RA D IOHE_AD "IN/RAINBOWS" continuing discussion thread part EI8HT...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jingle Bells...
Jingle Bells...

:wink:

no seriously, listen to River by Joni Mitchell (or Sarah McLachlan :rolleyes: ) and compare it to Fog (again)...

:madwife:

i'll take ur word for it elfa. I actually like both versions. To see and hear it live though must be something else. Apparently thom forgot the lyrics to Cymbal Rush and just went into Fog... And they played Knives Out that nite too. The japanese got lucky thats for sure.. they deserve it though.

I smoked enough pot in college listening to Joni to hear a little Joni in everything. :wink:

No, that would be too normal for Radiohead.

You're gonna be in for a few alarms and surprises.

- Kid A
- Treefingers
- In Limbo
- Idioteque

Enjoy.....

Just bought Kid A everyone :dancing: Haven't listened to it yet.

I know Radiohead are weird, but man could at least have given me some fucking lyrics? :angry:

I just pulled out Kid A convinced that there were lyrics included because I know every word! You'll work it out. :wink: I hope you like it. It's a grower for some, others never really like it, and then there's me: love at first listen.

"Fog" always reminded me of John Lennon's "Isolation" for some reason. The live piano versions only affirm this.

Can't wait, listening to it soon, hopefully I stay awake. Problem is I already read the review in 10001 albums to listen to before ya cark it, and they said the critics had wanted to know why Thom Yorke sounded like he was singing in a bath and where the guitars were.

Reviews that don't concern what an album actually is, but what they wanted it to be, make no sense to me. If a critic can't actually review something with an open mind, maybe they should look for a new job. Oh teh noes, no guitarz!11!1!! If a group released an album entirely of kazoo music, as long as it's good, does it matter at all what instruments are or aren't playing?

I will fight all music press that are not to my liking.

:angry:

That's a fair point you raise actually, Rex of B&C.

Now, I haven't got the time to put a review here yet, cos I've gotta go study, but does anyone want to take a stab at which songs I liked? A correct guess will earn you nothing.

Fuck it was weird though :lol:

That's a fair point you raise actually, Rex of B&C.

Now, I haven't got the time to put a review here yet, cos I've gotta go study, but does anyone want to take a stab at which songs I liked? A correct guess will earn you nothing.

Fuck it was weird though :lol:

Optimistic is probably the most immediate song on the album, so I'm gonna guess that you liked that one.

And if you didn't like Idioteque...well then may God have mercy on your soul.

I would have guessed Everything in its Right Place along with the others mentioned.

I remember that one as being the most off-putting track on the entire album the first time I heard it. "Yesterday I woke up sucking a lemon" over and over and over wasn't exactly an easy lyric to digest as the first track I'd heard since OK. :wink:

I was sucking a lot of lemons back then. :wink: I just loved the music and the feel of it. Also, I've always focused more on the "everything in its right place" repetition rather than the "sucking a lemon" part so I've never actually related to the song as a downer at all.

Well got a bit of time to kill now, so here's a bit of review (remember it's only after a listen, I just think this way it creates more interest and discussion).

I had the same sorta feelings I had about Achtung, because I remember Achtung being described as "the sound of four men chopping down the Joshua tree", and wondering if I'd actually like the thing, and I didn't at first. Being a fan of OKC, The Bends and In Rainbows, I wondered whether Kid A, the other masterpiece, would be all that and a bag of chips.

Everything in the Right Place was, catchy, for lack of a better word, but not in a 'awesome song, I'll be singing this for ages' kind of way. I actually had to put headphones on because I couldn't bloody comprehend what I was listening to through speakers. This is probably the 'busiest' album I've ever heard. This'll be a grower, but can't understand the reverence. Yet.

Kid A, I don't even know how to describe it. Pretty garbage, I thought. My least favourite so far, don't know how it counts as a song, it's all computerised. I didn't even realise Thom was singing till about halfway through.

The National Anthem impressed me, more because of the bass and that sort apocalyptic jazzy instrumentalisation (a word?) going on in there. But it goes on for too long I reckon, and the lyrics, likewise for a lot of the album, are nothing to worship, in my opinion.

How to Disappear Completely elicited a "thank god" from me once it got going, cos I thought the entire album was going to continue in an entirely inaccessible fashion. Lovely song, nice acoustic and vocals and lyrics, but the in a little whiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiile, i'm not heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeere began to grate after a while.

Treefingers is more of a mood piece than a song. Good thing it's on an album, would be rather pointless on its own. Nice enough, pretty enough, but it doesn't reeeeally go anywhere. Did it surprise me there was an instrumental? Not in the slightest.

Optimistic I quite liked, :rolleyes:, but mostly for the verses rather than the choruses, which were a bit flat. Probably the most accessible track Ida thought. And nice music again.

In Limbo was weird, can't remember much to be honest, more on it after another listen.

Idioteque I remembered from the bootleg I have, and yeah, it's not half bad. I can see where the critics who said it was a lame attempt at a cheesy dance song were coming from though. But the drum machine et al combine well, a favourite. Global warming?

Morning Bell. Don't they have another song called this or something? And when I printed lyrics off the net there were half of them missing in the song. Weird. Like this number thoughm wish that part before the (is it) the cut the children line.

And then there's Motion Picture Soundtrack, which I thought was just dandy, top three for the time being anyway. Great vocals on top of strings and the rest, I thought it was a great way to end the album, nice mood. I'd love to know the point of making it seven odd minutes though. Is that 40-odd-seconds instrumental piece part of the song do people think? I'm going to chop this track up in itunes.

Best - How to Disappear Completely
Worst - Kid A
Overall - #4 of the four albums I own but methinks it'll be a grower. And hey, it's done better than OKC first did with me. Took me six months to finally listen to that all the way through, now I love it.

Kid A, I don't even know how to describe it. Pretty garbage, I thought. My least favourite so far, don't know how it counts as a song, it's all computerised. I didn't even realise Thom was singing till about halfway through.

Wrong.

Of course, I hated pretty much the entire album until listen #20, so...yeah...:uhoh:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom