RA D IOHE_AD "IN/RAINBOWS" continuing discussion thread part EI8HT...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You haven't seen them this tour yet?

Not yet, the last show of the leg will be my only show this tour. Didn't think I'd even see them this year, but the Marthas are quite awesome. :rockon:

And that's insane that people were actually doing cocaine behind you, Fitz....

And that's insane that people were actually doing cocaine behind you, Fitz....

The "best" was when one of them would go: "Oh my God! This is my favorite song! I love this song! This is my absolute favorite song! I remember the first time I heard this song. I was with Jerry's sister, Rachel. You remember Jerry, right? He had that Philosophy class with your friend Ben. Ben, the one with that sick Mercedes. Yeah, he and I lived in the same dorm Freshman year, but on different floors. He had the really cool sea turtle in the huge-ass tank in his room. We used to go up to his room and . . ." and on and on and on and on.

My thought was: If this is your favorite song, THEN SHUT THE FUCK UP AND ENJOY IT (or at least shut the fuck up so I can enjoy it)!!!!!!!!!

The people behind us at the 2nd night of APW were on coke. Yeah . . . NOT! Mike and I were sitting down while they were setting up for Radiohead, and then I hear Mike groan, "Oh-Oh". And I go what? And he says, "Just to let you know, I just saw all the people behind us snort coke, so be prepared, they're going to be really annoying," and oh yeah, they were! SUPER F***NG ANNOYING! Talked through the entire show -- THE ENTIRE SHOW!

Every chance I got, I moved up to put distance between us and them.

:mad: Dumb cokeheads!

I'm telling you, there are way worse things at a concert than potheads, and here's one right here--cokeheads. I do believe I hate the drunks the most, though.

So I listened to The Bends for the first time, and rather than starting a thread that maybe would get five or six replies, I thought I'd post it up in here, so PAY ATTENTION even though you're all more interested in concert-going at the moment.

So I'd heard Fake Plastic Trees before, which I quite like. It's the type of music I've come to like (and maybe to some extent expect) from Radiohead, but still great. High and Dry I liked straight away, the vocals are just dandy. The Bends too was a bit more upbeat and I liked that, as I did Planet Telex. Good first four. Bones didn't do a great deal for me, neither did Just, though they both got better as they progressed, especially Just, which had some nice guitar work at the end there. Even a bit of screamo (was it this song?) Nice Dream was just that, nice, My Iron Lung was pretty cool, a good rocker, probably the one I liked most of the more up-tempo tracks on first listen. Bullet Proof was another I was a fan of, Black Star I love, man what a kick-ass start to that song. Sulk wasn't as good but had a sick ending, and then Street Spirit, which was the opposite of what I was expecting, ending things on a sombre, albeit good-sounding note.

Favourites so far are Fake Plastic Trees, High & Dry (do RH folks use the ampithand or and), Black Star. Now I implore you all to talk to me about it, what you love/like/dislike/abhor about it, ratings, a bit of histroy/background, whatever.

Oh, and I'm enjoying Quadrophenia too, martha, though I've only listened to Disc1 so far.

I'm infamously anti-Bends - though not as much as I used to be.

Would still never give it more than 3 stars out of 5. It's an album full of flashes of sexiness and things to come, yet never really exciting me as much as OKC and Kid A would.

The Bends (song) is very cool, Fake Plastic Trees bored me for years - sounded so forced! - and then it improved in recent months. High & Dry is sweet and pleasant, yet nothing too spesh. Bones immediately struck me as awesome. 'Just' took a while to grow, as did (nice dream) which is now probably my fave song off the album.

My Iron Lung is Radiohead's most abysmal moment - a real earsore I reckon, Bulletproof & Street Spirit are rather quaint but underwhelming, while Black Star and Sulk deterioated with each listen.

I'm very isolated in my disregard for Bends, everyone else drools over it, but it's probably because I find the b-sides from the era so much more enjoyable than the album itself which undermines the album for me. There's about 12-15 of these bsides. Check out Permanent Daylight, Punchdrunk Lovesick Singalong, Bishop's Robes, India Rubber, Lewis, - love 'em all I do.

Mind you, its only in the past year where I've come to enjoy The Bends a little more. It's the (Nice Dream) factor, once that clicked with me, some of the others did too (FPT and Planet Telex).

Enjoy....

Cool, thanks man. :up: Glad to hear a not-so-awesome account too. I did kinda feel that way about High&Dry/FPT, though not too that extent.

Black Star's sweet, really like it so far.

Sorry to those waiting patiently for my review.

Alright, I’ve never been very good at writing reviews but I’ll give it a try…

Muldy, although I mostly skimmed through your novel – er I mean review, I agree with your assessment of the Molson Amphitheatre – terribly inaccessible for pedestrians. Also, have you ever been to a concert with real people before? People are idiots, no matter where you go, you’d better get used to it or build yourself some sort of isolation booth…

You see in the setlist u2fanatic posted where Thom thanks the people standing in the rain? Yeah, I was one of those people. I was on the lawns at the back and it was pissing down rain when we got there – deafening lightning strikes included (yay!). At the same time, the sky to the west was clear and as the sun was going down it created these incredible rainbows that I am convinced R-Head somehow engineered.

Because we were on the lawn – we had to walk all the way around the venue to the back to get to our entrance and that, coupled with being late already, lead to us finding a decent spot just as Grizzly Bear where wrapping up.

The rain stopped pouring at about 8:30 ish and Radiohead hit the stage at about 8:45-8:50 or so…

From where I was standing, the sound was decent – I was dead center though, I’m not sure what it would have been like to the right or left. I will agree that the crowd up front seemed pretty docile for the most part, I kept looking at the GA’s in front of the stage expecting to see some sort of pit forming – but nothing. But yes, based on the smoke wafting around me, I would estimate at least 50% of the crowd was high.

It seemed more lively in my section to tell the truth, people were dancing and swaying and smoking and drinking and thanks to the wet muddy field we were standing on at a 45 degree angle – falling, which was quite honestly, worth the price of admission just to watch that.

I can’t really complain about the setlist – I got to see Spinning Plates, Talk Show Host, Pyramid Song, Airbag, Planet Telex, Reckoner, House Of Cards and on and on :drool:

Every song sounded great – even the tracks I’m not all that crazy about like The Gloaming or Wolf At The Door were awesome.

High points of the night would be:

- Spinning Plates – :love:
- Talk Show Host – what a treat!
- During No Surprises a flock of seagulls circled overhead and the effect of seeing all these white birds against black sky was very cool – once again I wonder if this was somehow engineered :wink:
- Pyramid Song – a lull in the set but one of my favourite tracks
- Airbag – another one of my favourites
- A guy next to me yelling at his friend who was on his cell phone; “You paid $250 dollars to be here turn off your fucking phone!” :lol:

Overall, as a concert it was one of the best I have seen in years, everything leading up to the show and afterwards was pure torture but that just made the show seem better.

:applaud::hyper: very cool elfa! thanks for gracing us with ur review... I don't think anyone can provide a war and peace novel like muldfield.. :huh: Nor would I want to see another one like that.. So thank you.. :hug:

Sorry to those waiting patiently for my review.

I was on the lawns at the back and it was pissing down rain when we got there – deafening lightning strikes included (yay!). At the same time, the sky to the west was clear and as the sun was going down it created these incredible rainbows that I am convinced R-Head somehow engineered.

Because we were on the lawn – we had to walk all the way around the venue to the back to get to our entrance and that, coupled with being late already, lead to us finding a decent spot just as Grizzly Bear where wrapping up.

The rain stopped pouring at about 8:30 ish and Radiohead hit the stage at about 8:45-8:50 or so…

Haha. Reading this brings it all back. We took the 5:50 Go from Burlington, got in at just before 7. Watched the sky get darker and darker the closer we got to Toronto. About 2 minutes before the train stopped, we could see rain drops on the windows. Got off, hung out in the Food Building hoping it would slacken off soon, but it kept getting worse. Found out about 7:30 from a guy in an information booth that that little train thingy on the map was indeed an Ex-run bus that went around the grounds. He said every 45 minutes, and that he had no idea what time it was expected back at the stop near us. So, about 7:40, we decided to walk. We had an umbrella, but it didn't really help, we were soaked to the skin. The walk into the Amphitheatre didn't seem that long, probably because I was distracted by being wet and cold. Sounds like we got in there about the same time you did. Didn't get to see Grizzly Bear, because my daughter was hunting for t shirts at the time. I heard He Hit Me while I was waiting, though. By the time we got to our seats (not the 300s like I was thinking, the 400s. In other words, the not covered part. Yay!), my jacket was a lost cause, it was drenched, so I took it off. My top dried out during the show, but my jeans were still wet when we got home, around 1:30. My jacket was still damp the next morning. At least we didn't have to contend with mud, I guess. I would have made a piss-poor hippie at Woodstock, I think. :wink:

I'm angry with everyone for either missing Grizzly Bear or not mentioning them at all.

:angry:

by the way the Lollapaloza show was broadcast on XM radio can be found fairly easily for those interested in higher quality boots, I'm just in the processes of downloading it so I'll let you know what the quality is like when I get to listen.

Well, admittedly I've been a big Grizzly Bear fan the last 2 years or so, so I'm biased. Both of their albums and the EP have all been extremely solid, they just keep getting better and better. They are easily posed to become huge (for an indie band) with their next album, as everyone from fans to critics to music press are hyping all the new tracks they've debuted live to the umpteenth degree. I had my mind blown by the idea of being able to see both them AND Radiohead in the same show, so I guess I'm just sad to not hear them mentioned.

by the way the Lollapaloza show was broadcast on XM radio can be found fairly easily for those interested in higher quality boots, I'm just in the processes of downloading it so I'll let you know what the quality is like when I get to listen.

ok, other than it sounding a little "tinny" this is probably the best quality boot I have heard off this tour so far :drool:

I hate audience recordings :angry:

Wow. Nice setlist tonight in Vancouver.

Setlist:
01. 15 Step (Thom, ‘We brought the weather with us.’)
02. There There (Thom ‘How do you like the rain? It’s ok, you’ll get used to it.’)
03. Morning Bell
04. All I Need
05. Where I End And You Begin (Thom, ‘Alright no one get hurt out there tonight’)
06. Talk Show Host
07. Nude (Thom addresses crowd surfers, ‘Take it easy guys! Its not fucking Rage Against The Machine.’)
08. Arpeggi
09. The National Anthem
10. Bangers And Mash (Thom, ‘This is a nasty little song.’)
11. Faust Arp (during the middle of the song Thom tells a heckler, ‘Shut the fuck up, you’re not funny you just don’t get out much.’)
12. Videotape
13. Karma Police (Thom, ‘I think we are confused. This one is called Karma Police.’)
14. Jigsaw Falling Into Place
15. Just
16. Exit Music [For A Film] (someone yells out I love you Thom. Thom replies whilst singing, I love you too darling.’)
17. Bodysnatchers

Encore 1
18. House of Cards (Thom, ‘During this song you have to snog the person next to you.’)
19. Optimistic (Thom, ‘Ok we know its raining and that’s a bummer, but fuck it this is Optimistic.’)
20. You And Whose Army? (Thom, ‘That’s show business!’)
21. Planet Telex (Thom, ‘Thank you everybody.’)
22. Everything In Its Right Place

Encore 2
23. Reckoner (Thom, ‘Ok, this is for making you feel warm inside.’)
24. 2+2=5
25. Paranoid Android (Thom,’This is the last song and you the viewers get to choose. Idioteque or Paranoid Android?’)

The crowd got to choose the last song?! That is really awesome.

25. Paranoid Android (Thom,’This is the last song and you the viewers get to choose. Idioteque or Paranoid Android?’)

The crowd got to choose the last song?! That is really awesome.

Please don't make me ever have to choose. :no: As much as I love Paranoid, Idioteque was probably the highlight for me of both shows I saw. I can't get enough of it.

Sounds like a rowdy crowd. Did they run out of pot in Vancouver or something? :wink:

07. Nude (Thom addresses crowd surfers, ‘Take it easy guys! Its not fucking Rage Against The Machine.’)
:lol:

11. Faust Arp (during the middle of the song Thom tells a heckler, ‘Shut the fuck up, you’re not funny you just don’t get out much.’)

Now we have to have a raging debate if Thom is a bastard, or just simply human.

Don't we?

I think that's what I like the most about them; the more you listen to their music the more it seems you are rewarded with something you didn't pick up on originally...

HTTT took me forever to "get" but when it clicked it was amazing - one of my favourite albums now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom