03:23 AM   #139
Blue Crack Addict
 
GirlsAloudFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Chicago
Posts: 24,787
Local Time: 06:29 AM
Did Phanan write Desert Island Disk?

__________________
GirlsAloudFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 03:52 AM   #140
Blue Crack Addict
 
GirlsAloudFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Chicago
Posts: 24,787
Local Time: 06:29 AM
The album is richly melodic and deep and dark and sad and scary. I think it's great.
I wanted to give a few little notes here as I like to do sometimes after a few listens.

No surprise whatsoever that Burn The Witch was the first thing they wanted people to hear from this. It's the most immediately infectious track here with that ear-catching lead string part.

Daydreaming is lovely. And what a tweaked out ending.

Colin's bass on Decks Dark! Yes! What an awesome bass tone he has.

Love the guitar playing in Desert Island Disk. Very unlike typical Radiohead guitar playing. Had almost a Spanish guitar style in parts. Reminds me of how unique and out of left field (for them) the guitar playing is on Gagging Order. Which we all know is an all-time classic. Different types of love are possible.

The two note synth sound that's prominent in Ful Stop is fucking frightening. Sounds like it could score a horror movie.

Glass Eyes draws me in with, again, the kinda atypical (for Radiohead) lyrical style. Sounds like he's leaving a message to someone over the phone?

IDENTIKIT IS MY FAVORITE SONG ON THE ALBUM. THIS SHIT KICKS ASS. JONNY GREENWOOD.

I apologize for this but I think Thom sounds exactly like Bono on the "wings of a butterfly" line in The Numbers.

"Tinker Tailor..." (hilarious song title by the way) seems to be influenced by the head space they were in when composing a James Bond movie theme song. It has that cinematic quality. Looooooooove the drums toward the end of this track.

True Love Waits is a song that we all have known for years. It's an awesome song. It's weird that it's on this album but it fits sonically in this reworked form. Sounds even sadder than the original version.

Radiohead is the shit.
__________________
GirlsAloudFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 04:05 AM   #141
A childless dog
 
LemonMelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hollywoo
Posts: 64,349
Local Time: 04:29 AM
Radiohead – A Moon Shaped Pool

Looking into it more, it's not weird that True Love Waits is on here at all...it (or at least this arrangement) and Daydreaming (which has a double meaning with some global warming themes) have apparently been confirmed as being inspired by Thom's divorce. 23 years, man.

True Love Waits was not originally a breakup song, it was more a rumination on love in general, but Thom pleading "just don't leave" takes on a whole new meaning now, especially 9 songs after he sings "and it's too late, the damage is done," which is really the first time we get the impression that something is wrong.

There are vague references to feeling lost, confused and full of regret all over the album: "You really messed up everything/if you could take it all back again" on Ful Stop, "Totally alive/Totally released/Waking, waking up from shutdown/From a thousand years of sleep" on Desert Island Disk, etc. The backwards speech on Daydreaming is also saying "half my life," probably in reference to his marriage; he is 47 now.

I wouldn't have guessed we were in for a breakup album after Burn the Witch premiered, but apparently this album is somehow even sadder than the its atmosphere implies.
__________________


Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 04:35 AM   #142
A childless dog
 
LemonMelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hollywoo
Posts: 64,349
Local Time: 04:29 AM
Radiohead – A Moon Shaped Pool

Fuck, this album is sinking in now. Seriously, I hope Thom is OK. I don't mean that in a "is Bono OK" sort of way. He looks like fucking shit in the Daydreaming video and three of these songs reference anxiety attacks.

The lyrics of Glass Eyes, my God. Perfect description of depression after a breakup. The video for Daydreaming actually fits this track perfectly.

Hearing TLW after the overarching concept of the album had dawned on me...I haven't been so emotionally rocked by a song since returning to Blackstar and discovering everything Bowie had left for us. For those of us who have always loved the original and appreciated it as one of the few relatively hopeful Radiohead songs, this new version is basically Thom telling his audience that love is a lie and everything is hopeless. And that's the last word we get.
__________________


Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 06:40 AM   #143
Blue Crack Addict
 
phanan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: in the darkness on the edge of town
Posts: 24,931
Local Time: 07:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlsAloudFan View Post
Did Phanan write Desert Island Disk?


I demand a co-writing credit.

I still need to listen to this thing. Can't wait since the first two tracks were great.
__________________
phanan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 09:30 AM   #144
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
iron yuppie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Pushing my wheel of love.
Posts: 8,797
Local Time: 06:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
Hearing TLW after the overarching concept of the album had dawned on me...I haven't been so emotionally rocked by a song since returning to Blackstar and discovering everything Bowie had left for us. For those of us who have always loved the original and appreciated it as one of the few relatively hopeful Radiohead songs, this new version is basically Thom telling his audience that love is a lie and everything is hopeless. And that's the last word we get.
The slightly discordant pianos and bass rumbles that come in about half-way through are particularly unsettling, and a poignant expression of how disorienting loss can be. The line "I'm not living / I'm just killing time" is the most striking to me. Yes, this song is brilliant in this form.
__________________
iron yuppie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 09:56 AM   #145
Blue Crack Addict
 
Lancemc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ba Sing Se
Posts: 17,534
Local Time: 08:29 AM
Present Tense is really amazing. Feels the most of anything here like IN RAINBOWS, blah ought it would be one of that album's better songs.
__________________
Lancemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 10:07 AM   #146
New Yorker
 
BEAL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Des Moines
Posts: 2,540
Local Time: 12:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancemc View Post
Present Tense is really amazing. Feels the most of anything here like IN RAINBOWS, blah ought it would be one of that album's better songs.

Was wondering if any love for Present Tense. Probably the warmest, happiest sounding song on the album. (Don't know lyrics so could be complete opposite mood)

But love the song and might be my fav


Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
__________________
BEAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 10:21 AM   #147
Blue Crack Addict
 
joyfulgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 16,567
Local Time: 06:29 AM
It feels good to howl "broken hearts make it rain" first thing in the morning.
__________________
joyfulgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 11:16 AM   #148
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
gump's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: NYC
Posts: 7,321
Local Time: 07:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
Fuck, this album is sinking in now. Seriously, I hope Thom is OK. I don't mean that in a "is Bono OK" sort of way. He looks like fucking shit in the Daydreaming video and three of these songs reference anxiety attacks.

The lyrics of Glass Eyes, my God. Perfect description of depression after a breakup. The video for Daydreaming actually fits this track perfectly.

Hearing TLW after the overarching concept of the album had dawned on me...I haven't been so emotionally rocked by a song since returning to Blackstar and discovering everything Bowie had left for us. For those of us who have always loved the original and appreciated it as one of the few relatively hopeful Radiohead songs, this new version is basically Thom telling his audience that love is a lie and everything is hopeless. And that's the last word we get.
It really seems like this is Thom is at his most direct lyrically. There are signs everywhere of a very troubled phase in his life post-breakup: "It's too late/the damage is done" in Daydreaming; "And in your life there comes a darkness" in Decks Dark; "as my world comes crashing down" in Present Tense, "Truth will mess you up" in Ful Stop. Damn.

In a way, I feel like Daydreaming is a good snapshot of the album. There is great sadness and melancholy, but also tremendous anxiety and that unsettling mood with the dissonant strings and reverse vocals at the end.
__________________
gump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 01:17 PM   #149
War Child
 
purpleblackeye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 504
Local Time: 12:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAL View Post
Was wondering if any love for Present Tense. Probably the warmest, happiest sounding song on the album. (Don't know lyrics so could be complete opposite mood)

But love the song and might be my fav


Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
interesting you say that, as I find Present Tense one of the saddest and emotional on the album. It's also my favorite.

This album is another classic for me. I don't know how they stay true to their art form and still manage to be successful commercially. Probably the only non-mainstream/avant-garde rock band to be able to attract such world wide attention. Sadly, some might argue that U2 can't or won't do that anymore.
__________________
purpleblackeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 01:19 PM   #150
War Child
 
purpleblackeye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 504
Local Time: 12:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gump View Post
It really seems like this is Thom is at his most direct lyrically. There are signs everywhere of a very troubled phase in his life post-breakup: "It's too late/the damage is done" in Daydreaming; "And in your life there comes a darkness" in Decks Dark; "as my world comes crashing down" in Present Tense, "Truth will mess you up" in Ful Stop. Damn.

In a way, I feel like Daydreaming is a good snapshot of the album. There is great sadness and melancholy, but also tremendous anxiety and that unsettling mood with the dissonant strings and reverse vocals at the end.
people saying that, at the end of Daydreaming, he's saying "half of my life" - a reference to being with his partner Rachel Owen for 23 years. The ending of Daydreaming is so haunting. It's almost anxiety inducing, but in a good way if that makes any sense.
__________________

__________________
purpleblackeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:29 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com