RA D IOHE_AD "IN/RAINBOWS" continuing discussion thread part EI8HT...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I need your help, people.

I've never been a big Radiohead fan. I know (and love) a handful of their songs, but those are just songs that I've heard incidentally. The usual stuff that's played on the radio. My daughter is a bigger fan, and has urged me to get into them more, but honestly, the few attempts I've made have failed miserably. I get the impression that they're one of those bands whom you might listen to to no avail, but if you keep at it, suddenly you'll have an epiphany, and you'll love them.

So, we're going to the Toronto show next week, mainly for her sake, but I want to see them too. I have a feeling that live, they'll win me over. This was supposed to be the summer I was going to immerse myself into their music, but alas, the show is rapidly approaching, and I still haven't. So, what I need from people who have been following setlists this tour is a playlist of songs that I'm likely to hear at the show, so I'll at least have some familiarity with them. I do know they've been playing most of the new album, but what else do I need to listen to?

Check out some of the setlists posted in this thread--they're representative. They will play most of the new record, and they will most definitely play "Idioteque" and "Everything in its Right Place," and there's a good chance you'll hear "National Anthem" (and I hope you will), "Morning Bell," and "You and Whose Army." So, lots of "Kid A" and a random selection of stuff from all their records.

Their most well-known songs that you might want to familiarize yourself with are Karma Police, Fake Plastic Trees and Paranoid Android. You should memorize these songs immediately, and love them forever. :wink:

I hope you have great seats and an amazing experience!

I've never been a big Radiohead fan. I know (and love) a handful of their songs, but those are just songs that I've heard incidentally. The usual stuff that's played on the radio. My daughter is a bigger fan, and has urged me to get into them more, but honestly, the few attempts I've made have failed miserably. I get the impression that they're one of those bands whom you might listen to to no avail, but if you keep at it, suddenly you'll have an epiphany, and you'll love them.

So, we're going to the Toronto show next week, mainly for her sake, but I want to see them too. I have a feeling that live, they'll win me over. This was supposed to be the summer I was going to immerse myself into their music, but alas, the show is rapidly approaching, and I still haven't. So, what I need from people who have been following setlists this tour is a playlist of songs that I'm likely to hear at the show, so I'll at least have some familiarity with them. I do know they've been playing most of the new album, but what else do I need to listen to?

You are in luck that In Rainbows is the new album as its the most user-friendly album since The Bends. Even MY wife likes that album. You'll get lots of play off that for sure.

Here's my blog which has the current setlists :

Radiohead 2008 Tour

Here's the recently voted Top 50 Radiohead songs. Should be helpful to you.

50 Last Flowers (on In Rainbows (bonus) ) 1535 points, 44 votes
49 Bulletproof (I Wish I Was...) (on The Bends ) 1555 points, 46 votes
48 Cuttooth (on Knives Out Single ) 1620 points, 40 votes
47 The Bends (on The Bends ) 1775 points, 49 votes
46 Fog (on Knives Out Single ) 1995 points, 57 votes
45 True Love Waits (on I Might Be Wrong EP (live) ) 2005 points, 46 votes
44 Knives Out (on Amnesiac ) 2065 points, 58 votes
43 Talk Show Host (on Street Spirit Single ) 2135 points, 55 votes
42 Bodysnatchers (on In Rainbows ) 2205 points, 57 votes
41 In Limbo (on Kid A ) 2285 points, 57 votes
40 My Iron Lung (on The Bends ) 2300 points, 58 votes
39 Morning Bell (on Kid A/Amnesiac ) 2365 points, 64 votes
38 Just (on The Bends ) 2375 points, 60 votes
37 All I Need (on In Rainbows ) 2380 points, 60 votes
36 Dollars and Cents (on Amnesiac ) 2395 points, 60 votes
35 The Tourist (on Ok Computer ) 2400 points, 60 votes
34 I Might Be Wrong (on Amnesiac ) 2400 points, 63 votes
33 Planet Telex (on The Bends ) 2415 points, 63 votes
32 Subterranean Homesick Alien (on Ok Computer ) 2420 points, 55 votes
31 Jigsaw Falling In Place (on In Rainbows ) 2545 points, 63 votes
30 Where I End and You Begin (on HTTT ) 2555 points, 58 votes
29 Kid A (on Kid A ) 2585 points, 64 votes
28 Videotape (on In Rainbows ) 2600 points, 66 votes
27 15 Step (on In Rainbows ) 2700 points, 64 votes
26 A Wolf At The Door (on HTTT ) 2735 points, 62 votes
25 Optimistic (on Kid A ) 2800 points, 65 votes
24 Motion Picture Soundtrack (on Kid A ) 2835 points, 61 votes
23 Like Spinning Plates (on Amnesiac ) 2960 points, 67 votes
22 Climbing Up The Walls (on Ok Computer ) 3090 points, 69 votes
21 Life In a Glasshouse (on Amnesiac ) 3175 points, 66 votes
20 Karma Police (on Ok Computer ) 3370 points, 73 votes
19 No Suprises (on Ok Computer ) 3420 points, 74 votes
18 Lucky (on Ok Computer ) 3445 points, 72 votes
17 2+2=5 (on HTTT ) 3470 points, 78 votes
16 Weird Fishes/Arpeggi (on In Rainbows ) 3490 points, 71 votes
15 Airbag (on Ok Computer ) 3495 points, 71 votes
14 Nude (on In Rainbows ) 3590 points, 76 votes
13 Street Spirit (Fade Out) (on The Bends ) 3670 points, 76 votes
12 You & Whose Army? (on Amnesiac ) 3765 points, 82 votes
11 Fake Plastic Trees (on The Bends ) 3820 points, 74 votes
10 Everything In Its Right Place (on Kid A ) 4000 points, 81 votes
9 Exit Music (For a Film) (on Ok Computer ) 4330 points, 78 votes
8 The National Anthem (on Kid A ) 4385 points, 86 votes
7 Reckoner (on In Rainbows ) 4530 points, 86 votes
6 Idiotheque (on Kid A ) 5065 points, 87 votes
5 There There (on HTTT ) 5190 points, 82 votes
4 Let Down (on Ok Computer ) 5335 points, 82 votes
3 How To Disappear Completely (on Kid A ) 5510 points, 85 votes
2 Pyramid Song (on Amnesiac ) 5885 points, 86 votes
1 Paranoid Android (on Ok Computer ) 6055 points, 92 votes

Board Message

Good luck, tough to get into initially but when they click they'll be one of your favorites. :wave:

Check out some of the setlists posted in this thread--they're representative. They will play most of the new record, and they will most definitely play "Idioteque" and "Everything in its Right Place," and there's a good chance you'll hear "National Anthem" (and I hope you will), "Morning Bell," and "You and Whose Army." So, lots of "Kid A" and a random selection of stuff from all their records.

Their most well-known songs that you might want to familiarize yourself with are Karma Police, Fake Plastic Trees and Paranoid Android. You should memorize these songs immediately, and love them forever. :wink:

I hope you have great seats and an amazing experience!

Thanks! Yeah, those latter three songs I know and love, along with Creep (that's their Streets, isn't it? :wink: except that they don't play it anymore), Exit Music For a Film, My Iron Lung, High and Dry, and probably a few others I can't recall at the moment. I've heard all of the new album briefly, and while I can't say I fell in love with it instantly (except House of Cards, loved that from the first listen :drool: ), I liked it enough to know I should listen to it more.

I think my most recent foray into unknown Radiohead was The Bends. That was over a year ago, though.

Our seats aren't bad, it's an outdoor amphitheatre with a GA pit, 4 sections of seating, and then a back lawn. We're in the 300s, slightly right of center, if I remember correctly. It's one of those venues though where there really isn't a bad seat.

Thanks again!

You are in luck that In Rainbows is the new album as its the most user-friendly album since The Bends. Even MY wife likes that album. You'll get lots of play off that for sure.

Here's my blog which has the current setlists :

Radiohead 2008 Tour

Here's the recently voted Top 50 Radiohead songs. Should be helpful to you.

50 Last Flowers (on In Rainbows (bonus) ) 1535 points, 44 votes
49 Bulletproof (I Wish I Was...) (on The Bends ) 1555 points, 46 votes
48 Cuttooth (on Knives Out Single ) 1620 points, 40 votes
47 The Bends (on The Bends ) 1775 points, 49 votes
46 Fog (on Knives Out Single ) 1995 points, 57 votes
45 True Love Waits (on I Might Be Wrong EP (live) ) 2005 points, 46 votes
44 Knives Out (on Amnesiac ) 2065 points, 58 votes
43 Talk Show Host (on Street Spirit Single ) 2135 points, 55 votes
42 Bodysnatchers (on In Rainbows ) 2205 points, 57 votes
41 In Limbo (on Kid A ) 2285 points, 57 votes
40 My Iron Lung (on The Bends ) 2300 points, 58 votes
39 Morning Bell (on Kid A/Amnesiac ) 2365 points, 64 votes
38 Just (on The Bends ) 2375 points, 60 votes
37 All I Need (on In Rainbows ) 2380 points, 60 votes
36 Dollars and Cents (on Amnesiac ) 2395 points, 60 votes
35 The Tourist (on Ok Computer ) 2400 points, 60 votes
34 I Might Be Wrong (on Amnesiac ) 2400 points, 63 votes
33 Planet Telex (on The Bends ) 2415 points, 63 votes
32 Subterranean Homesick Alien (on Ok Computer ) 2420 points, 55 votes
31 Jigsaw Falling In Place (on In Rainbows ) 2545 points, 63 votes
30 Where I End and You Begin (on HTTT ) 2555 points, 58 votes
29 Kid A (on Kid A ) 2585 points, 64 votes
28 Videotape (on In Rainbows ) 2600 points, 66 votes
27 15 Step (on In Rainbows ) 2700 points, 64 votes
26 A Wolf At The Door (on HTTT ) 2735 points, 62 votes
25 Optimistic (on Kid A ) 2800 points, 65 votes
24 Motion Picture Soundtrack (on Kid A ) 2835 points, 61 votes
23 Like Spinning Plates (on Amnesiac ) 2960 points, 67 votes
22 Climbing Up The Walls (on Ok Computer ) 3090 points, 69 votes
21 Life In a Glasshouse (on Amnesiac ) 3175 points, 66 votes
20 Karma Police (on Ok Computer ) 3370 points, 73 votes
19 No Suprises (on Ok Computer ) 3420 points, 74 votes
18 Lucky (on Ok Computer ) 3445 points, 72 votes
17 2+2=5 (on HTTT ) 3470 points, 78 votes
16 Weird Fishes/Arpeggi (on In Rainbows ) 3490 points, 71 votes
15 Airbag (on Ok Computer ) 3495 points, 71 votes
14 Nude (on In Rainbows ) 3590 points, 76 votes
13 Street Spirit (Fade Out) (on The Bends ) 3670 points, 76 votes
12 You & Whose Army? (on Amnesiac ) 3765 points, 82 votes
11 Fake Plastic Trees (on The Bends ) 3820 points, 74 votes
10 Everything In Its Right Place (on Kid A ) 4000 points, 81 votes
9 Exit Music (For a Film) (on Ok Computer ) 4330 points, 78 votes
8 The National Anthem (on Kid A ) 4385 points, 86 votes
7 Reckoner (on In Rainbows ) 4530 points, 86 votes
6 Idiotheque (on Kid A ) 5065 points, 87 votes
5 There There (on HTTT ) 5190 points, 82 votes
4 Let Down (on Ok Computer ) 5335 points, 82 votes
3 How To Disappear Completely (on Kid A ) 5510 points, 85 votes
2 Pyramid Song (on Amnesiac ) 5885 points, 86 votes
1 Paranoid Android (on Ok Computer ) 6055 points, 92 votes

Board Message

Good luck, tough to get into initially but when they click they'll be one of your favorites. :wave:

Wow, that's really helpful, thanks! :)

Thanks! Yeah, those latter three songs I know and love, along with Creep (that's their Streets, isn't it? :wink: except that they don't play it anymore), Exit Music For a Film, My Iron Lung, High and Dry, and probably a few others I can't recall at the moment. I've heard all of the new album briefly, and while I can't say I fell in love with it instantly (except House of Cards, loved that from the first listen :drool: ), I liked it enough to know I should listen to it more.

I think my most recent foray into unknown Radiohead was The Bends. That was over a year ago, though.

Our seats aren't bad, it's an outdoor amphitheatre with a GA pit, 4 sections of seating, and then a back lawn. We're in the 300s, slightly right of center, if I remember correctly. It's one of those venues though where there really isn't a bad seat.

Thanks again!

Sounds like you know enough of their songs to enjoy the show. I'd definitely spend some time with Kid A if you have time as they do seem to be favoring that one on this tour, and especially if you're already familiar with OKC and The Bends. We'll expect a full review. :wink:

All Points West Night 2

Setist:
01. Reckoner
02. 15 Step
03. The National Anthem
04. Kid A
05. All I Need
06. Nude
07. Weird Fishes/Arpeggi
08. Where I End And You Begin
09. The Gloaming
10. Faust Arp
11. No Surprises
12. Jigsaw Falling Into Place
13. The Bends
14. Bangers and Mash
15. Everything In Its Right Place
16. Exit Music (For A Film)
17. Bodysnatchers

Encore 1
18. Pyramid Song
19. Videotape (False start. Thom, “I meant to do that.”)
20. Airbag (Thom dedicates to Kings of Leon. “If we were that good looking we’d be famous.”)
21. Fake Plastic Trees
22. There There

Encore 2
23. House of Cards
24. Planet Telex
25. Idioteque

Airbag and Planet Telex! :drool: and they started with Reckoner..:heart:

Honestly, I would go to the record store and buy their albums The Bends and Ok Computer. Listen to them. If you have two ears and a heart you will like them. After that you can go and buy the albums Kid A, Amnesiac, Hail to the Thief and In Rainbows. You will like those, too.

After that I'd say you will be prepared for Radiohead live. Have fun!

I would suggest going by albums, not by songs, since their stuff shines when it's altogether, if that makes any sense.

I'd go in this order if you're prepping for the show (Based on the popularity within the setlists):

In Rainbows - Their newest and it's pretty damn good
OK Computer - Their best album, in my opinion
Kid A - This will be a tough listen at first... or you may love it, who knows?
The Bends - The straight-forward rock album and it's fucking sweet
Amnesiac - The follow-up to Kid A, with more of a loose electronica feel
Hail to the Thief - An attempt at blending their electronica phase with their rock roots... It's a little uneven, but there are some killer songs on here
Pablo Honey - They rarely play anything from here, unless it's Creep, but I've grown to really enjoy it over time.

Hope this helps.

If you have two ears and a heart you will like them.

It worked for me and Phil Collins. :wink:

I would suggest going by albums, not by songs, since their stuff shines when it's altogether, if that makes any sense.

I'd go in this order if you're prepping for the show (Based on the popularity within the setlists):

In Rainbows - Their newest and it's pretty damn good
OK Computer - Their best album, in my opinion
Kid A - This will be a tough listen at first... or you may love it, who knows?
The Bends - The straight-forward rock album and it's fucking sweet
Amnesiac - The follow-up to Kid A, with more of a loose electronica feel
Hail to the Thief - An attempt at blending their electronica phase with their rock roots... It's a little uneven, but there are some killer songs on here
Pablo Honey - They rarely play anything from here, unless it's Creep, but I've grown to really enjoy it over time.

Hope this helps.

It does help. The problem is, I won't have time to do all that before the show. Procrastination is bad, people. I'll certainly do it after, though. :up:

I know more of Kid A than I thought I did. I already knew, and really like The National Anthem (crazy jazz sounds ftw) and Morning Bell. :drool:

Vintage Punk: This may help you prep for your show vis-a-vis, it's stats from this tour: http://www.ronaldvdberg.nl/RH2008TOUR/index.php

But, you never know what song they might throw in...

I was recovering today from All Points West Friday and Saturday, I'm getting old. :D Radiohead was out of this world at both shows! I saw them in Atlanta in May and while the show was great, these two shows kicked its arse, they have hit their stride. They swapped out 10 songs from Friday for 10 different ones Saturday, so we got a lot of stuff! Friday we got the close your eyes and sway setlist, on Saturday we got the head-rockin set. Preferred Saturday if I had to pick but excellent both days! Gorgeous nights, gorgeous music!

I was at the first night of All Points West on Friday. It was my first Radiohead concert after just really getting into them this spring. I was completely blown away. It was the second best concert I've ever seen (Vertigo Tour is number one). We got such a great setlist. The light show is among the best I've ever seen.

It was great to hear some of my favorite Radiohead tracks at that show like There There, Jigsaw Falling Into Place, Lucky, Idioteque, Just, Everything in Its Right Place, and How to Disappear Completely. It was also great to hear You and Whose Army since I just really got into that song a couple of weeks ago.

As for Paranoid Android, all I can say is that I completely freaked out. Absolutely perfect. :drool:

Vintage Punk: This may help you prep for your show vis-a-vis, it's stats from this tour: Radiohead 2008 Tour Statistics

But, you never know what song they might throw in...

I was recovering today from All Points West Friday and Saturday, I'm getting old. :D Radiohead was out of this world at both shows! I saw them in Atlanta in May and while the show was great, these two shows kicked its arse, they have hit their stride. They swapped out 10 songs from Friday for 10 different ones Saturday, so we got a lot of stuff! Friday we got the close your eyes and sway setlist, on Saturday we got the head-rockin set. Preferred Saturday if I had to pick but excellent both days! Gorgeous nights, gorgeous music!

that's so awesome!! ur so lucky 2 shows in a row with great setlists.. :drool: RH loves festivals= long setlists and mixing it up. I gotta catch them again at a festival, saw them at Coachella a few yrs ago and it was great.

I hope these shows show up on DIME.

Now. I have about $35 bucks left on my JB HiFi voucher.

Should I use it on:
1. Quadrophenia
2. Put it towards a cricketing DVD or
3. The Bends, Kid A and another David Bowie/Bruce Springsteen/Nick Drake album

Now. I have about $35 bucks left on my JB HiFi voucher.

Should I use it on:
1. Quadrophenia
2. Put it towards a cricketing DVD or
3. The Bends, Kid A and another David Bowie/Bruce Springsteen/Nick Drake album

Smiths compilation

or if you must choose outta those options.....go for Kid A....

I saw them in Atlanta in May and while the show was great, these two shows kicked its arse, they have hit their stride.

Hear that, marth? We have ass-kicking shows to come. :drool: Second leg is always better.

I have high hopes for SB, being the last show of the North American tour.

I just hope you'll get the tickets...

from w.a.s.t.e. today...

The only tickets that are yet to be mailed are those for the shows on the 27th and 28th August (Chula Vista and Santa Babara). These tickets will all be dispatched, from our New York office, on Wednesday of this week. We will e-mail you as soon as we have the tracking numbers

:hyper:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom